88 1.4 Fuel and temp guages both not working - stuartl
I bought this car as a very cheap little runaround after the demise of my Peugeot van but the fuel and temp guages dont register anything. It might be coincidence that they are both not working but I wonder if there is a known fault, maybe behind the dash. (The two guages are side by side). Other than that, for a 22 year old car that cost just £250 with tax and test it is pretty damn good!
88 1.4 Fuel and temp guages both not working - Dynamic Dave
IIRC the temp and fuel gauge share an electronic component. Should it fail then both stop working. Off the top of my head it's called something like the voltage regulator and is usually on the back of the speedo pod.
Thats great Dave, many thanks for the reply. I have ordered a haynes manual so will try and identify the part and source a new one if that looks to be the problem. I will keep you updated, Rgds Stuart
88 1.4 Fuel and temp guages both not working - elekie&a/c doctor
Yes,I remember these.Definitely a voltage stabiliser fault .It is a small metal device that clips into the rear of the instrument panel.hth
As always HJ comes to the rescue!! I wonder how easy it will be to get hold of one of these?!?
88 1.4 Fuel and temp guages both not working - mickyh7
Your in for a shock if you try to buy anything from a Nissan dealer ! Think of a number then times it by ten,then add VAT.
Scrapyards are full of Sunny's if you can get the part off, It'll cost no more than a £1. I reckon. Good Luck.
88 1.4 Fuel and temp guages both not working - WorkshopTech
I agree that is the voltage reg. Before getting another one take the pod out and check it is making good contact. Its a long time since I seen one of these but I think the reg may push/clip into place, so it could be just a bad connection there.
Again, thanks for the replies, I wll take a look at it at the weekend when hopefully than manual will have arrived and I should be able to get the dash off easily. I will report back! Regards, Stuart
88 1.4 Fuel and temp guages both not working - bell boy
i had one of these do this and i couldnt solve it so best of luck
maybe try another speedo head if you hit a wall too?
Have finally got round to looking at this! Firstly the part is unavailable new from Nissan, but just to confirm, is this the part we are talking about??!!! Many Thanks, Stuart

i900.photobucket.com/albums/ac204/stuartl_photo/10...g

88 1.4 Fuel and temp guages both not working - tony@tooting
Stuart, yes that is the unit. All it does is makes the gauges move slower, so that for example, the fuel gauge does not go from 1/2 empty to full when you drive around a corner. (And no, you cant bypass it!)
Many thanks Tony, The funny thing is on two occasions, the fuel guage has worked, just for a few seconds then just dropped down again. I have joined the Nissan Sunny Owners Club and hope someone on there can locate one! Regards Stuart
88 1.4 Fuel and temp guages both not working - elekie&a/c doctor
That is correct.It cannot be by-passed,but it could be substituted be an electronic voltage regulator that gives a constant output of 10 volts.This would need a small re-work of the wiring onto the printed circuit.hth
That is interesting as I feel this part might be a nightmare to track down! If all else fails is this something you are able to do or could you recommend someone?!? It is a great little car and I would happily spend a few quid getting this issue sorted!
There are two things you can do..

1. track down a seconhand instrument module and do a swap.

2. Wire in something like a 7810 three-terminal voltage regulator. There are available very cheaply from electronics suppliers like Maplin and Farnell. Ideally put some capacitors on it (10uF and 100nf parallel on the output and on the input 100uf and 100nF parallel. I have successfully done this one older cars for which original reg was not available.

If you want more info then post your e-mail and I'll send you the parts FOC (although may take a day or two to dig them out) + instructions.
88 1.4 Fuel and temp guages both not working - Hamsafar
Can you make something like this?
1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-instrument-voltage-...l
Can you make something like this?
1962to1965mopar.ornocar.org/ml-instrument-voltage-...l

Yes, that is what my suggestion is. I have done this a few times.
This is great, thanks for the time you have taken to reply! I have to confess that my 15 year old son is more likely to be able to understand the info with regards to the electronic components as he is a child prodigy as far as electronics is concerned!
I have said it before but HJ and its contributors have helped me on many occasions in the past and the source of experience and information on here is brilliant!
Workshoptech, my email is stuartlathey@hotmail.com. Many Thanks
88 1.4 Fuel and temp guages both not working- Now Solved!! - stuartl

a huge thank you to all replies i had on this topic, i found one of the regulators on ebay after looking every couple of days for several weeks and hey presto i now have both guages working!! Great Stuff!

88 1.4 Fuel and temp guages both not working- Now Solved!! - daddydes

hi stuart ,

i have just bought a 1.6 sunny on a G reg , and guess what , the fuel gauge and temp gauge have just both packed up , although if i go over a large "bump" in the road sometimes it might register , how easy is it to take the instrument panel out to get to this voltage regulator ??? i am waiting for a haynes manual , but might tackle it before it arrrives , by the way how easy was it to locate the part ? Regards daddydes.

Edited by daddydes on 22/03/2010 at 21:33

hi, getting to the part is quite easy, remove the cowl around the steering column and then there are four screws that hold the instrument cluster in place. the voltage regulator is a small metal item that looks like a relay but is approx 25mm x 25mm x 10mm and plugs in the back of the instrument cluster. Now, getting hold of it is another thing! i found a guy on the Nissan Sunny owners club who promised to send me one but it hasnt arrived as yet. in the meantime i found a new one (these are So RaRe!) on ebay and have fitted it. if the other one arrives i will contact you and arrange to send it to you. check the contacts on yours as well just to make sure they arent just dirty. the haynes manual wont help you at all by the way.

Daddydes, i have just received the voltage regulator. if you still want it send me an email to premier-installations@hotmail.com

88 1.4 Fuel and temp guages both not working- Now Solved!! - pauly8888

I just purchased a lovely 1987 Sunny yesterday evening. The ONLY thing wrong is that the temp/fuel gauges aren't working. The seller showed me a small electrical part in the engine bay that he thought was faulty. I'm glad I read this forum before wasting my time on that! Now to look out for this 'regulator'...unless someone has a spare ;-)