Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - jamiev
hi, i have the choice of 2 company cars and i am unsure which to go for?
the first is an brand new insignia 2.0l cdti exclusive 5 door hatch and the other is a 58 plate mondeo 2.2l tdi titanium with sports kit 5 door hatch.
i travel about 300 mile a week, mostly motorway and i like my comfort, i am 6 foot tall and medium build so i do like plenty of room!
i also have a wife and a baby seat to fit in (when not working)!
-which seats are the comfiest, i like them to be supportive.
-which is the safest?
-what are the main pro's and cons of each?
-anyone drivin them both?
-please can i have your opinions please?
-what would you choose?
ps: they both cost the same in personal contributions?

thanks
Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - cheddar
They will both be as safe as just about anything else on the road.

The Insignia looks good, better in estate form I reckon. The Mondeo looks better in hatch form, the 2.2 is stonking and refined, it is rated best in class for driving enjoyment, spec for spec the Mondeo is probably better equipped and IME Ford dealersare better.

However how have you worked out that they will cost the same, I would guess that the Mondeo would have had a higher list price when new (company car tax is based on list price when new) and similar CO2 so would cost a bit more, worth it though IMO.

Edited by cheddar on 01/02/2010 at 22:51

Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - Avant
Try to get a test drive in each car in case you strongly prefer one to the other. If you like both, the Insignia is going to be less of a gamble as it's new. If the Mondeo has been caned by the first keeper, it may give you grief.

Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - Pugugly
Insignia - nicer inside and out (sorry ! :-(( )
Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - Rattle
A friends father who gets a new rep mobile every three years had an Insignia for a couple of weeks as his Mazda 6 was in for accident repair. He said it was the best car he has ever driven and loved it, and he is used to driving this class of cars.

I've always regarded the two cars are equal but different, the Insignia cannot be confused with the Vectra. It is a proper Mondeo matching car which the Vectra should have always been.

I would go for the Insignia purely because its brand new and you will know the history of it, there won't be a tiny thread of doubt. PS I am a Vauxhall driving Ford fanatic :p

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/02/2010 at 00:31

Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - woodster
You know what they say about opinions!! Bit too cosy in the Insignia for my liking. So, roomier Mondeo, in nicer spec, with better engine. What's to think about?
Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - Nickdm
IMHO the cars are very similar, and very capable. So I'd choose the Insignia on the basis that it's brand new, as opposed to a used Mondeo which might not be in such immaculate condition.
Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - ijws15
Looks like you are unsure.

Personal contribution may be the same but have you considered the tax bill and fuel costs?
Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - craig-pd130

I would look carefully at the BIK calculation, the Mondeo will be somewhat higher because (as mentioned earlier) the 2.2 has a higher CO2 output and higher purchase price.

I've had my new Mondeo 2.0TDCI for two years and it's a terrific family barge, fun to drive over any distance, comfortable and practical too. But the 2.2 TDCI would be pricey on tax.

Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - ifithelps
...Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please!...

They're both very big.

Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - Clk Sec
I've not driven either car but prefer the looks of the Insignia. It appears a shade smaller than the Mondeo, but I might be wrong.

Clk Sec

Edited by Clk Sec on 02/02/2010 at 10:25

Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - audiA6tdi
it looks great here:
www.vauxhall.co.uk/vx/microsite/insignia08/index.h...l

I love the wheels with rubber band tyres! I bet they cost a few quid. Looks wise its very BMW 5/7 series at the back.
Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - Alanovich
If a feeling of interior space is your thang, than it's gots to be the Mundaneo. I've driven a Consiglia and the cabin does feel a bit restricted for a big car due to the fact that the top half of the car seems like it's been squeezed up with a big old rubber band.

But it was a fantastic thing to drive, I loved it. 2.0 CDTi it was. I'd seriously consider one when they're about 3 years old and nicely depreciated. First Vauxhall I've ever liked properly.
Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - idle_chatterer
Personal (and consequently highly biased) experience is that Vauxhalls go wrong a lot and the dealers are rude and inept, experience of Fords is exact opposite - very reliable and dealers were scruffy but competent.

A colleague has a brand new Insignia 2.8V6 and although it's an improvement on Vauxhalls of old it's still a Vauxhall e.g. headlamp washer fell off in the first 1000 miles.

