How to make an engine last: advice sought. - peanut
Hi

Fiesta 1.6 diesel, 2 years old. Had it from new, and is a fantastic car. I would like to see it last 200k+ miles.

I don't know whether to:
a) Increase oil changes to 6k using Ford (or equiv) 5w-30 semi
b) Use fully synth oil for 12k service.
c) Carry on with 5W-30 semi at 12k
d) None of the above

I'm playing it 'by the book' till the warranty expires.

Thanks

Peanut
How to make an engine last: advice sought. - Peterexhaustpiper
Delphi parts... doesn't matter how religiously you service them, they always fail something at some point. I'm not stabbing at it or trolling but its not going to make a huge difference to the reliability. It will make a difference to how Ford's customer service treats you if it does go wrong. The more you look after it the more they can't find excuses not to repair things.

Your best bet is to religiously service it & follow the bible...

Just remember its Delphi parts but don't expect it to last a million miles even if you religiously service it.
How to make an engine last: advice sought. - cheddar
Delphi parts... doesn't matter how religiously you service them they always fail something at some point. >>

Tosh, look at Warranty Direct figures, Fords with Delphi fuel/electrical parts are statistically less likely to fail than say VAGs with Bosch parts.

>>I'm not stabbing at it or trolling >>

Really? That would make a change.
How to make an engine last: advice sought. - daveyjp
My father taught in every model of the Fiesta from the Mark 2. All made 100,000 miles before he sold on with no major problems in any of them. I estimate over 750,000 miles covered.

He had them serviced at his local garage in line with Ford recommendations.

My sister has the last one he owned - a 55 reg 1.4TDCi and this has done well over 100,000, but it never misses a beat.

Edited by daveyjp on 03/02/2010 at 15:09

Its worth increasing the oil change frequency depending on mileage, say 6 months or 6k miles or perhaps 10k miles if you are doing 2k or more a month.

Stick with Ford parts and Ford spec 5w-30 semi synth.

My Mondeo 2.0 TDCi is still going strong, had it since new and now 140k miles, serviced every 10 - 11k ish.
How to make an engine last: advice sought. - Alby Back
Still got the Mondy then Cheddar ? Me too, can't bring myself to sell it ! Went through its MOT a couple of weeks ago for the seventh time without so much as an advisory. 175k and counting.......

I do wish people would stop saying they are all unreliable. Mine fortunately can't read and doesn't know that but it might find out by some other means..... Sshhhh everyone.

;-)
Still got the Mondy then Cheddar ? >>

Yep, not getting any use though so will be sold soon I think, just need to put the reg on retention, been filling in the form today as it happens.

Edited by cheddar on 03/02/2010 at 15:54

How to make an engine last: advice sought. - Alby Back
Mrs B has sort of adopted my estate. It's the Ka which is sitting around doing not much at the moment. I take it for a run out sometimes when I'm just nipping about so it doesn't fester. I think she has worked out that it will take much longer to fill the Mondeo between muckings out....
How to make an engine last: advice sought. - CraigP
For your oil you can find out exactly the best way, for your car, your choice of oil, your climate, your driving / car usage pattern.

Use an oil sample analysis service it's about £15 a sample.

They mail you out a sealed test tube. You fill it with oil that came out on your last change. Fill in the form with the questions they ask, then post it off. They write back with a comprehensive breakdown of how the oil is performing, whether there's signs of engine wear in the oil etc.

You can also google for virgin samples of any brand of oil you're considering, to see how good it is. For example, castrol edge fully synth as it comes out the 4l (whats with the small packs?) carton appears to be an average-to-good fully synthetic, but there are similar performing much cheaper alternatives.

How much snake oil is there in lube oil? - oldnotbold
Seriously - are there independent tests that show that identical engines last longer/emit less/use less fuel with the premium product than with the standard/cheap'n'cheerfull product?

I'm talking about normal cars in normal use, not F1 cars on the track.
How much snake oil is there in lube oil? - WorkshopTech
If its the 1.6 TDCI then there are quite a few problems with this engine. The engines tend to run very dirty and in particular the small feed pipe to the turbo has a little filter in it that blcoks and starves the turbo of lube.
My suggestion is a fully synth oil to ford spec (doesnt matter about brand, just get the cheapest that matches the spec) then change the oil and filter at least every year and do it at 6 months if you are only doing short journies.

When driving the car, let it warm up before taking over 3000rpm.

Dont labour the engine, its tempting to, but let it rev to at least 2500-3000 rpm before changing up. Dont boot it at low rpm. This helps the DMF last longer and excercises the turbo.

