NIP paranoia - SteelSpark
I bought my first car back in September, but due to a mix up with the log book, it wasn't put in my name until the end of the year.

Now, in that time, I think my driving was fine, but I was a bit paranoid (as I guess is maybe common with new drivers) that I might have messed up somewhere.

For example, did I just happen to go slightly over the speed limit when overtaking near that speed camera? When I stopped at those lights, did I misjudge it slightly and pass over a sensor on red? That kind of thing.

So, with the paranoia, I was half expecting a bunch of NIPs to fall through my letterbox but, of course, the car wasn't in my name.

The car had been a manager's car at the dealership that was sold on at 6 months, and I have not heard anything from them with respect to the previous driver receiving an NIP on my behalf (although I am not sure they would bother to tell me).

I know that NIPs normally have to be sent out in 14 days, and I have been the registered keeper for over a month now, but I wonder if the change of owner can mean it takes much longer.

The paranoia is getting better now, but I just wondered if anybody knew the longest time that it could realistically take me to get an NIP. Thanks.
NIP paranoia - Altea Ego
you wait till you have 9 points.

I got 9 points in one hit, and the next three years is postbox torture.
I got 9 points in one hit and the next three years is postbox torture.

In the darkness days of my paranoia, I expected at least 12 in one go, but then, in some ways, maybe that is better. Waiting for the axe can sometimes be worse than having your head chopped off.

Can I ask what the 9 points were for?
NIP paranoia - Altea Ego
Can I ask what the 9 points were for?

CD10 - Driving without due care and attention,
NIP paranoia - Rattle
Can you get a NIP for that? I would have thought a cop would have to pull you over?

I know what you mean about the paranoia now I am driving again this has come back to me. I went passed a van with a camera which said working with the police today it was parked ilegaly and I was staggered, I am worried the camera may film me watching the van and not the 777 plane which was about to pull out in front of me.

NIP paranoia - David Horn
the 777 plane which was
about to pull out in front of me.

I dunno Rattle, I think if you've managed to drive into that particular part of Manchester you'll have more to worry about than camera vans!
NIP paranoia - Peterexhaustpiper
Rattle,

I lost respect for the law a long time ago...

Unnecessarily offensive anti police rant removed. smokie

I was drunk last Friday with my mate, I was walking back through town when I managed to trip over an island in the centre of the road. I fell on my knees & headbutted the road - I still have a huge gash across my forrid where I nearly smashed my head open. While I had a concussion on the floor a foreign coach came hurtling around the corner & drove at me while I was trying to desperately get up. My mate was flagging down the coach to stop but the driver didn't want to. The bumper of the coach hit my head very hard & I didn't know what day of the week it was. I almost got knocked unconcious - the coach had miraculously halted with the front wheel less than 1ft away from crushing me to death. My mate had to drag me out from underneath the coach. The driver sped off didn't get out, left the scene of an RTA. My mate was attending to me trying to keep me from falling unconcious but forgot to get the reg of the coach. I went to hospital via an Ambulance to get medical treatment quick, I was clear to go home the next day so I phoned the Police to tell them everything.
They were not interested at all, blamed me like it was my fault, they saw the CCTV of the coach hitting me so the evidence was solid. They had the coach registration from the CCTV but they were not going to take things further as I had been drinking heavily so it was my fault according to them, they didn't want to be bothered to trace the coach as it was foreign. They won't even allow me to have a copy of the CCTV evidence so I can claim compensation from the company. This is why I dislike Police... He could have easily got away with killing me from a hit & run.

Edited by smokie on 05/02/2010 at 08:20

NIP paranoia - s.v.u.
From the two posts from this "gentleman" I have read he would appear to be a model citizen! Of course as such he is entitled to his opinion with regard to the police service and has the right to express this and I would be the first to defend his right to do so.
Therefore I would hope that he would extend the same courtesy to me when I pass my opinion as to his behavior after a night out drinking with his "mate" and also the road rage incident.
It would seem that that he appears to be a first class chav of the highest order. I hasten to add that this is merely my own personal opinion as a retired "malicious little scumbag and filthy pig"
I find his comments offensive in the extreme and am surprised that the moderators have allowed them to be passed, as to the account regarding the near death experience with the coach, well, what an imagination !

