98 1.9 Running fine, now won't start! - Sarg0r
1998 Peugeot 306 Diesel Turbo.

Until yesterday was running perfectly, put the rear heated screen on after starting yesterday morning and the radio went off. Little strange, but radio came back on after a second, so wasn't to concerned. Drove it about 40 miles, just switched to radio off to make sure. The dash needles flicked intermittantly and sometimes stuck in one position but the car ran fine.

After getting in after leaving it for about 5 hours parked up started as normal, although didn't have heated screen, hazards, speedo, rev counter, fuel guage or odometer. The headlights and indicators worked, although the dash needles didn't move at all.

I stopped for about 5 minutes, and when I came back to the car it wouldn't restart. The car turned over but wouldn't fire regardless of how primed the glow plugs were, or how much I pumped the fuel.

I've had a read around and people seem to suggest a 'bad earth'. I have disconnected the battery for approx 30 mins so as to try to reset any fault code in the ECU. I have cleaned the battery terminals, the earth connection to the gearbox, and chassis. This made no difference. I have checked all the fuses, both under the stearing wheel and under the bonnet and all are fine. I have subsequently removed the battery and put it on charge to rule out power supply problems. I also tried turning the car over with jump leads from the negative terminal of the battery to the engine and chassis as well as having the jump leads connected to another car battery (as if jump starting)

There were no warning lights displayed on the dash at anytime.

Any help greatfully appreciated!
98 1.9 Running fine, now won't start! - Peter D
Immobiliser or fuel cut off valve in the injector pump. Regards Peter

Edited by Peter D on 05/02/2010 at 14:15

98 1.9 Running fine, now won't start! - Sarg0r
I don't know that it has an imobiliser, as this model doesn't have a keypad entry like some of the older models, or is it built into the key solenoid?

Any clue where the fuel cut off valve is located, or how I'd check it?
98 1.9 Running fine, now won't start! - Peter D
I think a 98 version had the immobiliser aerial around the ignition barrel and it interacts with a small transponder in the body of the key. Some keys have a small coloured cap over the end. There is a cable going to the injector pump this feed will be live to turn the fuel on. These can stick fo you should try turning it over when someone is tapping the unit with the handle of a hammer. Regards Peter