I wouldn't have a Vauxhall ever again (I've had 5, 2 were reliable and 3 ranged from bad to awful), but I admit that I am highly biased.

However - I thought that the 2.2 Mondeo was poor from a BIK / CO2 perspective ?
Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - mr.freezer
For me it would depend how much power the Vauxhall's diesel had. The 2.0 comes in 160 bhp and 130 (?) versions. Sixth gear is nice on a motorway.

The exclusiv(e) spec Insignia will feel a bit spartan next to the Ford. The wheels are too small for the body in my opinion.

However, again in my opinion, the Mondeo has not aged very well.

160 bhp Insignia - Yes

130 bhp Insignia - Go for the Mondeo

Edited by mr.freezer on 02/02/2010 at 14:16

Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - mr.freezer
As an aside, if both cars are on 3 year leases it may be better to take the Ford as that will go back in roughly 2 years and then you can choose whatever is on the go then.

Edited by mr.freezer on 02/02/2010 at 14:47

Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - jamiev
hi all,
Thanks for the excellent discussion on this, however i am still undecided.
I am not bothered about the history or what state the mondeo would be in.
If i did pick the Insignia i would go for the 160 bhp for an extra £1 per month!
I think the bik may be higher on the mondeo but i don't mind paying a bit more.

Thanks again
Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - Avant
"I am not bothered about the history or what state the Mondeo would be in."

All I can say is that I would be, especially as you do 300 miles a week. You want something that has the best chance of being reliable.

I agree with going for the 160 bhp Insignia at only £1 pw extra. Go and drive both and good luck with whatever you choose.
Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - Graham567
The Insignia hasn't been very reliable since its launch.Just view a few Vauxhall sites and you'll see that quality issues have risen their heads.There also seems to be a shortage of spare parts for the Insignia with customers having to wait for up to 3 months to get parts.
There has also been quite a few buy backs from Vauxhall over repeated problems that couldn't be fixed.

On the other hand i havn't heard of any issues with the Mondeo.It hasn't won 'What Car' best family car for 2 years running for nothing.(This year has gone to the Mazda 6 but only because Ford have hiked up their prices).

If you need plenty of leg room then go for the Ford.
It also has better refinement and a softer suspension.

Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - Graham567
Just noticed the spec of the two cars and the Vauxhall is pretty much the base model where as the Mondeo is near enough the top spec with voice recognition to control the stereo and phone etc.I think you also get electric folding mirrors plus lots of other toys to play with!!
Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - Vauxpop
... the Mondeo hasn't won 'What Car' best family car for 2 years running for nothing.(This year has gone to the Mazda 6 but only because Ford have hiked up their prices).

Whereas 2009 European Car of the Year was given away like a footballer's affections?

The Mond was always better than the Vectra, but now Vauxhall have a great car that's nicer to drive, better inside and sooo much better looking. Not to mention newer in every way.

Can you specify the Exclusiv plus pack to get the lovely 17" alloys and front fogs? In Technical grey? Mmmmm.
Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - LikedDrivingOnce
The Mond was always better than the Vectra but now Vauxhall have a great car
that's nicer to drive better inside and sooo much better looking.

The Insignia is handsome from the outside, I'll grant you, and the interior looks quite upmarket in daylight.

However, doesn't it have that horrible red illumination of the instruments on the dashboard, rather than classy white, blue or green? (But for that, I would be quite interested in it.)
Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - Clk Sec
>>... the Mondeo hasn't won 'What Car' best family car for 2 years running for nothing.(This >>year has gone to the Mazda 6 but only because Ford have hiked up their prices).

Mazda6 - Well deserved in my opinion.

Clk Sec

Edited by Clk Sec on 03/02/2010 at 07:21

Mundaneo .... Consiglia >>

Yawn ....

The 2.2 Mondeo has a lot more torque than even the 160 Insignia and is probably more refined, what with being higher spec too, and IMO simply more desirable - no brainer .... ....
Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - daveyjp
"the Mondeo is near enough the top spec with voice recognition to control the stereo and phone etc"

So has the one I'm currently in. Far easier to turn dials on the climate and press the buttons on the steering wheel for the stereo than press a button then give a string of commands, half of which it doesn't understand.