Take it to a decent diesel workshop when it needs repair work (not the main dealer).
How much snake oil is there in lube oil? - cheddar
My suggestion is a fully synth oil to ford spec (doesnt matter about brand just
get the cheapest that matches the spec) >>

Ford spec is clearly 5w-30 semi-synth, AFAIK there is no fully synth that meets the spec.

>>Take it to a decent diesel workshop when it needs repair work (not the main dealer).>>

Good advise once 3-4 years old or so though before then watch the warranty, if you exceed the 60k miles with the 3 years then you have good chance of goodwill if serviced repaired by a dealer.

How to make an engine last: advice sought. - SteveLee
For example castrol edge fully synth as it comes out
the 4l (whats with the small packs?) carton appears to be an average-to-good fully synthetic

Not all fully synthetics are actually fully synthetic - just clever mineral oils (pointing the finger at the stuff mentioned above.) most oils are compromised these days thanks to the additive packs designed to improve chemical stability for extended drains rather than concentrating on how good a lubricant they are. I think a (up to spec) semi changed between services (at least) will greatly extend the life of any engine. If you can afford to do that with mobil 1 - great, if not cheaper oil changed more often is better than higher quality oil stretched beyond what's reasonably expected for oil to last. Even the best oil is shot by 7-8K miles, cheaper oil sooner, it's only the excellent mass-manufacturing techniques and advances in metallurgy that allow our engines to spend most of their running life on knackered oil and still attain reasonable engine longevity.

Obviously if you are unlucky enough to have an engine with a manufacturing or design defect, no amount of oil changing will stop it going bang before its time and then there's the expensive to repair FI systems which put otherwise perfectly serviceable cars into the scrapyard prematurely - but that's another story.
How to make an engine last: advice sought. - Altea Ego
Peanut, you dont say howmany miles a year you do. But at the average of 12,000pa thats going to be 16 years. You will have changed cars by then.

Just get it serviced on the on the schedule by ford, with the oil they say in the manual.
Altea Ego, WST has pointed out in another thread a service bulletin regarding the oil changes for these engines - if they are that marginal then stuff the proscribed servicing intervals and change the oil more often as WST says. Cars are designed to last the warranty period even if abused - 99% of cars will last the warranty period without ever having a service - it doesn't mean treating the car like that is good for long-term longevity.
Thanks for all the replies.

I do about 15k/year. Rarely short journeys.

How do I know if a fully synth meets Ford spec, as (I presume) it exceeds them, so is not mentioned in the blurb? Given the engine is new-ish, would there be any down-side to moving over to a fully synth? (Ok an extra £10-15 per oil change - a marginal fuel improvemnt could make that up)

Peanut.
How do I know if a fully synth meets Ford spec >>

AFAIK none do.
How to make an engine last: advice sought. - HensTeeth
>> How do I know if a fully synth meets Ford spec >>
AFAIK none do.

There's at least a couple which do. As an example, Opieoils stock a couple of fully synthetic (as well as some semi-synthetics) meeting WSS-M2C 913B: www.opieoils.co.uk/c-694-ford-engine-oil.aspx

How to make an engine last: advice sought. - jbif
Even the best oil is shot by 7-8K miles, ... >>

Where is the proof, please, for such a bold claim?
IMO, global-warming/climate-change at least has scientific evidence to support the claims made than the statement above, unless SteveLee can come up with the facts to make me change my opinion.

How to make an engine last: advice sought. - M.M
Covered above really but....

To give the engine some extra care the choice is between a higher grade oil (fully syn) and keep to 12k changes or keep to the oil in the handbook (semi-syn I guess) and go for 6k changes.

As the hardest part for any oil is the second 6k of a 12k interval my choice is to use standard oil for the car but change at 6k.

That way you remove all the nasties that it's trying to hold in suspension (and often failing to succeed) before they drop out on the engine internals.

I have no documented proof for this... I don't need it as I just know it's right :-)
Where is the proof please for such a bold claim?

The only proof I have is what I saw with my own eyes when I worked for a large American oil company, we were developing a new fully-synth, we analysed all the current market leading brands including bench running the oil in engines then analysed the results, hot viscosity rating for all the oils we tested were out of spec by around 4-5K miles except Mobil 1 which passed this test - indeed our new super-duper oil couldn't do so either - but it didn't stop us making all sorts of claims for it and selling it at an exorbitant price.

