Service date and vehicle registration date - SteelSpark
I just got a reminder through from the dealership that my 12 month service is due soon.

According to the V5C the vehicle registration date is March 25th 2009. Is that the date from which the service due date is calculated (i.e. the 12 month service should be done by March 25th 2010)?

Also, if I were to take it in, say on February 20th, would the next service be due by February 20th 2011 or March 25th 2011 (assuming March 25th is the current due date)?

Any guidance appreciated. Thanks.
Service date and vehicle registration date - piston power
Yes march 25th is your service date and around that time the spanner light or maintenance light which ever car you have say a vauxhall it will say INSP on the clock,

If you take it in on feb get them to re set the service light they forgot with mine it was done a month before and one latter it came on after service!

Also you don't have to use the main dealers a local good indie will do the work.
If you take it in on feb get them to re set the service light
they forgot with mine it was done a month before and one latter it came
on after service!

Thanks bigtee. Your comment seems to suggest that the service interval is indeed reset if you take it in early (i.e. the next service is due 12 months after the previous service, not 12 months after the previous service was due). Is that right?
Also you don't have to use the main dealers a local good indie will do
the work.

OK. Does the indie need to be Ford approved (it is a Mondeo BTW)? My understanding was that it had to be done via a Ford approved dealership, during the warranty period (which I believe is the first 3 years).

Edited by SteelSpark on 14/02/2010 at 13:53

Yes you will need the service light re set otherwise it will come on as for the servicing any good local indie will do the work but warranty will have to go back to ford and any ford garage will do.

On mine i re set the service INSP myself it's easy on the vauxhall maybe the ford is similar otherwise they will have to plug in and re set.
any good local indie will do the work but warranty will have
to go back to ford and any ford garage will do.

Thanks again bigtee. Can you help me out a bit more here because I am not used to the lingo or how this works.

You say that any good indie will do it, but that the warranty will have to "go back to Ford". What does that mean?

Then you say that any Ford garage will do. Does that mean that the indie has to be Ford approved, or is that somehow related to the "going back to Ford".

Sorry to be a pain with all the questions, but this is a big blindspot for me.

Thanks.
Service date and vehicle registration date - ifithelps
... but this is a big blindspot for me...

At one time, car makers made servicing at a franchise a condition of the warranty.

Ford were never that insistent, but the conditions were ruled 'anti-competitive' a few years ago, meaning that any VAT registered garage can do the work without endangering the warranty.

However, it makes no sense to take a year-old car to anywhere other than the franchised dealer for that make.

The independent may be no cheaper.

The franchise should also be more knowledgeable about the car, and be able to get warranty work authorised.

So use the franchise dealer unless for some reason you are literally unable to do so.

Service date and vehicle registration date - bathtub tom
If the servicing is not carried out by a dealer for that manufacturer, then in order to keep the warranty valid the servicing must be carried out to the manufacture's specification using parts that meet the manufacturer's specification - I believe!

If the servicing is not carried out by a dealer for that manufacturer, then you may not benefit from any 'updates' that may otherwise be due for your car.
You say that any good indie will do it, but that the warranty will have to "go back to Ford". What does that mean?

Just to clarify some more, Ford dealers will do the warranty work if there is any to do & any ford garage will do it for example if the head gasket has gone on your holiday in scotland your not going to drive to london were you bought it from so any ford main dealer will do warranty.

Then you say that any Ford garage will do. Does that mean that the indie has to be Ford approved, or is that somehow related to the "going back to Ford".

Any local indie will work to main dealers servicing scedules fitting parts genuine service parts., better go to a local indie rather than the fast fit place in my opinion.

Hope that clears it up for you?
Service date and vehicle registration date - kithmo
Obviously it's due 12 months from the previous service. For example, eggagerating it a bit, if you took it in 6 months early, would you expect to get away with an 18 month interval to the next ?
My local dealer says Ford are 1 month/1000 miles tolerant on due services, to keep it in warranty, so you could take it a month early and have the next one 13 months later.
I'm actually in a stuation where my mondeo was done 3 months early. I bought it at 9 months old and the supplier (non-Ford BTW) gave it it's first service free as part of the deal. this means that I have to have it serviced 12 months later (give or take a month), which is 3 months earlier than the scheduled Ford 2nd service date.

Edited by kith on 14/02/2010 at 14:58

For example my new astra in 2006 1st service i year later done at vauxhall,

The next service at 2yrs old was done at a indipendent garage they have to use genuine parts & stamp the book the reason i went there is it's 5 mins walk from home and much cheaper.

Now on the second service the drive shaft oil seal was leaking they told me it would have to back to vauxhall to be done free under warranty.

At 3yrs i did it myself for a quarter of the price and wrote in the book and will continue to do this as im keeping it.
Service date and vehicle registration date - cheddar

Noooooooo!

Get it serviced by a franchised dealer until at least a year after the warranty has expired.

Yes, if it serviced correctly with genuine parts by an indy the warranty will be theoretically unnaffected however a dealer can always question whether a problem was caused by the indy, additionally you are likely to get goodwill well beyond the expiry of the warranty if the car has a full manufacturer's service history and the car will retain more value if it has full manufacturer's service history.

Lastly the dealer will not always be more expensive.
Service date and vehicle registration date - andyp
I am always slightly puzzled at how someone will spend thousands of pounds buying a new car, then risk creating problems with their warranty which could prove very costly by trying to save £30 on a service by not going to the dealer !
Presumably these are the same people who used to spend all morning phoning around trying to save 50p on an oil filter for their Cortina back in the days when i ran a motor factors.

Edited by andyp on 14/02/2010 at 19:31

Service date and vehicle registration date - BigJohnD
The other issue is that as now so many cars are "fly by wire", only the Franchised Dealer has access to the necessary software for updates, full fault detection and reconfiguration. Electronic Gearboxes is a typical example.

While this may be considered anti-competitive (and a down right pain for minor items), the manufacturers have done all the research and developement, and wish to protect their commercial interests.