98 2.0 Recent Purchase, few things gone wrong - TA_s
Hi all, a family member is on the forum and recomended I post my problem up here. Here's the scenario:

Bought the car in late December, my attention was drawn to new brake discs and pads but a missing aerial and dodgy central locking. Fair's fair £1500 later and it was mine. I have driven maybe 800 miles, but it has been laid up in a car park (secure, work) in the recent snow for about 3 weeks while I was out of the country.

I come back and notice a knocking sound from the rear d/s wheel. Probably just a bit of rust thinks I, but it can't be got rid of on the drive home. Dropped it into a local garrage and got the report back this afternoon.

Requires new disks and pads all over - a rear caliper havs totally seized up and the discs look like the have been sat in the sea for a year. Could this corrosion really occur in the recent bad weather, to new brakes? The garage mechanic thought it possible if they were not fitted right (not enough grease???).

Front N/S CV joint has rusted through and snapped, killing an ABS (reluctor??) ring.

Rear N/S wheel bearing has gone completely. Having just checked the MOT history it was advised there was 'play' on the bearing on a MOT failure 6 days before the dealer resubmitted it and got it passed. The pass cert had no advisory though - could it have been missed, or would it have been fixed? Just don't like that it had been spotted to be iffy, and then fails on me.

I advised the dealer of the faults and they are having their mechanic take a look at it, but I should expect to pay for parts myself.

I would really appreciate some advise on what I should expect. Is it reasonable not to expect to shell out to fix these faults a car I've only had a month and a half? Even in poor weather with snow and grit in the mix things should things have died this quickly??
98 2.0 Recent Purchase, few things gone wrong - piston power
Im reckoning on a cost of approx £6-700 to fix these problems was this bought from a garage a 1998 car or private?

If a garage i reckon they will get out of it with wear and tear but it should be fit for the road, if private you don't have a leg to stand on sold as seen.

The discs will corrode if left for 3 weeks in damp weather they can be rubbed with emery cloth or skimmed but it all depends on the amount of wear a picture for us would help?

As for the caliper yes they do seize there is a lot of work there to fix and the bearing play have you had a quote for this repair and was this at a independent garage or a fast fit?