What Car? - Paul Robinson
I?ve just returned from a meeting with a personal tax client who was wrestling with an
interesting car choice dilemma. He?s resigned a senior management post that came
with a company XJ8, to work on a self employed basis helping set up a new venture in financial services,
so he needs to buy some suitable transport - these are the criteria:

He is prepared to spend up to £10 - £12K, but would be happy to spend a lot less!

He has two teenage children so it also needs to be a family car.

He expects to do 20K -25K miles p.a. and it must be as dependable as possible!

It must be ?respectable? as he will be recruiting new customers and staff at a senior
level.

Then the most difficult criteria - he only expects to have the car for 6 - 12 months and
will need to dispose of it again without the loss of pots of money and loads of hassle.

What do people think would be a wise purchase?
Re: What Car? - honest john
Robert Hughes Classic Cars, Weybridge, Surrey (you'll have to directory enquiry the number).

HJ
Re: What Car - other than a classic? - Paul Robinson
Thanks for the suggestion HJ, but what would you choose other than a classic? My client doesn't expect to sell without some loss, but ideally would want a quick sale without having to drop a large amount of money!
Re: What Car? - Andrew Moorey
The sheep would probably choose a Beemer, A Volvo would be my choice!
Re: What Car? - John Slaughter
Baaaa!
Re: What Car? - Andrew
Sorry John, part of my therapy!
Re: What Car? - Gwyn Parry
Even more kudos than a Volvo is a Saab, stick a private plate on it for £250.00
difficult to date it then....
MB will impress. - David Woollard
Paul,

Whatever the car the more that is spent the more to lose. Keeping any car 6 - 12 months is bound to cost in depreciation £s/month.

If image for the start-up of this business is important then the car cost is just part of a package and shouldn't be a concern,

But for minimal loss, impressing the clients and enjoying the car buy a Mercedes 230E (yes the old shape) for about £5000. Pick a good colour with mint interior, about 125,00 miles recorded and fit a private plate (not Irish).

There is still a respect for the older Mercedes and those who travel in it will enjoy the discussions of "you wouldn't believe it's covered over 100,000 miles". It'll give the impression of a solid and dependable character who knows a good product but doesn't waste money.

Deal clinched!

David
Re: MB will impress. - Paul Robinson
David

Thank you for your suggestion, I will relay it to my client. He did have a couple of E class several years ago and may be tempted.

I'm interested in your comment 'not an Irish plate' - what makes you say that?
Irish plates. - David Woollard
Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I understand all the personal/non-dating numbers floating about with I and Z are Irish. Anyway these are the plates I mean.

Why not one of them? Well you did ask for a package that will impress potential clients and these plates are known to be the cheapest way to go non-dating. Very "Max Power" if you know what I mean, perhaps not the image you're after.

Just my view, others may be OK with them.

Any other number that is related to something of you contact may be better than one of these.

A230 EMB perhaps??

Actually my uncle has a 1985 200 E-class series MB, all people see is the three pointed star rather than the old C-reg. The car still has a real presence on a driveway. So perhaps the number isn't essential.

David
Re: MB will impress. - Nicholas Moore
An old shape post-facelift C-class C180 Elegance auto with aircon and alloys might be worth considering. Even Signature cars on an R plate are costing only about £12995 at the moment. With the launch of the new C-class it has depreciated a lot recently, but should not do some much in the near future.
Re: MB will impress. - honest john
Robert Hughes does current shape XJ6s and XJ8s. Current shape XJ6s are definitely within budget.

HJ
Re: MB will impress. - Alvin Booth
Paul,
How about a three wheel Reliant van.
You know it makes sense.

Alvin