Who'd steal a Skoda? - Avant
I thought thieves were so thick that they still thought Skodas were sheds....but someone stole mine in the early hours of Thursday morning.

Someone broke into our house, defeating the Anglian double lock (no sign of forced entry), and found SWMBO's handbag with her set of keys (no sermonising please - I know she should have taken it upstairs). Used the keys to take the Octavia sitting on the drive. Fortunately they didn't get into the locked garage with the Mini and the Z3 in it - but they have a set of keys so we'll have to change the locks, as we already have on the front door.

Anyone else heard of a Skoda being nicked? My insurance broker thinks that as it's a vRS it may have been targeted. If so, it just shows what a long way Skodas have come.

Everyone has been very helpful, including Thames Valley Police (although I'm sure they won't find anything), other cars' insurers about changing locks - all except the insurers of the Skoda who shall be nameless - trying to wriggle out as they don't understand how the burglars got in. Nor do I - what's that got to do with the car policy? The car and front door were locked - that should be enough for them.

Edited by Pugugly on 30/01/2010 at 01:16

Who'd steal a Skoda? - rtj70
no sermonising please - I know she should have taken it upstairs

No for your safety leave out of site/reach but downstairs. I have heard stories about those breakign in threatening violence for keys.

When my Golf GTI was stolen early 2000 I thought it was targetted. No way to prove it. But the night it was stolen I felt (with hindsight) was being followed by a white Transit van. My route was not direct and they seemed to be following.

Ironically I got the proper GTI badge put on about a week or so earlier. It arrived with all silver GTI due to a badge supply problem. I got the I changed to red as it was meant to be on the 1.8T... and gone.

I hope all are well Avant. I didn't get another Golf to replace it for obvious reasons and why my next cars have been boring but functional.
Who'd steal a Skoda? - Altea Ego
Sounds like pros, the vRS is gonna be used on a job.
Who'd steal a Skoda? - freddy1
Sounds like pros, the vRS is gonna be used on a job

and there was a time that transit vans were famous for this

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/01/2010 at 01:45

Who'd steal a Skoda? - BobbyG
Avant, thats really bad news, sorry to hear it. Have followed your story from when you were asking advice on choice of cars right through to your purchase. Having previously owned a Fabia vrs, I watched your threads with interest.

If I am right its less than a year old so they should replace with a brand new car? Will you get another vrs or are you now, understandably, a bit wary of going for the same?

You need to bear in mind though that up and down the country, every night there are similar burglaries stealing all sorts of cars, not necessarily top of the range ones!

Glad they only stole a lump of metal from your drive, I remember a previous similar thread where the poster wasn't as lucky under similar circumstances.
Who'd steal a Skoda? - bell boy
i posted a few weeks back where someone i know had their back patio doors done in in the middle of the night for a bmw,they were asleep in bed
blame Margaret thatcher and her insistence that all cars had to have immobilisors after 1994 so car crime was cut as it was endemic at the time
all that has happened since is the goal posts have moved
i watched one of those police camera action programmes on the telly the other night and it showed a policeman jemmying a back door in with a garden spade and i realised i had a spade in the back garden by the gate,its now in my cellar

your cars been nicked to do a job i reckon
Who'd steal a Skoda? - Harleyman
blame Margaret thatcher and her insistence that all cars had to have immobilisors after 1994
so car crime was cut as it was endemic at the time

It wasn't a bad thing at the time though was it?

If you're looking for someone to blame, I suggest you start with the legal system in this country which does not penalise such crimes effectively, and carry on by blaming lawyers who make a mint out of keeping thieving scumbags out of prison, and bleeding heart liberals who insist that such criminals are merely misunderstood.
Who'd steal a Skoda? - loskie
Why don't you just blame the thieving scum themselves. Handed everything on a plate (methadone, houses, benefits), don't work, breed uncontrollably, cannot either support their offspring financially or morally and rob innocent people. Unfortunately it is a downward spiral, our population is increasing with people who cannot or will not support themselves.
Who'd steal a Skoda? - cheddar
Bad news ;-(

I have heard of insurers trying to wriggle out if they suspect that the car keys were on show, easy to get.

Are you sure that the front door was locked if no sign of forcing?

Perhaps better that the handbag was accessible, they could have caused more damage, trouble or worse had they not found what they were after.

Are you saying that the other car keys were on the same ring neccesitating the locks and ignition barrels to be changed? That's a lesson to all.