In terms of lubricative properties, engine oil is actually getting worse, because of extended service intervals, oil filters have to let ever larger particles pass through them to stop them getting blocked, as a consequence modern oil is designed to suspend the particles that make it past the filter in the oil itself - without allowing the crud to sink and form sludge. After 8 or 9K miles you are "lubricating" your engine with suspended swarf and various detritus which is the product of the combustion process. Modern engines will take this abuse - for so long.
How to make an engine last: advice sought. - corax
>>oil filters have to let ever larger particles pass through them to stop them getting blocked

Which manufacturers are using these Steve? If I buy a modern car in the future I don't like the thought of it using an oil filter that isn't doing it's job properly. Are you saying that the manufacturers specifying long life regimes on their engines are using less efficient oil filters to stop them blocking up as a result of dirty oil? Explain.
Corax. Yes, exactly that, when I was at Ford, Volvo were resisting that trend, their own spec filters actually filtered far better than the Ford equivalents and Volvo resisted the long service interval game for a while - I wasn't there long enough to find out if they joined the crowd in the end - I suspect modern economics and pressure from the parent company meant they had to. AFAIK this practice is common-place now, modern oil is designed to suspend small particles, they are no longer filtered out - this is why you must use the spec of oil suggested by the manufacturer - unless you decide to change it (and filter) frequently in which case as long as it's the same viscosity and general (temperature) performance it probably won't matter.

But Ford dont offer "long life" servicing, 12500 max or 12 months, where as a VAG car can go double that and up to two years, Renault 18000 and two years etc ...
12,500 miles *is* an extended service interval - just not as extended as others, compare this to what was "normal" the 80s and further back. One of my old man's recent cars (Scenic or Picasso - can't remember which) had a 20K/2 year service interval - that's mental!
How to make an engine last: advice sought. - jbif
The only proof I have is what I saw with my own eyes ... >>

Anecdotal, and not scientific peer reviewed proof then. i much prefer anecdotes such as this one by "yorkiebar" who I believe owns/runs a garage:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=81384&...e

One of my old man's recent cars (Scenic or Picasso - can't remember which) had a 20K/2 year service interval - that's mental! >>

Not at all.
As Number cruncher has said many times, use of modern long-life synthetic oils is not such a big issue in determining the end of life of motors, eg.
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=58...4
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=49...2
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=47...9

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=34...1

Edited by jbif on 03/02/2010 at 17:54

jbig, NumberCruncher's anecdotal evidence (ie opinion) is hardly peer-reviewed either! And since when has peer-review become science? Of course I respect his opinion a great deal but I do have direct expertise and experience in this area. I don't expect oil companies to publish the results of their internal R&D costing millions of dollars for their competitors' perusal! I've simply been privileged enough as part of a product development team to read it. If it wasn't for stop/start wear and the running temperature of an internal combustion engine exceeding 100C - it could be "lubricated" with water! Oil only provides a protective barrier when limits are exceeded, when the parts aren't yet up to temperature or moving fast enough (start up wear), the protection from metal to metal contact is provided (in normal running) by a hydrodynamic "wedge" formed between parts - care of their relative movement, not film strength, crap in the oil disrupts this process causing the "wedge" to fail earlier and thus accelerates wear, the maintenance of viscosity is important for this reason, aged thinning oil being thrown from the crank journals quicker than it can be replaced will lead to rapid big end failure or a drop off in oil pressure starving the top end. Oil does NOT stay in spec for 12500 miles let alone 20,000.

All the above is why oil being clean and in spec (viscosity wise) is the most important aspect when it comes to engine longevity - not some magic enhanced film-strength or other such properties. All modern engines will last if looked after, the OP is asking if that life can be extended, my answer is "yes", by ensuring your oil is always clean and in spec - change it often, unless you're putting in cheap nasty stuff which is like glue when cold - in which case you're doing more harm than good.
How to make an engine last: advice sought. - quizman
>>>Not all fully synthetics are actually fully synthetic - just clever mineral oils (pointing the finger at the stuff mentioned above.)

Steve you are getting Castrol Edge which is fully synthetic mixed up with Castrol Magnatec which is not. You are not saying that Castrol Edge is a mineral oil, are you?

I think the most important thing to keep an engine going for ever is changing the oil more often. I usually change the oil in all my machines at half the manufactures recommendation. If I were you I would use semi synthetic 5W-30 like Castrol Magnatec or the Ford oil.
It was Castrol pressure that got what could be called "synthetic" changed as their base oil was not strictly fully-synth, "our" analysis (an oil company I worked for) confirmed this to be the case. Maybe things are different now, it's perfectly good oil but the 10C deficit in cold pour performance, compared to Mobil 1, says all you need to know regarding the quality of the base oil in my opinion. It's not that Castrol is bad, Mobil 1 is particularly good - and no I don't work for them and never have.
This is all fascinating...!

Thanks.
I'm playing it 'by the book' till the warranty expires.