Voice commanding a phone number takes absolutely ages.
>>Far easier>>

My FocusST has it, I agree that it is just as easy to turn knobs/buttons though the Voice button is conveniently located and makes switching from radion to CD easy.

Though the main benefit is Bluetooth phone, it works brilliantly.
Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - SteveLee
>> Mundaneo .... Consiglia >>
Yawn ....

Indeed, some people find it amusing to use stupid puns for the sake of it, The "Mundane" car is dynamically astonishing - light years ahead of the previous generation of cars - it's hard to believe, driving these things, that they are the same class of car as the run of the mill repmobiles we were running around in 15 years ago - let alone going back to the Cortina and beyond same goes for the fantastic Insignia. Halfords {please note correct spelling that doesn't offend the swearfilter} (perfectly good chain of shops that offers the odd bargain, especially professional quality tools for half price sometimes), Ford Fiasco, cheap reliable small car (though not cheap any more.) Why do people feel the need to do it? Probably some sort of Colin (fast show) syndrome.

As for the original post I think the Insignia would be the cheaper car tax wise, other than that I'd have a slight preference for the Mondeo. Both cars are superb, even if you picked one over the other because of the colour or the wheels, you wouldn't go far wrong as there's no wrong answer.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 03/02/2010 at 12:34

Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - Alby Back
Both would be fine cars. Either will do very well. I'd go for the Mondeo without hesitation but I could quite see why others would prefer the Insignia. As Steve just said, there would not be a wrong way here.
Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - SteveLee
Halfords {please note correct spelling that doesn't offend the swearfilter} (perfectly good
chain of shops that offers the odd bargain especially professional quality tools for half price
sometimes)

You'll note I was using the swearfiltered name as an example of people bashing a perfectly good chain of shops for some idiotic reason. I see "Ford Fiasco" made it through though.

Edited by SteveLee on 03/02/2010 at 12:53

Halfords {please note correct spelling that doesn't offend the swearfilter} >>

Dave, I think SteveLee was making the point that such incorrect spellings are daft.
Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - Dynamic Dave
Dave I think SteveLee was making the point that such incorrect spellings are daft.

Point noted. I was concentrating more on what the swearfilter had picked up rather than the overall picture. DD.
As a delighted former Mondeo owner, I mean no harm from a little light jesting. I find the Insignia name ugly in the extreme, although a fine car, and the Mondeo name similarly ugly. I have praised both models on here, you will find. I am highly likely to own one or other in the future, but I will still reserve the right to dislike their names.

No need to be such a harrumphing nitpicker cheddar, I'm sure you wouldn't want to clutivate such an image.

But if I have caused offence over the name of a tin box, than I do apologise and I hope you recover from the shock soon.

:-)
Oh. And I forgot to add. I won't do it again. So I hope you're happy. I am.

:-)
Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - maz64
No need to be such a harrumphing nitpicker cheddar

just checking - do you mean cheddar?
Yes F, he was the first to yawn at me.

Any way, I've been suitably humiliated by the sense of humour police so I'll shut up now.
Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - Marc
They're probably on a par in most respects. You would really need to drive both to see if there is a clear favourite.

I do like the look of the Insignia but I would be wanting Elite or SRi spec. On that basis I would go for the Mondeo as it's a Titanium.

Edited by Marc on 04/02/2010 at 11:23

Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - maz64
Well I'd go for the Mondeo, because one of our 'lovely' neighbours works in a Vauxhall dealership and has an Insignia on their drive. Yes, very childish :-)

(although I have to admit, grudgingly, that the Insignia does look quite nice)

Edited by Focus {P} on 04/02/2010 at 11:26

Insignia vs Mondeo, your opinions please! - Granny
I've had a few Mondeo hire cars, latest was a 2.0TDCi estate Titaniun spec. Very good car and made an idea long distance car. Strong engine (the 2.2 must be fantastic), stable and great turn in oon the big wheels.
Voice recognition was good until the novelty ran out after 10 mins but the Insignia would have to be very good to beat it.
No need to be such a harrumphing nitpicker cheddar >>

Not nitpicking though the "Mundano" thing has simply been done to death on here IMO.

to clutivate >>

Nice word, thats what I do in my garage ;-)