96 998c Timing chain rattle - symiller
hi,

is it possible that a loose timing chain could be causing the horrendous rattle coming from my micra engine?

my tiny car has gone from being as quiet as a mouse to sounding just like an old diesel taxi!

thing is, it came on immediately yesterday. was fine at 9am when i went to the shops, by 10am on the way home the noise was there.

the oil/water are fine and are checked weekly and the car starts and drives as normal.

can these chains be adjusted up if a bit loose?
or is it a complete new chain kit thats needed?
is it safe to drive as it is?

I know the noise is coming from inside the engine as the noise increases when i remove the oil filler cap as the car ticks over.

it really sounds like a diesel engine now - thats the best way i can describe it.

HELP!!
96 998c Timing chain rattle - bell boy
they need oil changes to be quiet ,maybe yours missed the boat?
96 998c Timing chain rattle - symiller
as i said in the question, the oil is fine and is checked weekly and has been changed twice a year, so not quite sure what point you are trying to make.
96 998c Timing chain rattle - SteveLee
If the noise disappears after the engine has warmed up I wouldn't be too bothered, have you changed the type or grade of oil you use as these have hydralic tensioners and can be affected by oil type. If it's rattling continously I'd be looking to change the chains as it's not unheard of for your K11 engine to snap chains. Not that easy a job, it'll take you all day.
96 998c Timing chain rattle - bathtub tom
It worries me that it started suddenly.

When these get loose they normally rattle when cold, but quieten down as the engine warms up.

I'd suggest you get it looked at, or remove the timing chain cover yourself to have a look, if you feel competent. The Haynes manual gives a good picture of what should be there if say a guide has broken up.

Let us know what entails.
96 998c Timing chain rattle - bell boy
has been changed twice a year so not quite sure what point you are trying
to make.

> you dont give all that information in your post
so obviously my Chrystal ball needs a re shine