00 1.8 Squeaking/vibrating/clunking brakes - primeradriver
I have a 2000/X Primera 1.8 which has an issue with the brakes.

This happened a few months ago where you could hear a "clunk-click-clunk-click" coming from the NSF brake under light braking when driving slowly. The noise would disappear if the brake pedal was pushed harder.

Took it to the garage expecting it to be a loose brake pad rattling in the caliper. Garage said caliper was fine, but pads and disks were marginal. Replaced, noise clears.

Moving forward around 3-4000 miles, the noise has returned. Things I have noticed:

1) It only seems to be noisy when the car has been driven for a while, maybe after 20 miles or so.

2) In addition to the clonking, if you brake at speed there is a high-pitched squeal which oscillates with the speed of the wheel, as if there is metal-metal brushing against each other. Again if the brake is pushed harder the noise dissipates.

3) No deterioration in braking performance has been noted. However when braking at speed, sometimes there is a very slight pull to the right when the brake pedal is first pushed, which almost immediately disappears.

Any clues as to what is causing this? Was it my initial thought of a loose pad (which I still believe may be the case)?
00 1.8 Squeaking/vibrating/clunking brakes - Badminton bill
I have had a problem with my 2001 primera brakes making noises after a period of heavy braking. The problem was due to a ring of rust round the edge of the front discs scraping against the caliper when hot. I just tapped off the rust with a chisel and the problem has never come back.
00 1.8 Squeaking/vibrating/clunking brakes - Altea Ego
what wheel is the noise coming from? Right, left or both? How many miles has it done?

clearly the right front provides full braking power quicker than the left. It sounds to me like sticky calipers.
00 1.8 Squeaking/vibrating/clunking brakes - primeradriver
Interesting, was just looking for this post again thinking it had been abandoned...

This problem has moved on a little bit.

I took the car back into the garage. This noise only appears when the car has been driven for a number of miles. I told the garage this, they said that, for obvious reasons they couldn't take the car for a 20-mile hike to diagnose this issue so I should give it a run before bringing it in. This I duly did, but I made the mistake of taking the car in over the lunch break and they had no mechanics to go out and hear the noise.

They looked over the car and could find no issue with the brakes. They identified a perished drop-link on the driver's side (not entirely inconceivable that this could have been knocking and the noise was being transmitted) and this was replaced, along with two tyres and the brakes were cleaned up and descaled. They said they had taken it out on a run and could identify no fault.

Got the car back and, sure enough, no noise.

However, two days later and it's back, albeit to a much lesser degree than before. I am not entirely convinced about the condition of the brakes though as there does seem to be a slight warp on one of the discs (evident from a slight pulsing of the brake pedal at times) and the pull hasn't completely gone away.

I am going to get another guy I know to make a second opinion. I agree with you AE that I think it's a sticking caliper, possibly with a loose brake pad on the near side.

The car has done 255,000 miles, but has been regularly serviced during the four years/60,000 miles I've had it. No problems with the brakes or suspension components until this recent fault. As mentioned I believe the noise is coming from the near side. Brakes have been cleaned or replaced twice now and all components reseated in each case.

Edited by primeradriver on 05/02/2010 at 21:10