Presumably the dealers cannot detect a between-service oil change?
Does anyone know if Kenlowe still produce the Hot start system, where the coolant is pre-heated before starting the engine. I would have thought this together with regular oil changes would result in astronomical mileages out of an engine. Does anyone here use one of these systems?
How to make an engine last: advice sought. - legacylad
peanut
Apologies to BR but off on a tangent here....middle daughter had a Ka with reg P444NUT. She now has a MAZ.... Mother has it on retention...would you like to make her an offer?
How to make an engine last: advice sought. - Altea Ego
would result in astronomical mileages out of an engine. Does anyone here use one of
these systems?

Why do you need astronimcal mileages out of an engine? at 15k a year its gonna take 10 years to get there. The rest of the car is gonna be falling apart by then
at 15k a year its gonna take 10 years to get there
The rest of the car is gonna be falling apart by then

What? My car is 12 years old and doesn't look as if it's on it's last legs quite yet. Plenty of people out there doing more than 15k a year.

You're speaking as someone who buys new every few years, some of us aren't that fortunate.
How to make an engine last: advice sought. - piston power
There's enough talk here about oils so im not going there but do use genuine filters for the price differance which is 50p it's worth going genuine.

Don't forget the air filter some manufactures state 40k they will last, i replace mine every 2 years which is 20k again genuine parts & fuel filter every 2 years.

Regular changes give more life to the engine neglect well im sure you know the answer to that.
How to make an engine last: advice sought. - WorkshopTech
As usual, a lot of misinformation in this thread.

First, there are plenty of synthetics that meet ford spec. The Ford spec is a MINIMUM requirement, there is nothing to stop you using a higher spec oil!

Wear of base engine components is rare, even in engines using poor quality oils or with skipped oil changes. The problems come in wear to ancilliary components such as turbos and fuel pump followers (T/FSI engines), injector followers etc.
In any turbo. PD, FSI or DPF equipped car I would suggest using a decent synthetic and NOT going for LL servicing. Use OE oil filters.
The Ford 1.6TDCI are not a great engine and suffer sludging. It is one of our most common engines for turbo failure and frankly I would advise avoiding.
Here is thread from another forum used by techs in trade, concerning this engine, which is our experience too.

www.ilexa.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,24939.0.html
As usual a lot of misinformation in this thread.
First there are plenty of synthetics that meet ford spec. The Ford spec is a
MINIMUM requirement there is nothing to stop you using a higher spec oil!

This has been discussed before and I researched it.

Its not simply a matter of being a minimum spec, accordingly just because it is more expensive and says "fully synth" does not mean an oil will meet the spec.

However it seems that WSS M2C 934 is fully synth to the Ford spec.

Otherwise semi synth to the WSS M2C 913 spec is ideal.
This has been discussed before and I researched it.
Its not simply a matter of being a minimum spec accordingly just because it is
more expensive and says "fully synth" does not mean an oil will meet the spec.
However it seems that WSS M2C 934 is fully synth to the Ford spec.
Otherwise semi synth to the WSS M2C 913 spec is ideal.

Stop posting misinformation.
The 913 spec is NOT ideal for these engines, although it is an acceptable oil to use.

I purchase oil in bulk (order for £1000's at a time) and we ensure that we put the best oil, at the best price, in our customers engines.

For the Ford TDCI's the best oil is a fully synth to Fords 934A spec, this is a higher spec than the 913's. This is basically Fords renaming of ACEA C1 spec oil. Its a low SAPs oil and we can use it across a whole range of engines, including those with DPF's Jag, recent volvo and PSA group engines. The 1.6 TDCIs are very prone to sludging and turbo lube problems, hence the advice to stick to a good fully synth. for maximum durability.

Thats my last post on the matter.
How to make an engine last: advice sought. - JohnM{P}
WST - fyi, the ilexa link looks very similar to initial post in the long (and heated) recent thread here:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=79519&...f
How to make an engine last: advice sought. - L'escargot
peanut, stick to Ford's recommendations. They are the definitive authority on this matter.

Edited by L'escargot on 04/02/2010 at 07:44

Sadly makers have been shown to get it wrong so many times... a little positive intervention can never be a bad thing however much it irritates some doubters.
I would never be so conceited as to think that I knew better than the manufacturer. Large manufacturers spend millions of pounds and tens of thousands of hours on research and development testing.

Edited by L'escargot on 04/02/2010 at 09:16

I would never be so conceited as to think that I knew better than the
manufacturer. Large manufacturers spend millions of pounds and tens of thousands of hours on research
and development testing.

