Am I insured to collect wife's new car? - stuartl
I have bought my wife another car which I am due to collect on Monday. We both have policies that allow us to drive 'any vehicle not belonging to us etc etc'. Does this mean that I can legally drive the car home even if the former owner has cancelled her insurance on the car so there is no actual insurance for the vehicle? I know that such cover is third party only and that the car will ping up on any anpr cameras as uninsured but providing I have my cover note that shows I am covered for other vehicles will I be legal? I dont want to get caught on a technicality. (The reason I dont want to insure it individually straight away is that it will sorned for a couple of months). Thanks, Stuart

Edited by Pugugly on 29/01/2010 at 09:22

90 1.3 Am I insured to collect wife's new car? - Peter D
Ask you insurance company and do not guess. This has been discussed many times and it became clear then come companies insist that the car has it's own insurance in it's own right, is it not worth the risk. You can buy one day insurance online from £12 a day. Is the car taxed. Regards Peter
If you rely on your own insurance and there is no policy detailed the vehicle and you rely on DOV cover, if you stop and get out, say to fill up with petrol, the vehicle has no insurance. Many insurance companies have dropped DOV extensions and they do not tell you of this change. Regards Peter
90 1.3 Am I insured to collect wife's new car? - Pugugly
Moved over from Tech.
90 1.3 Am I insured to collect wife's new car? - M.M
As said above worth asking the insurance co if you want to rely on the DOV cover. The other option is to ask for this new vehicle to be put on one of your existing policies as an additional vehicle.

I've just done this with the cost to add a 2.0 Mondeo fully comp for a month being just £25.
90 1.3 Am I insured to collect wife's new car? - Gromit {P}
Probably not.

Checking my new policy last night, I'm covered to drive other cars (on third party basis only) provided the car does not belong to my spouse, my employer, or a car hire company.
90 1.3 Am I insured to collect wife's new car? - Bill Payer
If you rely on your own insurance and there is no policy detailed the vehicle
and you rely on DOV cover if you stop and get out say to fill
up with petrol the vehicle has no insurance.

That's not correct. It's been held that the car is still covered by the driver's insurance if the stop is incidental. Of course, "incidental" is open to intrepretation but stopping to buy a newspaper or pick something up was mentioned and it's hard to imagine any more incidental than buying fuel.
Many insurance companies have dropped DOV extensions and they do not tell you of this >> change. Regards Peter

The Govermment tried to get insurance companies to drop it but most refused. They said they didn't want their customers to be caught out by something they had relied upon in the past.

Edited by Bill Payer on 29/01/2010 at 12:22

90 1.3 Am I insured to collect wife's new car? - SteveLee
If the car is not insured by the old owner then no you cannot drive it, phone your insurance company with the details, I wouldn't be surprised if they cover you temporarily free of charge.
If the car is not insured by the old owner then no you cannot drive
it

Not (necessarily) correct. My insurance covers me for DOC and there's no requirement for the other car to be insured in its own right.

90 1.3 Am I insured to collect wife's new car? - Altea Ego
Not (necessarily) correct. My insurance covers me for DOC and there's no requirement for the
other car to be insured in its own right.

and me. My insurance company made a point of telling me as a benefit.
90 1.3 Am I insured to collect wife's new car? - SteveLee
I know, strictly speaking (if you wanted to go to crown court to prove it) you are insured with your 3rd party cover for any vehicle but a lot of companies put exclusions in now in an attempt to fight "fronting" - the exclusions aren't worth the paper they are written on - such is life!
90 1.3 Am I insured to collect wife's new car? - Falkirk Bairn
Presumably when you get the car home you will insure it for the 2 of you.

Insure it a day earlier - problem goes away!
90 1.3 Am I insured to collect wife's new car? - a900ss
If the car is not insured by the old owner then no you cannot drive

This, by law, is completely incorrect.

You are not allowed to insure the same car twice, therefore only 1 policy can be in operation at any one time.

If the driver is not named on the policy but is driving under his own insurance(DOC extension), the owners insurance is in effect 'void' whilst be driven under somebody else's insurance. For example, if the car caught fire whilst somebody was driving it under the DOC extension of their own policy, the owners insurance would not pay out as they are not covering that risk at the time. Due to the fact DOC is Third Party Only, neither would the drivers insurance company.
90 1.3 Am I insured to collect wife's new car? - bell boy
as already said the best advice is ask your broker and if he says you cant then any broker worth his salt will issue you a temporary cover note on your own insurance to comply with the law
this is why internet insurance is not always a good call if you end up phoning the Philippines for an answer
You are not allowed to insure the same car twice therefore only 1 policy can
be in operation at any one time.

It could be covered twice (or more) under DOC. I have two policies both of which offer DOC. The insurers should split the cost of any claim 50/50.
For example if the car caught fire whilst somebody was driving it under the
DOC extension of their own policy the owners insurance would not pay out as they
are not covering that risk at the time.

I don't KNOW that that's wrong, but I'm extremely doubtful. If the car is covered for fire then it's covered for fire. I guess it might depend on what the cause was, and I can well imagine that the insurance companies first response would be to deny the claim.
I spent a lot of time looking into this last year and contact 10 or 12 lead insurance companies and not their call centres, some insist that the car must be insured in it's own right. Most do not have DOV for drivers un 25 to 28 yeras of age it varied company to company and well over half do not provide DOV unless your are over the age limit and you ask for it. Unless you have specifically asked your insurance company, not the call centre, and had them confirm your DOV status and the insurance requirment on the other vehicle then I would not risk it. It's 6 points and £500 if you get it wrong. Lots os cases on pepipo. Regards Peter
90 1.3 Am I insured to collect wife's new car? - stuartl
Hi Peter. It seems I have opened a can of worms here! I did say on my original post that I didn't want to get caught on a technicality and that is the reason I will now insure the vehicle on a temporary basis as I cannot afford the risk of possibly driving uninsured. I find it staggering how this is such a grey area. I have certainly driven other cars in the past relying on the fact that my policy says I am covered, albeit vehicles that are also insured by their owners. I wonder how many people have done the same and found out to their cost that actually they were not insured at all.
I spent a lot of time looking into this last year and contact 10 or
12 lead insurance companies and not their call centres some insist that the car must
be insured in it's own right.

It really doesn't matter what they say. The critical thing is what's on the Certificate, and, to a lesser extent what the policy says. The company cannot add extra requirements to those that are detailed in the documentation. It actually tells you that in the small print of most policies - no employee can add or take away policy terms.

My experience of calling insurance companies, even those I would regard as good, is that they tell you all sorts of rubbish.

90 1.3 Am I insured to collect wife's new car? - Searchguru
The best way to establish the facts is ring your insurance. Get the full name of the person you are talking to and follow their advice.
90 1.3 Am I insured to collect wife's new car? - Hugo {P}
Just a thought.

I've just run an HPI check on a car that I'm looking at and hopefully buying tomorrow.

HPI are offering free 7 day insurance with Aviva when you do the check - details on their website. You simply phone up Aviva with the HPI check reference number, I think they will want to give you a quote but you get 7 days free.

The HPI check cost me £20 - probably less than the insurance would have cost me!

Alternitively, I know that More Than will swap your policy to the new vehicle, and give your old one 7 days free cover, at least that's what they told me. This cover can then be renewed for a futher 7 days twice, for an admin fee.