Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - Clanger
Well I knew the car needed fuel because the display said "low fuel level" and the yellow light was on in case I couldn't read. The computer also said I had fuel for 34 miles so I arrived at the filling station with 27 miles to go. It was awkward because it was busy and I didn't see one row of pumps had jackets on the nozzles until I turned in. As I had the trailer on I thought I would be less of a nuisance going out again, round the roundabout 150 metres away and approaching from the other direction. Just as I was leaving the station, the engine coughed. I made it to the roundabout by the power of prayer and it died completely half-way round.
As I was calling the recovery people, a chap in a scruffy grey 4x4 pulled alongside my left window and offered me a tow. As I was nothing short of a blooming hazard where I was, I accepted. He towed me to the filling station where we ended up out of the way but nowhere near a pump. I was then obliged to buy a horrible plastic can and put 4½ litres of diesel in the car; the other ½ litre having foamed out of the can at my feet. I checked the manual for a fuel primer but none was mentioned so I turned the key and the engine started as though nothing had happened.
The engine management light gleamed on the dash and the display said "Anti pollution fault". Having cancelled the recovery service and got home, I disconnected the battery and came inside for a coffee. It was just the same when I restarted the car half an hour later so I Googled the phrase on the display. It was all very depressing with mention of Eolys fluid, particle filters, hazardous waste and big bills.
I'm not a great subscriber to the world of coincidence so I sat in the car and reset every function on the computer I could think of including the one that says "Check control" which isn't in the manual and I've never known what it is. Next time I started up the engine management light blinked and went out. Sheer luck, I call it. As has happened before when I have disconnected the battery, it feels like I now have another 20bhp under my right foot before the computer gets used to my turgid driving style again.
OK, thank you for listening, you can get back to your lives now.
Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - Altea Ego
Is it ok if we chuckle at your misfourtune into our afternoon tea?
Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - SteveLee
The "fault" will disappear after the engine has gone through so many cold start/warm up cycles. I wouldn't worry about it. I would worry about running out of diesel though, with some fuel pumps this will kill them, you may have already have some "pick up" on the pump's friction surfaces due to running dry - over time these surfaces will eat each other dumping tiny particles of crap into your FI system. Do not run out of fuel if you have a car with a common rail diesel or direct injection petrol FI system. The long-term damage could cost thousands.
Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - drbe
Having nothing better to do, I Googled "anti pollution fault". Most of the responses referred to Peugeots and Citroens. Do these French cars suffer more than other cars with these problems?
Having nothing better to do I Googled "anti pollution fault". Most of the responses referred
to Peugeots and Citroens. Do these French cars suffer more than other cars with these
problems?

Not really, its just that other car makers call them "engine management" faults and bring up the genral fault light.
Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - drbe
During my Googling of "anti pollution fault", I couldn't help noticing in the results that there are a number of people that don't like Peugeots - strange that! One guy had created a site called peugeot sucks.
Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - Mapmaker
That's shocking bad luck. But...

>>37 miles remaining

I call that brave. I fill up with 100 remaining...

>>As I was calling the recovery people,

Rather than walking 150 yards and buying a plastic can?

>>Fuel spilled everywhere

Don't fill these cans to the top.

>>Towed you to the edge of the garage

Couldn't you get him to tow you to the pump? Did you buy him a beer?

Is it ok if we chuckle at your misfourtune into our afternoon tea?

That's why I type my nonsense posts; a smile here, a spurt of tea there ...

That's shocking bad luck. But...
>>37 miles remaining

I call that brave. I fill up with 100 remaining...

Thinking about it, I've never seen it with less than 60 miles before; then it just gives up and displays "--".
>>As I was calling the recovery people,

Rather than walking 150 yards and buying a plastic can?

Yes I didn't want to leave the car unattended. I'd never run this car out of fuel before and I didn't know if it would restart easily. Discretion etc. or possibly a bad decision. If I had walked, I would have missed my tow.
>>Fuel spilled everywhere

Don't fill these cans to the top.

Not with diesel anyway.
>>Towed you to the edge of the garage

Couldn't you get him to tow you to the pump? Did you buy him a beer?

The garage was still stupidly busy. He did well to get me off the road, off the pavement and out of the way. If anyone knows it, it was Peter Marwood's on Darlington Rd Richmond. Not the most enormous of its kind. Beer ? Are you crazy ? Closest pub was the Ship; he'd have probably taken it as an insult.
Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - Alby Back
Bad luck Hawkeye. Haven't run out for years but it's a downer when you do isn't it ? I try to discipline myself to treat the quarter full point on the guage as "empty" these days. There were a few times during the fuel strikes when it all got a a bit sphincter twitching though.
Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - Old Navy
If I remember correctly from the dim distant past when I last read the manual, my Focus drops into limp mode when the fuel reaches a certain level, and cuts out before it runs out to protect the injection system. Doesn't help with mobility if you let it get too low though.

