98 1.6 Flickering Lights - Kildrummy
The headlights, dashboard lights and interior lights all flicker on my Astra. The problem seems to be worse when the car is first started and on the early part of any journey. I'm still trying to figure out if there is anything that happens while driving that makes this worse i.e. accelerating, braking, cornering etc.

The lights never go out they only flicker.

The drive belt on the alternator is tight enough and the battery seems to be ok.

The car was off the road and unused for a few months before I got it and the previous owner had not experienced this problem.

I would appreciate any comments or advice you may have.

Thanks
98 1.6 Flickering Lights - Dynamic Dave
Might be worth checking the alternator earth and battery to body earth connections.

Do they flicker all the time or only when the steering wheel is turned? The PAS pump on these is electric and demands quite a bit of current from the battery and charging system.
98 1.6 Flickering Lights - elekie&a/c doctor
I would start by checking the alternator charging voltage.If you can see a fluctuation of volt reading this could be a pssible alternator fault.Any problem with the power steering?hth
98 1.6 Flickering Lights - Peter.N.
I would agree, connect a voltmeter across the battery, with the enginen running it should read 14 volts or more, this should be a steady reading although it might rise slightly in the first minute or so.
98 1.6 Flickering Lights - Kildrummy
Thanks for the advice. I am now thinking it might have something to do with the power steering pump. sometimes when I start the car and go to move off the power steering doesn't seem to have kicked in then after a few seconds its alright.

When I start the car first thing in the morning the lights flicker, without turning the steering wheel but could the pump be running and draining power? I also notice that while I'm on the move if I switch any additional electrics on e.g. spotlamps, heater fan etc. this causes momentary flickering of the lights.

SQ

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 11/02/2010 at 18:39

98 1.6 Flickering Lights - Peter.N.
I should still check the battery voltage, you may have a faulty regulator.
98 1.6 Flickering Lights - philip broadbent

hey kildrummy I'm having the same described problem with my astra diesel just wondering if u ever resolved the issue?? mine also is at its worst at 1st use the headlights dip radio cuts out even wipers pause. in a morning it is really bad like every few seconds but after driving a while it's not so bad now and then more seems to be when turning any help would be great cheers phil