Who'd steal a Skoda? - bathtub tom
>>Are you saying that the other car keys were on the same ring neccesitating the locks and ignition barrels to be changed? That's a lesson to all.

Oh dear. I keep my Kia Pride and Nissan Almera's keys on one ring. Should I change my habits?

Seriously. Sympathies, but I agree with those that say you were lucky they found the keys downstairs. I can understand the insurance questioning no evidence of forced entry. Could they have 'fished' them from from some orifice?
"Are you saying that the other car keys were on the same ring neccesitating the locks and ignition barrels to be changed? That's a lesson to all."

Yes, unfortunately, and you're quite right to emphasise that, to warn others. We won't be doing that again. particularly as SWMBO nearly always drives the Mini and only rarely the others.

Interesting point about the keys, RTJ - I wonder how much thieves search for keys. We were asleep upstairs and count ourselves lucky - our friends all agree.

The front door was locked - I remember locking it - but the inside handle is now looser and a couple of people have suggested that the scroats have ways of getting round well-known brands of lock. It's also possible that the double locking didn't work properly - anything mechanical is capable of failure as we all know!

Thanks for helpful comments everyone.

Edited by Avant on 29/01/2010 at 23:55

Interesting point about the keys RTJ - I wonder how much thieves search for keys.
We were asleep upstairs and count ourselves lucky - our friends all agree.

One neighbour once had the front door smashed in with a sledge hammer. Someone else I know they broke in and had knives etc but he chased them off. Keys upstairs so didn't want to risk them going up there. He was hit a bit too. Car sold at loss that weekend.
The front door was locked - I remember locking it - but the inside handle
is now looser

If anyone has UPVC door then get barrels that can withstand breakin - they are cheap enough.

Not long after my Golf (a meagre GTI 1.8T) was stolen some posher cars were stolen at gunpoint! Sold that house but intend moving back to the area soon.

Ironically I could buy a Ferrari or two at the moment (but no house) but where would I park them for them to still be there!

Edited by rtj70 on 30/01/2010 at 00:11

Who'd steal a Skoda? - BobbyG
When we had the house fire (at a time when no one was in the house), the firemen were able to get in our front door which was upvc with the multi locks on it very, very easily!!

Ironically, after my wife heard of the fire and had rushed home, she went up to the fireman and offered him the front door key to aid entry, not realising she had just stepped over it in the front garden....
Who'd steal a Skoda? - Stuartli
See:

renegadeconservatoryguy.co.uk/category/lock-bumpin.../

www.handlestore.com/keycylinder.php

forum.kitz.co.uk/index.php?action=printpage;topic=...0 (featured on a BBC programme a while back)

Standard locks on UPVC doors can be broken into in seconds. This did not happen to Avant.

Sympthaties go out to Avant here. Another neighbour about two winters ago left the car to warm up whilst loading the xmas presents. Yep stolen. But the insurance paid out because the clauses you now see in contracts was not there... it is now.
There's nothing about this in my car insurance policy - perhaps surprisingly there isn't even anything about leaving the keys in the car, which I'd have thought they could quibble about with reason.

Home insurers might question no sign of forced entry, but I can't see that it's something that should stop car insurers paying out for a car theft.
Might be covered on house insurance.
Who'd steal a Skoda? - DP
Sorry to hear the news, Avant.

It's not much consolation I know, but I would far rather anyone breaking in found my car keys downstairs and helped themselves than ventured upstairs where my wife and two young daughters sleep. A car is a lump of metal at the end of the day. It can be replaced. If someone is prepared to break into a home and risk confrontation with the owner for a set of car keys, who knows where they will draw the line? And let's face it, the first few seconds of consciousness are hardly a good place to be to think clearly or react in good time to a thug threatening you.

We leave our car keys on a key hook downstairs. It's not visible from any window, or accessible from the letterbox, but if someone gets into the house, they will find them easily. Suits me fine. That said, I suspect the M3, Focus ST and Mondeo ST220 in our street are at greater risk than a diesel Golf or a gold Volvo S60.

Edited by DP on 30/01/2010 at 00:25

Who'd steal a Skoda? - Nickdm
Let's hope that the insurers cough-up promptly and don't try to wriggle out of the claim, as they increasingly seem to try to do these days. Swines!