No need to quote the entire post in future please. I've removed the more offensive part of the above post. smokie

Edited by smokie on 05/02/2010 at 08:22

NIP paranoia - pda
Well said s.v.u.
From a section of the public who comes up against >> 'malicious little scum-bags or filthy pigs' << on a regular basis, I would like to say that we are always, without fail, treated fairly and with respect.
I too find his comments offensive and note that he expects other road users to use their skill to avoid HIM when he has no right to be on the public highway at all.

We always do though, it's one of the pitfalls of driving through town centres at night:(

Pat
NIP paranoia - ifithelps
...I find his comments offensive in the extreme and am surprised that the moderators have allowed them to be passed...

s.v.u,

Posted late at night/early morning, when I imagine the mods were tucked up in bed.

The comments are plainly offensive, and what's almost as bad, add nothing to the (fairy) story.

One for the 'report message as offensive' button, I think.

The OP does seem to have had one or two 'adventures' recently, doesn't he?

Edited by ifithelps on 05/02/2010 at 07:20

NIP paranoia - ijws15
I was drunk last Friday>>

Means that you know your judgement was impaired but you still believes that nothing was your fault. I wonder if you drove the following morning . . . . . . . .

Everything bad that happens to you must be someone else's fault, never your own.

I guess the council built the island island while you weren't looking so you would trip over it.

If you want to waste a few pounds go and talk to a solicitor - they will have the same view of your chances of success with a claim as the police.

And in all dealings I have had with the police they have always been courteous and polite (some of these dealings have been under caution) - maybe there is a difference between how I approach them and how you do. After all treat everyone as you would want them to treat you.
NIP paranoia - ifithelps
...Can I ask what the 9 points were for?...CD10 - Driving without due care and attention...

Good thing there's no such thing as Back Room licence.

Me - and quite a few others - would soon have nine points on it for posting without due care and attention. :)

NIP paranoia - Altea Ego
A few have been banned

But they obtain new licenses.....

NIP paranoia - Steve Pearce
They have to get the *first* NIP for an alleged offence to the registered keeper within 14 calendar days, if the RK names someone else they will send out another NIP within a few days. However it can take several attempts before they get the gight name, so delays of weeks to a couple of months is not unheard of. They have of course only 6 months from the alleged offence to prosecute.
They have to get the *first* NIP for an alleged offence to the registered keeper
within 14 calendar days if the RK names someone else they will send out another
NIP within a few days.

Thanks. Well the previous RK would definitely have been able to give them my details, so I guess I would have gotten any pretty quickly.
NIP paranoia - Peterexhaustpiper
I really wouldn't get paranoia about the NIP's possibly falling through your letterbox if you believe you were a good enough driver that didn't do anything wreckless over that period. I know the law happily skips around viciously handing out NIP's like venomous birthday cards that are adressed to you. It seems like they don't give a .... if you are always a good careful driver with 90 years no claims & have a clean driving liecence, so far as the laws concerned, the Police caught you doing something allegedly wrong because the camera/computer said so - in the eyes of the law you are now nothing more than a guilty criminal that has to be prosecuted for what you did.
Its sheer horror when you get one for the 1st time as you stare at it over & over & think what have I done? what did I do?
Then you start panicking looking through websites & forums that tell you the penalty for the alleged conviction. Yes I know I've been there too... Only recently...

I had a Road rage scuffle with another driver on an A-road just recently, the driver was the main aggressor & was the instigator of the scrap. He went back to his local cop shop pointed a finger at me & said "He was driving dangerously, he did this, he did that," with no witnesses, the Police officer had then taken his word for it. I got the NIP about 6-days after the alleged incident occured. It absolutely beggared belief, there he was threatening me, tailgating me, racing me, tried to deliberately kill me & now I was the one being accused of dangerously driving while he sits at home smirking.
Luckily I called 999 & reported him for threatening behaviour 1st then reported the part where he tried to kill me too.
The Police did an investigation on it & quickly found out who was the real aggressor -> Him.
The proceedings for a DD30/DD40 offence were dropped - all thanks to the recorded 999 calls!

NIP paranoia - ijws15
Paranoia . . .

Already had 3 points and need the car for work.

A moments inattention and I passed a camera which flashed (I thought the infra red flashes were supposed to be invisible but I can see them), the following week I passed a camera van in a recently (days earlier) changes speed limit and thought I was over the aloowance. Note PEP these were MY fault deven if the van may have been parked illegally)

Two weeks of worry but only one NIP for 35 and they offered me an awareness course. That was four years ago, nothing since. Back to zero points and can stop telling the insucance company in July.