00 2.0 Clutch release bearing - Argh! - BrixKev
Firstly, a big thank you to Panda_man for the excellent advice on how to remove my suspension arms from my ball-joints! I tried to thank him a little while ago on my original thread, but the site seemed to be having problems.

So, now to the present...I have just replaced the clucth in my pug 406 Hdi 90.
All has gone well so far (Inexperienced DIY mechanic) but I am having a problem with my clutch release bearing. The old one was completely disintegrated (so that was what the loud bang was!) and so I am unsure of the fittings that go along with it.

How do I post pictures on here?

On the transmission input shaft, there is a loose sleeve (looks like a short piece of pipe with a lip at one end - not sure if it has a specific name. This tube seems to fit in the new release bearing, but I am unsure if it is just a remnant part of the old bearing. The inside surface of the new release bearing is plastic, so I don't think it would go directly onto the input shaft. Also, the back end of the release earing is plasic - would the release arm push directly onto this?

Thanks in advance to any help you can give.
Kevin.
00 2.0 Clutch release bearing - Argh! - Dynamic Dave
How do I post pictures on here?

Upload then to a free photo hosting website and then submit the link to it here.
00 2.0 Clutch release bearing - Argh! - RichardW
PSA use a combined input shaft seal and release bearing guide tube on these boxes. The tube should be joined on the seal cover (bolted to the inside of the bellhousing), so it sounds like yours has come adrift. A new seal comes complete with the tube, and should be replaced as a matter of course when changing the clutch - it costs <£10 - just remove the 3 bolts and it comes off. The release bearing should clip onto the release fork (only with plastic arms though, so don't force it!). It's worth replacing the two nylon bushes the release fork pivots on as well - they cost pennies, but add a lot to the smoothness of the new clutch - but getting the pin out of the release arm can be a bit tricky - had to drill out the one on my mate's car.
Thanks for the replies.
I hope that the pictures can show what I am talking about much easier. You can see that the tube is pretty scored, so may not be how it should look when hole.
RichardW, does this look as though it could be part of this seal / tube assembly that you mentioned?

My old release bearing is here:

tinyurl.com/yka56h3

Mysterious tube is here:

tinyurl.com/yg5ktsr

Front and back of new bearing is here:

tinyurl.com/ylbywuu
tinyurl.com/yhsv692

New bearing with mysterious tube fitted in:

tinyurl.com/ygnqt2t

Gearbox end of transmission shaft (with clutch release lever):

tinyurl.com/yzzdvfu

Clutch relese lever with release bearing fitted. This is just slid on and easily comes off:

tinyurl.com/ykuvb7q

Thanks!
Kevin.

Edited by BrixKev on 24/01/2010 at 15:16

Does it have a hydraulic or cable clutch? This is different to one I did on my mate's 306 HDi 90 - the release arm looks more like those used on the ML5 box - which use a hydraulic pull clutch. On Pic 6 you can clearly see the 3 bolts holding the seal in - and I would expect from the ones I have seen for there to be a tube coming out along the input shaft. The last pics with the RB fitted look to be far too much play between the bearing and shaft - it will flop all over the place! Might be worth popping down to your local Pug dealer and having a look at the pics on their parts database to see what should be fitted.

Edited by RichardW on 24/01/2010 at 19:41

Hi,
Its a hydraulic clutch (push type?) and I believe the gearbox is the BE3/5 model.
I have taken another picture and put the mystery pipe onto the triangular seal unit with the three bolts.
You are right - it looks as though it was attached here - thanks!
Yes, the bearing without the pipe wobbles all over the place and easilty falls off the arm.

Just a few last questions, when I get the new part from the pug dealer, a I getting the whole thing, as shown in the photo, or does the seal come out of the triangular metalwork? What is this part called? Is it something like a release bearing guide come transmission shaft seal?

Frony view with pipe placed on top:
tinyurl.com/yglg59t

Rear view showing seal:
tinyurl.com/yl99d66

Thanks!
Kevin.
I can't remeber what they call it, but if you go in and ask for an input shaft seal you will be on the right track - all the ones I have seen before come complete with the seal in the plate, and the tube. Once they get it up on the computer you will be able to look and see that it is the right part.
Hi Richard,
Thanks for all of the advice. I got the part (£11.01 inc vat, so not bad). Car has now been re-assembled and the clutch is working.
I now have another small problem which I will post in a seperate message.
Thanks again,
Kevin.

Edited by BrixKev on 27/01/2010 at 16:07