97 2.0 Suspect Head Gasket - hedgemonkey
Hi

I hope someone out there can help,
My 806 is a 2.0 petrol. I suspect that there's a head gasket problem as inside the oil filler there is a white gunky substance that looks like water in the oil.

There's no oil in the water though, and it doesn't overheat, needle stays between 70 and 90.

My question is, is the enough room in the engine bay to get the cylinder head off? I had an espace a few years ago with the same problem and the only way to get the head off was to remove the entire engine and gearbox from underneath! I'm hoping its not the same with the pug.

It looks like it might be possible if a little tricky, anyone out there with similar experience?

Thanks in advance
97 2.0 Suspect Head Gasket - Peter D
If the stat was working the car would run at 88 or so all then time. Does this model have and oil cooler in the read if so this is where you problem may lie as the oil cooling is in the low pressure return oil feed and the water pressure is 10 to 13 psi or so and may be leaking water into the oil. Regards Peter
Thanks for the reply, I don't think there is an oil cooler in the rad, not 100% sure though as its dark out there! I don't see any oil pipes travelling in the direction of the rad, so I'm guessing not.

The rad hoses don't seem to be pressurising and the coolant wasn't even warm after a 40 mile drive earlier. There's no loss of power or any other symptoms, just lots of gunk under the filler cap and on the dipstick.
97 2.0 Suspect Head Gasket - Robin the Technician
Hi,
I wouldn't be too hasty to change the head gasket. The likely cause of this 'mayo' is a combination of cold weather and short journeys. If you took the car on a fairly long run - say, 50 miles, the 'mayo' would have gone. It's caused by water molecules in the oil which get burnt off when the engine gets hot. However it needs to be hot for a fair time to allow all the molecules to evaporate. There are ways of overcoming it - changing the oil for fully synthetic works.
This condition was a common problem on 1.6 Maestros and Montegos and it was never the head gasket.

So, on Sunday instead of driving 2 miles to church, take it on a good blast down the motorway.

Hope this helps

Robin the Technician
Thanks Robin

I'll bear that in mind, I haven't had the car that long but I don't think the previous owner had it serviced for some time. We are supposed to be driving it down to Disneyland Paris on Monday, so that should be long enough!!

I was thinking of doing an oil change before we go anyway, do you think it would be worth running some flushing oil through it first, before putting proper oil in it?
97 2.0 Suspect Head Gasket - Robin the Technician
Hi,
It won't do any harm to flush the engine prior to filling with oil. Plus your run to Paris will give the engine an opportunity to stay hot long enough to burn off any residual 'mayo'.

Enjoy your trip to Paris and have a safe journey.

Robin the Technician
97 2.0 Suspect Head Gasket - Englishbullterrier
Great response Robin.....