But now that you know how unhelpful they seem to be I trust you'll insure your next car with someone else and pay your hard-earned premium to a company that treats you better?
I certainly will, Nick. I was with Zurich before and when I had a minor prang a few years ago they were excellent. I moved only because my broker found an alternative that was £100 pa cheaper. Yer pays for what yer gets.

Edited by Avant on 30/01/2010 at 00:28

Who'd steal a Skoda? - Lud
Sorry that happened Avant. Hope you get out of it OK.

I have posted at least twice on this site an account of breaking into my own Estelle in Hammersmith with an Iraqi friend and two chortling coppers. But a VRS is heavy sugar.
Who'd steal a Skoda? - LikedDrivingOnce
Sorry to hear your news, Avant.

I'm sure that you can guess what I'd like to do to the miserable scroats who stole your car. I'm quite moderate politically on most things, but I have no tolerance of crime whatsoever.

Best of luck finding a new car. Not the best of circumstances to engage in what is usually a pleasant activity, though.
The thing I dont understand about this, is that it appears you let the wife have the keys to the vRS?

surely this cant be right?

Who'd steal a Skoda? - WorkshopTech
vRS Fabia and Octavia are much-stolen cars. Weve had both a Fabia vRS and Octavia vRS stolen from our premises in the last 12 months.
Who'd steal a Skoda? - Alby Back
So sorry to hear your news Avant. I've long held the view that thieves are the biggest badge snobs of all. The only car I've had stolen was a Golf GTi. It was also broken into three times in in the two years I had it.

If you replace it with something of a similar ilk I'd be inclined to de-badge it.

After the Golf I had a Volvo T5 estate. I decided to remove the T5 badge for that very reason. Whether or not it made a difference, who can say, but despite being parked in the same places as the Golf it was never touched.

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 30/01/2010 at 09:26

Mine is so plain the local youth steal badges from other cars and stick them on mine.
Well you know AE, you joke about that but a current example of the single brain cell mindset of the car thief is when about a year ago I parked my old Mondeo next to my pal's new X5 in London. We transferred some very valuable kit into the back of my estate where it remained in full view. We sloped off for a bacon butty and a cuppa and returned to find the empty BMW having been done over and my Ford full of kit left unmolested.
Who'd steal a Skoda? - Pugugly
Avant - you have an e-mail relating to this thread.
Who'd steal a Skoda? - idle_chatterer
Sorry to hear your news, in fact SWMBO deliberately went for an SE Golf recently over the GT/GTi for this very reason - she wanted anonymity..... Years ago her Golf GTi was followed and she got so nervous about where she could leave it. A real pity.

Pity that Skoda don't do an Elegance or an L&K Octavia with either the 143 CR or 170 CR engines.

Edited by idle_chatterer on 30/01/2010 at 12:23

Who'd steal a Skoda? - PatrickO
If you have a nice house/car why don't you put the burglar alarm on at night to cover the perimeter of the house?
Who'd steal a Skoda? - Nsar
Anyone remember JDC and his awful break-in that was a souped up Skoda as well.

Leave your keys out of sight but easily found. If a serious crew want your car, give it to them, it's only a lump of metal and plastic.

And get a dog big enough to scare the crims away. Alarms are no deterrent.
^^^^ What he said ^^^^

A Malinois is house and family safe, but will munch on the arm of a scroat in a scary manner all day. If I had a nickable car that is *seriously* what I would do.

Edited by Altea Ego on 31/01/2010 at 10:29

A Malinois is house and family safe but will munch on the arm of a
scroat in a scary manner all day.

But arguably higher maintenance both from a practical and an emotional standpoint than inanimate forms of security such as alarms and locks ?
Who'd steal a Skoda? - Nsar
Bet the OP and his wife don't think so right now.
Bet the OP and his wife don't think so right now.

True, but when Rover is ill (and eventually dies) or they need to put him/her in kennels whilst on holiday or whatever then I'd contend that the dog option has its downsides. Don't misunderstand me I'm not anti-dog but the 'a dog is for life' adage applies, if you get one in haste then you might come to regret it however effective it is for security purposes ?
In some ways, the right kind of dog is a much more practical house defence mechanism. Sure you have to maintain it (vet and food) but then you dont have to remember to set it every day, have passwords to remember, and its portable.