Edited by Old Navy on 03/02/2010 at 17:04

If I remember correctly from the dim distant past when I last read the manual
my Focus drops into limp mode when the fuel reaches a certain level and cuts
out before it runs out to protect the injection system. Doesn't help with mobility if
you let it get too low though.

Very sensible approach by Ford there. I'd hope this approach is adopted across the board, remember the Top Gear test of a Jag diesel (driving to Scotland and back on one tank?) I seem to remember it was running on a cup-full of fuel in the end (judging by the "fueltankcam") - perhaps Jaguar/Ford "helped" with this experiment, turning off the safety system - or perhaps not all cars have it?
Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - LikedDrivingOnce
remember the Top Gear test of a Jag diesel (driving to Scotland and back on
one tank?) I seem to remember it was running on a cup-full of fuel in
the end (judging by the "fueltankcam")

As ever, I stand ready to be corrected, but I thought that the car that accomplished this feat was an Audi A6?
It was an A6.

It was the Jag that drove from Basle to Blackpool on one tank.
Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - Statistical outlier
It wasn't an A6, I saw it on Dave the other day. It was the 4.0 V8 diesel in an A8. An 03 plate if I remember correctly.. They got 37.something MPG.
Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - tyro
I arrived at the filling station with 27 miles to go.

Interesting. I shall have to start erring on the side of even more caution.

I made it to the roundabout by the power of prayer

While not wishing to discourage prayer, I find that on those occasions when I am seriously anxious about running out of fuel, questions about the most economical way of driving cease to be matters of merely academic interest, and become intensely practical.

As I nervously make progress, my mind is filled with these questions. You know the sort of thing: "What speed should I travel at? Is the best policy to slow down to 15 mph? Which gear should I be in? Should I go up hills in the highest possible gear or should I change down? Should I coast down hills in neutral or in top gear? If I have to stop for a minute, should I turn off the engine? etc, etc."

Edited by tyro on 03/02/2010 at 17:20

Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - boxsterboy
Amazing, Hawkeye. EXACTLY the same thing happened to my wife yesterday driving the C8. She ran out of diesel without realising it. I get a panic call from her saying the engine management light came on and the car 'just died'. I get home last night and go to the abandoned car. Sure enough it won't start, and all manner of warning lights 'Anti-Pollution fault', 'Airbag fault' and other error messages are flashing from the dash board. The fuel guage did move slightly and the computer said it had 47 miles left in it. It was a bit embarasing when the RAC man guessed (correctly) that it was a fuel shortage. He put 8 litres in and the compurter then said there were 23 miles left!? Drove straight to the petrol station with RAC man behind me to fill up!

When it started the engine management warning light stayed on until this morning when it had re-set itself. I still took it for an Italian tune-up on the RAC man's recommendation to clear out the injectors.

Of course I didn't laugh at my wife (much) but let's just say I hope to be dining out on the story for many years!
Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - Mapmaker
& the moral of the tale is, don't trust the miles-to-go indicator.

(I know somebody whose gauge, in the early days of these, about a decade ago, reached 2 miles and then the car stopped, and he said "it shouldn't have done that"...)

Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - Alby Back
My wife never runs out of fuel. When her car is getting low she just uses mine.
:-(
The first car with a fuel computer that Nicole had and she runs out of diesel in the first two weeks. I went to rescue her and she stood by the side of the road, wildly arguing with me she hadnt run out of fuel because the computer said 26 miles to empty. The tank was as dry as death valley.
Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - ifithelps
We used to do quite a few out of fuel breakdowns on the motorway.

Could be a bit of bother because they were often called in by the police because the driver had no breakdown cover.

This left him liable for our callout charge.

No breakdown cover often equalled no money and/or an unwillingness to pay.

Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - BobbyG
I must admit I am prone to playing "fuel" roulette. I have regularly taken my Altea down to less than 5 miles in tank and been fine.
One day I won't though......
My brother often takes his cars down to 0 miles range - which is why I've stopped lending him mine, unless it already has a full tank!
Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - David Horn
Meh. I've been 40 miles past the "0 miles" point with no problems in the Passat TDI. (Yet. Touch wood, sacrifice black cat etc.)
Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - redviper
I know the garage that the OP mentions very well as Richmond is my home town Darlington road can get very busy and isn't verywide so can get blocked up quickly

back on topic I've never dared go lower than 15 miles remaining to fill up my partner though takes her diesel c4 to about the same but we have never dared take it further usually I fill up when it gets down to the last 50 miles
Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - Brian Tryzers
>...don't trust the miles-to-go indicator.

Haven't got one in the Volvo, so I'm on my own. I do occasionally play the game of nursing it home (85 miles) on barely enough fuel, but my usage and consumption are pretty consistent, so I reckon that if I set off with Trip 1 showing less than 565 it'll get me home. The orange Feed Me light comes on with about 15 to go, and I've never got more than 63 litres into the 70-litre tank, so it doesn't feel like cutting it very fine. But then, that's probably what Hawkeye used to think. }:---)

Even so, I'm happier filling up between 510 and 550 - which still means I can do three there-and-back trips on a tankful.
Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - zookeeper
i use the brightness of the fuel gauge light...very dim means about 4 litres...when it gets to something like full moon lumina...im on fumes
Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - 1400ted
I fill both the Naughty Note and the Vulgar Vitara at half on the gauge. I've run out too many times when I was in penury and had to walk home to be doing it now.
After all, you've got to buy the damn stuff sometime so you might as well keep some in !
IIRC, diesels used to be a beggar to start when they'd run out, often having to use Easy Start and wake the area up with the rattling !

