97 2.0 What will eventually happen to the UJ? - edenworkshops
Hello

My wife and I live in France and we are very poor financialy.

To cut a long story short we have been running our old nissan with a defective UJ for nearly 2 years.

Before he moved back to the UK I asked him what would eventualy happen, he said it would get noisy and to avoid full lock.

At one point we felt we could afford to get the work done (by an english mechanic, french mechanics are extremely expensive).

The mechanic tried 3 times to get the parts, there was a problem because of modifications made during model changeovers or something.

Finaly he took the wheel to pieces and photographed some parts and was going to try again, but he went back to the UK and never returned.

We have no choice at the moment but to run this car. But we are worried that the wheel will fall off or something terminal will happen when we are out.

Can someone tell us what will happen to the wheel?

Thank you so much.

Richard

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 04/02/2010 at 19:09

97 2.0 What will eventualy happen to the UJ? - WorkshopTech
Well, eventually the joint will fall apart.

I dont understand why there is a problem. I assume its the outer CV joint, these are all the same on the Primera II (P11) model. They cost about £25 brand new from a factor and are easily available in UK.
Count the teeth on the ABS ring (just behind hub) it should have 44 teeth on it. If it does then post back on here and I will give you name and number of a factor that should post it to france. Its quite an easy job to replace (less than one hour labour).
97 2.0 What will eventualy happen to the UJ? - edenworkshops
Both my wife and I are handicapped and doing what you suggest is not possible for us.

Going back to my original question, what will happen in time if we are unable to affect a repair.

Thank you

Richard
97 2.0 What will eventualy happen to the UJ? - WorkshopTech
OK, in time the joint will get worse and worse and eventually it will 'fail' (literally fall apart - come apart). Before that happens you will get a lot of noises, clunking and rattling. If it comes apart as high speed it could be dangerous because the unrestrained driveshaft could flail about under the car.
The wheel will not fall off, but you will loose drive - ie. the engien will rev but no power will reach the wheels.
Do you not have the equivalnet of MoT in France? I think it would fail on that.
I have no idea how long it would last before falling apart because most people get them fixed when they start getting noisy.

surely you could get someone to jack the front wheel up and count the teeth on the ABS ring and then order a new joint online and get someone to fit it?

Edited by WorkshopTech on 03/02/2010 at 12:31

97 2.0 What will eventualy happen to the UJ? - Dynamic Dave
Going back to my original question ..

WT has already provided an answer

"eventually the joint will fall apart."
97 2.0 What will eventualy happen to the UJ? - jc2
Yes;there is an MoT in France-it's called a CT(controle technique) and it takes place every two years.
97 2.0 What will eventualy happen to the UJ? - CraigP
This is a FWD car, so it's unlikely to dig into the road and summersault the OP's car when the CV joint splits, like RWD UJ could.

I guess its possible to cause the front of the car to go airborne though.

Need to be careful about people driving behind you when the half-shaft finally parts company with the car. Could have seriously nasty consequences for the mother & child travelling behind.

I wonder how much that kind of damage would cost to repair. Car would be a writeoff i guess.

I'm sorry but i don't buy the idea that you can't afford to have this repaired by a french mechanic. You are needlessly, knowingly, endangering others lives for selfish gain. You should cease driving this car immediately, which you already know.

I think its wrong of anyone to encourage you to continue with this approach. You're seeking comfort & solice for your wrecklessness, well it's not available here!

The parts & labour cost less than 2 tanks of petrol. Stop driving and save up. Your mobility is not worth more than the innocent cyclist you kill with debris flying off your car at speed.

I feel better now.

97 2.0 What will eventualy happen to the UJ? - jc2
Very,very well said!!! And what else hasn't been fixed on the car?? Brakes? Steering?It probably also invalidates the insurance which requires vehicle to be maintained in a "safe and roadworthy" condition.

Edited by jc2 on 04/02/2010 at 08:30

97 2.0 What will eventualy happen to the UJ? - Robin the Technician
Well said!!! If the OP can't maintain the vehicle he should not be driving it!!!!!!

Robin the Technician
97 2.0 What will eventualy happen to the UJ? - zookeeper
do the french use the saying" russian roulette?"....nes pas?
97 2.0 What will eventualy happen to the UJ? - Dynamic Dave
Whilst I agree the OP shouldn't be driving an unsafe car, can we now get back to offering advice on where he can source a replacement part for bangernomics money.

DD.