98 1.3 Heater issue - E Boat S89
Picked up a ford ka (in a rush) and noticed that the heater dial only blew nice and hot or cold air on setting 4. But the dial which directs the air to your feet or screen felt stuck on window direction only

Previously the trader said that he had replaced the heater valve (off e -bay used £11).

I knocked him £50. Popped down to the local ford dealer and picked up a new heater resistor and wiring block as mine had been heat damaged.

Prior to fitting the new parts my wife did some driving in the car and complained that the heater on setting four was not blowing that hot just luke warm. I looked at it and it had cooled somewhat and also you can now turn the dial clockwise toward the feet setting but does not feed the air through. (suspected wife being ham fisted)

I fitted the new parts and I now have settings 1, 2 ,3 and 4 working with cold and warmth, but setting 4 is not as hot as it was previously or as you would expect. Its just not really getting that hot even when you put it at full turn. Its just an ambient heat really.

There is evidence of damage to the consol area, ie cracked plastic buttons for rear window and air con etc (which all still work).

Does anyone have any idea if it is the dials or a suspect cheap heater valve? Dont know where to start really?
98 1.3 Heater issue - Peter.N.
With the heater on full, feel the temperature of the pipes to the heater, they should both be nearly the same, the return pipe being a little cooler, if there is a great deal of difference, either the valve is not opening fully or the heater matrix is clogged. Is your temperature gauge reading normal? If its very low and both pipes are warm rather than hot, you have a thermostat problem.
98 1.3 Heater issue - Rattle
What is the batch number of the heater control valve? There are still loads of faulty rejected or returned stock floating around on ebay. When I bought a new heater control for my dads Fiesta (same part as the Ka) I had to do a bit of reseach in order to get a good one.