Who'd steal a Skoda? - Brian Tryzers
I've nothing helpful to contribute, Avant, but I'll express my sympathy anyway. Hope it's all resolved as quickly and painlessly as possible.
There is a poor chap called Avant
He wants to drive but he can't
Truth to tell
He's had some bad luck
His new Skoda's been nicked by some schmuck.
Thanks for all your good wishes, from Avant:
I had an Octavia, now haven't.
But fortunate me,
I've got the Z3 -
So others are worse off than Avant.
Who'd steal a Skoda? - 1400ted
Your Skoda, which you had left out ,
was taken by some cheeky lout.
But he might be captured
and you'll be enraptured.
And he won't be quickly let out !

Ted.
Who'd steal a Skoda? - cheddar
Avant's Skoda was stolen by a weasel
the guy said, yes yes yes
its a proper VRS
though when he twisted the key
oh so surprised was he
to find it was only a diesel

;-)
There was a young man from crew
who once had a skoda, brand new
He woke up one day
To find it away
all thats left was the drips from the dew.

Dont worry said Lud
I once had a dud
It was an estelle
Now thats hell!

Edited by Altea Ego on 01/02/2010 at 08:57

Who'd steal a Skoda? - Lud
The old pensioner Altea Ego
Found it difficult making a flea go:
His swipes at his neck
Caused a serious wreck
Involving his rough old Montego.

(Avant's limerick was better though)

Edited by Lud on 02/02/2010 at 14:33

Who'd steal a Skoda? - jdc
"Anyone remember JDC and his awful break-in that was a souped up Skoda as well."

Hi there, my Skoda was certainly the standard VrS, nicked to order along with the Subaru Outback.

Couldn't wait to get rid of the VrS once it was found, repaired and returned.

We've even moved from that house now...

Avant, I'm glad you and yours are ok, it's not a pleasant thing at all regardless of whether you see the intruders or not.

Cheers
jdc
Who'd steal a Skoda? - L'escargot
Who'd steal a Skoda? A lot of cars are stolen to use in a subsequent crime, or simply for joyriding. A Skoda would be suitable for both purposes.
Who'd steal a Skoda? - daveyjp
Only just seen this thread, sorry to read of the break in.

We arrived home last night to a mangled handle and door lock. An amateur must have had a go as the police, SOCO and locksmith all said it's rare they find an old uPVC lock which hasn't been broken - so in that regard we were fortunate, someone may have disturbed the "visitor" as it was done in broad daylight.

You said you were in when it happened. If you have uPVC doors sash jammers are recommended as they provide an extra couple of locks which are used when you are in the house.

Even if the lock is snapped or bumped the door is still locked as the jammer clamps the door to the frame.

Who'd steal a Skoda? - Mick Snutz
Sorry to hear the bad news Avant.

My friends nearly had their brand new 330d stolen a few weks back. They live in a quiet residential cul de sac and early one morning came down to find someone having a go at the front door.

He is now thinking of removing an important fuse or two from the engine to prevent it going anywhere even if they have the keys although that could cause its own problems if the scrotes are that determined.
Who'd steal a Skoda? - Felix
Hi Avant, nothing of value to add but I was sad to hear about this - after all I've got you to thank/blame (former really) for getting an Octavia myself!
Who'd steal a Skoda? - ifithelps
Avant.

What a thoroughly nasty, unpleasant and un-nerving experience - hope you and the family don't feel too bad about it.

I don't think the insurance company can reasonably complain about a set of keys being in SWMBO's handbag, although it's probably a good thing you didn't lose both sets.

My opinon is the car has been taken to sell on after its identity has been suitably tinkered with.

It might be worth keeping an eye on Autotrader/ebay to see if it crops up there - stranger things have happened.

Who'd steal a Skoda? - SteveLee
I guess with the number of common (and expensive) components shared with other VAG cars makes this a desirable car to steal and break.

As for the locks discussion, a friend of mine is a locksmith - he taught me how to pick most locks in about 30 minutes (duration of training) - I was opening most locks in under a minute - padlocks in seconds, it's easy, if an insurer insists there's no sign of break in therefore you were not burgled then they are in la-la land. Lock picking is easy to master with freely available tools to do the job. I've got ungraded barrels in my uPVC doors - I can still defeat them without a key in minutes. I have drilled into the metal frame of the door and fitted good old fashioned internal (lockable) throw bolts - this will be enough to defeat a chancer who can bump the main lock - although a half decent burglar will defeat any security.