I remember being called out to a coach that had run out.......boosted him up with my big jump leads, filled his air filter box with Easy Start and off it went, rattling like two skeletons caught in flagrante delicto !

Ted
Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - Biker Bones
hi hawkeye , did he tow you and the trailer , or did you unhitch ?
Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - Martin Devon
Always best to unhitch when you're empty.
Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - Biker Bones
yeah i agree , but op said he was in dangerous position and i guess he was alone so no one to leave with triler , so i just guessed the guy in 4 x 4 must have towed both
Car and trailer. I considered unhitching but the roundabout is on a slope, the trailer is about as big as you can get unbraked and I didn't want to risk losing it and causing more havoc. Of course it made it an unfeasibly big "outfit" to find an empty pump when we got to the station. As it turned out the 4x4 had enough grunt for all the metal it was pulling.

As an aside, I'd forgotten how jolly difficult it is to brake and steer unassisted!
Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - bathtub tom
>>As an aside, I'd forgotten how jolly difficult it is to brake and steer unassisted!

I understand it has to be a solid towbar, not a rope, if power assisted sytems aren't working.

I trust you conformed?
>>As an aside I'd forgotten how jolly difficult it is to brake and steer unassisted!
I understand it has to be a solid towbar not a rope if power assisted
sytems aren't working.
I trust you conformed?

No I didn't. I'm sorry. I did think that I would be able to get both feet on the pedal if necessary though. In my defence, no kittens were squashed during the event.

Who do I report myself to? Or should I be reporting my benefactor?

Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - FotheringtonThomas
>>(towing)
I understand it has to be a solid towbar not a rope if power assisted
sytems aren't working.

I have not heard of such a thing. Where do you get this information?
Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - ifithelps
....I understand it has to be a solid towbar not a rope...

I've dragged all manner of cars and vans along motorways and other roads using a chain.

But that was years ago.

These days, I think you would be nicked if you tried to tow anything on a major road with anything other than pukka kit - rigid bar, A-frame, spectacles or somesuch.

Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - bathtub tom
>>I have not heard of such a thing. Where do you get this information?

I don't know, it may have been here.

AFAIK it would've been OK to tow my old Panda on a rope with a dead engine (no brake servo or PAS fitted), but anything with with these power systems requires a solid tow, unless the engine's turning providing the power assistance.
Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - smokie
You are in good company. Frank Biela missed the pit lane in the 2003 24 H of Le Mans and ran out of fuel.
Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - pda
I ran out of deisel in a new Scania lorry once on the A14.
It caused 14 miles of tailback.
The final bill came to £1042, and that was without the cost of losing the delivery for that day.
It's a long story and one I'm still embarrassed about:(
I kept my job, but my boss insisted on showing me the bill !

So don't worry hawkeye, it could have been worse.

Pat
Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - Mr.Tee43
I thought Clarkson used an Audi A8 in the London/Edinburgh/London trip.
Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - M.M
H. It may have been a fiddle at the time but you could have been in many worse places. On my Mondeo petrol I would sweat at less than 50mls shown and really stress at 35mls or less but I did get to trust it in two years. The new C5 diesel makes me more nervous so I'm trying not to go under 75mls.... at least it just about runs on fresh air (after the 30mpg Mondeo) so you get a long way on the dregs.

Oh for the old 1960s Rover 2000 with that dashboard reserve tap you pulled out when it stuttered.... mind you at 26mpg that reserve gallon went fast.
Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - audiA6tdi
it was the A8...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIHdpmTIrFw

Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - mike hannon
Do people really, honestly, believe a fuel level figure that flashes up on the dashboard thanks to a compromise computer program? One that varies the 'miles to go' from second to second according to things like throttle opening and road gradient? Really.
Discipline yourself to top up when the needle is on the quarter mark or - definitely - when the warning light begins to flicker. Drivers these days stagger me. I may be old-fashioned - well, I am - but I still prefer to believe that when I'm driving I'm the one in charge, not a widgety car computer.
Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - AshT
It's not just the computers that are unreliable Mike. Our Espaces have the old fashioned gauge and warning light. When the light starts flashing there's - usually - at least 30 miles worth left in the tank, when it stays lit you're down to 10 miles if you're lucky.

I got caught out though sometime back assuming this was a reliable warning system - on a 20 mile drive to work the light started flashing not far from home, a few miles further the car coughed and died, leading to a call out to the RAC.

Needless to say I don't take chances now, and keep the tank abouve a quarter most of the time.
Dear diary I ran out of fuel today - 1400ted
It's a girly thing, Pat ! :-(