Pothole reporting - it works! - JH
I'm pretty sure it was HJ who told us about potholes.co.uk. Well I've reported a chunk of road nearby where half the carriageway is subsiding into a nearby stream. 24 hours later I have an email from the council saying it's been inspected and it will be repaired "within 28 days". Amazing!

It goes without saying that the roads are currently worse than I have ever seen them. If I reported every pot hole on the drive into town I'd come across as somewhat obsessive. But repairs are being made. On one journey I started playing "spot the temporary traffic lights" there were so many holes being patched. At one point there were two men on "Go/Stops". The hole being patched was not going to take long enough to be worth getting the traffic lights out. At another point a workman was working in the middle of a junction filling a hole and - no cones /lights/nothing at all. Well, maybe a hard hat. He obviously didn't expect to be there for long. Of course we might ask how long these repairs will last... I didn't see any rollers or anything similar. But I'm sure the heaviest of the men gave the repair a good jumping on. Cynical - me? :-)

JH

Pothole reporting - it works! - bathtub tom
Yes. I agree.

Someone's put some white paint around those I reported a week ago!
Pothole reporting - it works! - Old Navy
Our council was good with pothole repairs, don't know what they will be like now they have been "snowed under". :-)
Pothole reporting - it works! - redviper
Ive used fixmystreet.com
Local council to me seem to be ok at fixing them, some of them are poorly patched up, others are a good job.
Our council has a defect reporting page on the transportation service part of their website for road defects, duff streetlights, etc. I wonder how much it reduces their inspection costs getting the residents to do the reporting?
ON,
to be fair they can't fix a hole if they don't know about it. The choices would seem to be; wait until it causes sufficiently serious damage for a claim to be raise against them, which may include injury or death, then fix it and pay compensation out of the council tax I've paid, patrol every street every day and DIY. I'll vote for DIY and keep a few bob off the council tax.
JH
Pothole reporting - it works! - bathtub tom
>>I wonder how much it reduces their inspection costs getting the residents to do the reporting?

How much extra council tax would you be prepared to pay to get council employees to inspect roads on a regular basis and wander around at night checking street lights were working?

There's an army of us with nothing better to do than, erm, waste our time on forums. ;>)
Pothole reporting - it works! - David Horn
Reported vast quantities of mud on a steep hill - email from council within two days saying it will be cleared shortly. Unfortunately, mud still there 3 weeks later but one lives in hope.

It takes at least 10 car lengths to stop from 15 mph on the hill at the moment, don't know who you'd claim against if there was an accident - the farmer for leaving it there or the council for not cleaning it up.
>>don't know who you'd claim against if there was an accident -
the farmer for leaving it there or the council for not cleaning it up.

>>
Farmer.
OK I get the message, I'm off to check the surrounding 100 square miles or so. :-)

On a more serious note, when I have reported defects the council acknowledge the report by email and usually fix it within a week or so.
Pothole reporting - it works! - zookeeper
i noticed a lot of speed cushions have tarmac missing around the edges, makes them even more damaging if you ask me as they effectivily protrude more , and generally not so much potholes around as such , more like the 20mm topping seems to have been lost on large patches of road, i suppose they will worsen with time

Edited by zookeeper on 08/02/2010 at 16:56

Pothole reporting - it works! - sierraman
i noticed a lot of speed cushions have tarmac missing around the edges <<

I've come across this,could be damaging to sidewalls.Reported it and they were patched up,but now starting to come apart

Pothole reporting - it works! - teabelly
I've had mixed results with the council. One street near me is diabolical. I reported it 8 months ago and all they did was a tiny bit of rubbish patching which has broken up.

There's too much money in carp road repairs done on the cheap that don't last. Contractors should be paid for number of potholes done and the length of time they last so if they fall to bits within a certain time they are forced to re-repair said hole and they are not paid more for it so they'd then fix them properly.

It might cost more on council tax but how much does it already cost in damaged cars, accidents, increased insurance payouts, deaths, loss of earnings????
My limited experience of council contractors and sub contractors suggests that the council have little interest in monitoring or managing their performance, hence we don't get value for money. Come the revolution...
JH
Pothole reporting - it works! - billy25
In this town they`ve started patching the previous pothole patches! - cheapskates.
Pothole reporting - it works! - oldgit
Annoyingly for me. I went to Hayes Kent yesterday to get my hair cut and had to endure the potholes in the local area. However, when I drove into the Station Approach car park I discovered that much money and time is being spent giving this little money maker, a lovely billiard table re-surface in tarmac with nice new, clear white lines.
What a waste of money and time, when this should be spent on surrounding roads repairs.
Pothole reporting - it works! - Devolution
>> However when I drove into the Station Approach car park

Almost certainly the result of private funding/Network Rail/non council involvement. I've noticed similar with a lot of supermarket car parks, the money is always there and repairs are just done. No budgeting and bean counting.
Pothole reporting - it works! - oldgit
>> However when I drove into the Station Approach car park
Almost certainly the result of private funding/Network Rail/non council involvement. I've noticed similar with a
lot of supermarket car parks the money is always there and repairs are just done.
No budgeting and bean counting.

Don't be mislead by 'Station Approach' as this is the name of the short length of dual carriageway between the shops. The car park in question is, I would imagine, a council car park.
Hayes Station does have its own car park at a nearby location which may be a connected with Network Rail etc.
Pothole reporting - it works! - maz64
I went to Hayes Kent yesterday to get my hair cut

tinyurl.com/yjrxd3q

£10 from Asda - they've paid for themselves many times over :-)
Pothole reporting - it works! - turbo11
I reported approx thirty potholes three to four weeks ago. So far two have been filled. The rest have been marked with spray paint. Since that time, another half dozen have appeared. The rural roads round my way are truly awful.
Pothole reporting - it works! - freddy1
yup that spray paint is a godsend to a motorcyclist

a: the pot poles have not been dilled

b: the local athority , is therefore excempt from claims

c: another biker is injured

as a motorcyclist , my comments would be deleted by the "mods" (oh ere ,, scooter riders?) of this forum