02 1.8 Massive oil leak after cambelt replacement - Helen24
A week ago my car had a new cambelt and tensioner belt fitted and the glow plugs replaced. Today I noticed oil on the driveway when I was returned home from a trip and when I looked under the car I could see oil dripping out fairly fast from at least three places. I will probably have to have it towed to the garage tomorrow as I don't want to risk driving it. Would there be a connection between the belt replacement and the leak- it just seems a bit of a coincidence that it has started so soon after the work was done.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 31/01/2010 at 23:51

02 1.8 Massive oil leak following cambelt replacem - Robin the Technician
Hi,
Difficult to say as the engine could be leaking from a myriad of places. I hope its being returned to the same place who did the cambelt. Give them the opportunity to identify the leak and what needs to be done. Let us know what they find and then we can advise you in greater detail.

Robin the Technician
02 1.8 Massive oil leak following cambelt replacem - Helen24
Ok thank you yes I intend to call Green Flag out and get it towed to the garage that did the work- I have a good relationship with them and they have looked after my cars for about 8 years.
02 1.8 Massive oil leak following cambelt replacem - Peter D
Will Green Flag do that. Do you have home breakdown. Can the garage collect it. Regards Peter
Yes I have home breakdown through Direct Line and I have checked with them but will speak to the garage first when they open. I did a 50 mile round trip today before I realised it was leaking oil everywhere and the oil was dripping out so fast when I looked that I don't really want to attempt starting it tomorrow. Unfortunately I need it to get to work so it will be a good start to the week!
02 1.8 Massive oil leak following cambelt replacem - piston power
Top up your oil if you can so the garage can't use that against you if it's empty or nearly if at level they can't say anything.

Besides they will want to run it to find leak etc.
Not got any oil at the moment to use but it had its 100,000 mile service on the 18th of December and the oil was done then.
Not got any oil at the moment to use but it had its 100,000 mile service on the 18th of December and the oil was done then

Yes thats fine but you have a large leak no oil or very low can cause severe engine problems like been seized not out to frighten you but you are resposible for putting the oil in to top up.

The garage will just ask why you didn't top it up helen when you know it was losing it, just like you would blow up a tyre if it was flat rather than drive it.
Hi- I only realised I was losing it when I got home today and I've not driven it since!!!
02 1.8 Massive oil leak following cambelt replacem - oilrag
Hi, Helen,
If you don`t top it up before it goes in - and the oil level is very low -- it could be used against you if there`s further damage.

regards

Edited by oilrag on 31/01/2010 at 18:52

Problem is I have no oil and no car to go and buy some!!! If the oil was low before I got home and noticed the leak wouldn't there have been a warning light on the dashboard?
Hi Helen,
Check the oil on the dipstick - if its below the minimum then top it up. If its between min and max them you've got nothing to worry about.

Robin the Technician
Ok thanks will do tomorrow morning.

Helen
02 1.8 Massive oil leak following cambelt replacem - tony@tooting
Helen,
With most of the Fords, you have to remove the rocker cover to fit a locking bar to the camshaft, so the leak could be from the disturbed gasket. Or, there is a blanking plug that has to be removed from the engine block to allow the fitment of a crank setting pin. If the plug was left out, the leak could be from there. Any mention on your invoice of "seals" or "gasket"?
Hi Tony- yes they replaced the cambox gasket and there is an amount on the invoice for "resealant".

Helen
Helen,
If the leak is from the rocker cover gasket, you may be able to see it from under the bonnet. The rocker cover is the topmost part of the engine that has the oil filler cap sitting in it.
Ok thanks Tony I'll look tomorrow when I check the oil.
Thank you for all your replies- there was no oil left in the car in the morning so the Green Flag guy topped it up before towing it to the garage. The cause was the oil pressure switch so it was quickly sorted and only cost me £64. I'm glad it wasn't anything to do with the previous work done as I have a good relationship with the garage. My only problem now is how to clean all the oil off the driveway!!!

Edited by Helen24 on 02/02/2010 at 08:28

Problem is I have no oil and no car to go and buy some!!! If the oil was low before I got home and noticed the leak wouldn't there have been a warning light on the dashboard?

Just a tip for you helen if the warning light does come on it COULD be curtains for that engine & the recovery guy put oil in your empty engine you have been very lucky!

It's worth reading the handbook it shows how to check the oil and water & windscreen fluids etc.

If you read the entire thread you'd see that the OP clearly realizes the consequences of not having any oil and that she clearly knows how to check without reference to the manual.

Edited by Pugugly on 02/02/2010 at 12:33

Glad to hear the problem was easily resolved and thanks for letting us know!!
Yuo can soak the driveway in washing up liquid and give it a good scrub with a yard broom. If you've got access to a pressure washer give it a good blast with that as well. You could also go to B&Q and see if they've got any split bags of cement they could sell you cheaply. Cement is a great way to soak and clean driveways & paths. Best thing is, it wash's away easily afterwards.

Robin the Technician
02 1.8 Massive oil leak following cambelt replacem - jc2
B&Q and most garden centres sell special chemicals for removing oil stains.Usually called "Oil Patch Remover* or similar. Wilkos usually have it as well.
02 1.8 Massive oil leak following cambelt replacem - Englishbullterrier
Washing up liquid is a great oil disburser/cleaner...........

Edited by Englishbullterrier on 02/02/2010 at 09:50

Thanks all- I will get the Fairy Liquid out at the weekend and yes bigtee I do know how to check the oil levels etc (I am a single mum so don't have a convenient hubby to do it for me!!) but as the car had been serviced in December there was no reason for me to check it until I after I had noticed the leak by which time I had stopped driving the car!!
02 1.8 Massive oil leak following cambelt replacem - Dynamic Dave
Helen, no offence, but December was two months ago. You should get into the habit of checking the fluid levels every couple of weeks, especially on a car that's done 100,000 miles.
Glad your problem is sorted and thanks for the update.
Washing powder is good at getting rid of oil, but as with all cleaners, check it on a small area first. (Is the drive tarmacked?)
It's a tarmac drive. I do check the levels regularly-honest- but it was serviced end December and had its MOT done two weeks ago at the same time as the cambelt replacement and the garage checked the levels before submission.
Helen im glad you have it sorted, as for your drive there is a paint you can put over your drive if the oil as soaked in to cover it, used it before in the past! good luck.