06 1.6 Does this fuel consumption sound correct? - Dazza.G
I have recently purchased a ?06 petrol Focus 1.6 Sport (1.6L chain-cam Duratec 100PS) which has done around 30k. I am struggling to get much above 30mpg on my run to work which is around 8 miles on town roads even when driving as softly/carefully as possible. On longer journeys of around 220 miles I am getting about 36-38mpg at 70mph. The engine is idling at around 9000rpm (when warm) which seams high compared to my old 51 plate 1.6 Corrolla, plus if I coast to a ?stop? the Focus continues to drive forward, albeit very slowly, when in 1st gear without me touching any peddles ? all previous car I have had would of stalled. Does this all sound right or do you think I might have a problem?
06 1.6 Does this fuel consumption sound correct? - sandy56
I am getting better fuel consumption on my v6 Mondeo.
Sounds like you need new plugs as a minimum and maybe a proper garage tune up.
06 1.6 Does this fuel consumption sound correct? - Fullchat
Idling at 9000 rpm- blimey no wonder its thirsty. Surprised its not thrown a rod yet! ;-)

Seriously. These are not the most economical of cars by a long chalk. SWMBO's 05 Focus usually had an average of 38 MPG on the computer.

Its the wrong time of year for MPG checks as the things cant get nice and warm.
Whoops! Sorry, slip of the finger... idling at 900rpm (as you probably guessed).

Thanks for the advice. Maybe a major service with new spark plugs, fuel/oil filers might help then?
06 1.6 Does this fuel consumption sound correct? - Citywhizkid
Do some basic checks: Insure tyre pressures are all ok, clean or replace air filter, replace or clean spark plugs then do a tank to tank check on mpg. If still poor then take in for a tune up or software upgrade check on ECU. Also ensure you regularly take car for a long run and ensure the injectors are clean and not clogged up with town -stop start driving.....ie take for a high speed blast down the local bypass/ m way........
06 1.6 Does this fuel consumption sound correct? - jc2
All modern cars will drive along at idle(once run-in).Idle speed control will open the throttle to maintain idle RPM(which should be about 900) even with the increased load.
06 1.6 Does this fuel consumption sound correct? - bazza
Another very similar thread on here somewhere with identical problem. In my experience of the same car, that's perfectly normal for the type of use and time of year.It isn't an economical car to be honest.
06 1.6 Does this fuel consumption sound correct? - polecat10
The recent cold weather will really affect fuel economy on short runs- I monitor mine all the time and it really dips when it is freezing.
06 1.6 Does this fuel consumption sound correct? - The Melting Snowman
I do not agree with the comments about this car not being economical.

We have the 1.6 ti-VCT and id gives between 36 and 42. Even in the freezing weather it's still giving 36.

Check the things others have mentioned, there's something not quite right to me.
06 1.6 Does this fuel consumption sound correct? - stuartl
Are you basing this MPG on the computer in the car? If so I would take it as a guide rater than fact. I recently left home for a 100 mile journey in my '99 focus with it telling me I had enough fuel left for 248 miles and when I got to my destination it told me I still had 226 miles of fuel left. Either I drove very economically or unwitting took one hell of a shortcut!
Thank you for everybody helpful comments.

Tyres are at the correct pressure so I have booked in for a service inc. new spark plugs, filters etc.

My MPG is calculated on paper for either brim to brim or for a couple of 220mile trips as I have no trip computer in this model.

Been doing some reading and starting to wish I went for the 1.6 ti-VCT engine as it sounds much more economical.