00 1.3 Car Won't Start - Singularity
Hi everyone, this is a bit of a long one and starts off with pulling into a petrol station filling up and the car not starting. The engine turned over, the fuel pump primed and there was a spark.

The RAC came and managed to get it started by disconnecting one of the injectors, turning the engine over then quickly reconnecting it. As soon as I stopped and tried to restart, the same thing happened. He suggested that the injectors weren't getting enough fuel so check the fuel lines, filter and pump.

I was also able to get it started by disconnecting the fuel return pipe so I figured that maybe it was blocked (it would also start if left for a day).

After reading up on here, a few other people had similar problems so I replaced the pump and cleaned the lines. This made no difference (it would start fine for a day or two then not start).

I started wondering if the crank angle sensor was faulty, when I disconnected it, the car would not start (as expected), when I then connected it, the car would start fine. Great I thought, its either the sensor or the wiring going to it.

I then noticed that when I did get it started, the cooling fan came on virtually straight away. After doing some research, it could be the cooling system going into safe mode so was going to check the thermostat, engine temperature sensor and water pump.

When I was about to do this (about two weeks after calling the RAC out), I noticed that the battery warning light comes on now (this didn't happen before). I used a meter across the battery terminals which showed it was not charging. When I leave the engine running with all the lights etc on, I can see the voltage of the battery dropping.

So I seem to have three separate problems: car wont start, cooling fan comes on and battery not charging !!

I really don't know what to tackle first, surely I can't have all three problems at the same time? (I guess its possible that the cooling fan has been coming on straight away for a while and I've just not noticed)

When the car does start, it runs fine.

I'm hoping that someone is going to tell me that its the alternator (or something like that) which is also causing the other symptoms.

Thanks (and pulling whats left of my hair out),
Pete
00 1.3 Car Won't Start - Robin the Technician
Hi Pete,
My first thoughts on this is you may have filled up with some 'manky' fuel. It seems coincidental that all your problems have stemmed from that fill up (I assume you did fill it with petrol). I would drain the fuel out and retain it - then fill up with a couple of gallons of new fuel (not from the same source). I also think you need to charge the battery up and replace the alternator as its no longer charging. It could be low battery causing the injectors not to fire so charging the battery may well eliminate the problem.

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician

Edited by Robin the Technician on 17/02/2010 at 11:27

00 1.3 car Won't Start - Singularity

Update: I replaced the fuel pump, cleaned out the fuel system, stripped and cleaned the alternator, replaced the thermostat, checked the waterpump, flushed out the cooling system.

car started first time, the alternator was charging and the cooling fan didn't come on straight away. Great I thought. Left the car running till it got hot, tried to start it again... nothing. Same as before, turned over but wouldn't start. checked the plugs and they were black, with a strong smell of pretol. as soon as the engine cooled down, it starts fine.

So now I think that the engine is being supplied with too much fuel when the engine is hot (on startup) so I did some research and it pointed me to the coolant temp sensor. This is used by the ecU for calculating the amount of fuel to be supplied during startup. It made sense to me that if it was faulty, that too much fuel could possibly be supplied. I have just taken it off and it was very rusty so I've cleaned it up and replaced. Didn't fix the problem.

Is it worth replacing the coolant temp sensor? Is there a way I can test it with a meter? Is there anything else I can check. Really out of ideas now, the sensor is my final hope before taking it to a garage.

Thanks, Pete

00 1.3 car Won't Start - Singularity

Fixed it!

Just thought I'd write an update for anyone who has a similar problem.

I solved it by changing the cooling temperature sensor (cost about £10 for a new one) and it starts fine, even when hot.

The only problem I have now is when driving, if I press down hard on the accelerator, the car gets very jumpy. Anyone got any ideas what that could be? It didn't used to happen before but I've cleaned up so many different components in the engine now, that I could have introduced the problem.

Thanks

00 1.3 car Won't Start - Wortus

I have exactly the same problem with a 2004 Fiesta 1.4.

After reading this post I have had the cooling temperature sensor changed and the problem is still there. It starts fine when cold but won't start when the engine is hot.

Any ideas as to what I should do next?