Vx Vectra normal operating temp? - Big Vern
Hi

At normal 70 + VAT motorway driving speeds my 98R 1.8 GLS Vectra indicates that it is at a shade over 60oC, while I am sure that the dial is not calibrated is this the normal position? When siting it traffic the temp does rise and turn on the fan etc..

I never really noticed, but I lent the car to my Father and he was concerned as all his (non Vx) cars have run at an indicated 90oC ish
Vx Vectra normal operating temp? - Dynamic Dave
My 2000X 2.2 litre runs at approx between 80/90oC on urban runs, dropping to approx 70oC on motorways. In fact all my previous Vauxhalls have run at that temp.
How long does the engine take to get up to temperature?
Vx Vectra normal operating temp? - jc
Most thermostats won't open till 88-92deg.C -don't believe temp. figures on gauges-if they're somewhere in the middle it should be OK.The types with blue/white/red are much better.A much more expensive type of gauge is needed to be accurate to even +/-5deg.
Vx Vectra normal operating temp? - zedzedeleven
My Omega sits at 95deg.C , I think I read somewhere an engine is more efficient nearer to 100deg.C . I suppose if you run without your thermostat for an hour and note the reaction of the temperature gauge it may tell you if the stat has stuck open ?
You could probably see this anyway on examining it on removal , or watch what happens when you boil it in a pan of water. I once replaced a faulty stat with another (new) faulty stat , had fun agonising over that one .
Vx Vectra normal operating temp? - Chad.R
My Omega, a '94 3.0, used to sit on 90C most of the time, unless on a long motorway haul when it would dip a little below that or stuck in a jam when it creep up a bit more.

However, since having the rocker covers and HT leads replaced, gearbox fluid changed not only has the engine developed a more noisy rattle but the engine temp seems to now become "steady" at 95C.

In the last week I've just had the Kwik-fit Mobil 1 change too , but it hasn't improved the noise (or the temp raise).

Just a bit puzzled, that's all!

Chad.R