Indeed. But it is not as simple as that. There are lots of other considerations that the manufacturer has. He is concerned with fuel economy more than durability (hence the proliferations of 30-grade oils) and he is also concerned with how many grade of oil his dealer has to stock. Hence manufacturers like to spec oils that are common across their range of motors (even though some are sourced from other manufacturers, such as PSA in the case of Ford).
Manufacturers in general are more concerned with fuel economy than durability (so long as it lasts 3 years) so oils are often speced to give 3% more economy rather than 2 years more engine life.
............ oils are often speced to give 3% more economy ...........

It would take a bigger difference in fuel consumption than 3% to influence either my choice of car or the oil that subsequently went in it.
How to make an engine last: advice sought. - Lygonos
It would take a bigger difference in fuel consumption than 3% to influence either my choice of car or the oil that subsequently went in it. <<

Not if you were the manufacturer looking at one car doing 120g/km CO2 and on different oil managing 123g/km CO2.

That difference will cost hundreds/thousands of sales, and as WST mentions would probably over-rule durability issues as long as the engine would easily get through warranty periods.
How to make an engine last: advice sought. - old crocks
What is to stop the manufacturer having the car CO2 tested and sold with low viscosity oil and then recommending changing it at say 1000miles to a more appropriate oil?
>>Large manufacturers spend millions of pounds and tens of thousands of hours on research and development testing...

Yes indeed... yet this site (forums and cbc breakdown) is littered with examples where they have got it wrong... badly wrong in some cases. These issues often come out long after the warranty expires and frequently the makers customer service helplines remain quite dismissive that there is a problem at all.

Conceit.. not at all... realism... yes.

An interim oil change will cost perhaps £20 at home and only £25 when a fast fit has an offer on. Even if it is only a 100:1 chance that any one car might have expensive issues in the future that could be negated by this extra care it's worth it to many folks.
How to make an engine last: advice sought. - bazza
.......Manufacturers in general are more concerned with fuel economy than durability (so long as it lasts 3 years) so oils are often speced to give 3% more economy rather than 2 years more engine life.......
WST, that is fascinating stuff, I've never even considered that. I'd always assumed that 30 grade oils were the result of some advances in oil technology that maintained high temp lubrication at very low viscosity?
How to make an engine last: advice sought. - jacks
My Opinion.

I spend 15,000 pounds on a car
I spend over 2000 pounds per year on fuel

If that car should develop a fault (after the warranty expires) in the engine or engine ancillary systems it's likely to cost 100's or possibly 1000's of pounds

An additional (6K) oil change costs me 45 pounds - I do it myself using Millers 5-30 FS - or 70 pounds if I pay someone.

Why would I want to save such a tiny percentage of my motoring costs by not doing addional changes? Why risk it?

And for those that say - stick to the Ford recommendation - If the turbo fails in the way that WorkshopTech describes 2 years after the warranty expires with 75,000 mileage, will Ford cover the cost? Of course not.

Jacks

How to make an engine last: advice sought. - Old Navy
I have always believed that the oil is the lifeblood of an engine, keep the oil in good condition and it must help with the wellbeing of the engine. 25 or 30 quid for an oil and filter change, worth every penny! I fund my own cars, change the oil at half the manufacturers recommendation and have never had a lubrication related problem. I believe the main driver of manufacturers oil change intervals is pleasing fleet managers who are not interested in a car after 3 years.

Edited by Old Navy on 04/02/2010 at 11:56

I fund my
own cars, ..........

Me too.
........... change the oil at half the manufacturers recommendation and have never had a
lubrication related problem.

My cars are always serviced according to the manufacturer's schedule, and they've never had a lubrication related problem. Between the two of us, what have we proved?
I don't know about you, but I have spent a few more pounds on maintaining a car which often does not get to full operating temperature during a week of daily use in winter. I think this is called adverse conditions. My engines have always run quieter after an oil and filter change so something is happening.

Edited by Old Navy on 04/02/2010 at 14:30

My engines have always
run quieter after an oil and filter change ..........

It's probably all in the mind. A lot of people say that their car feels different after someone else has driven it.
>>It's probably all in the mind.>>

I have worked with sound most of my working life, including machinery health monitoring. So I am probably a bit more sensitive to noise than most. An unusual noise is usually the first sign of a problem, ignore it at your peril. Its a real pain when I have a squeek or rattle though.:-)

Edited by Old Navy on 04/02/2010 at 15:33

How to make an engine last: advice sought. - Clanger
Unless I've missed something, no-one has mentioned quality of fuel in the search for a long lasting engine. Supermarket sludge or big-name premium diesel for long engine life ?
Supermarket sludge or big-name premium diesel for long engine life ?

>>

It all meets EN590 spec and thats what cars are designed to run on.