09 1.5 problem with windscreen washer jets - diddy1234
I have a problem with windscreen washer jets.

When I initially turn them on to clean the windscreen I get a quick jet of water then nothing.

Repeated turning on and off results in some water coming out.

This is also the same for the rear washer jet as well.

I checked the water bottle and this is filled up with screen wash.
The problem has existed since early December but I thought it was just down to the cold weather (freezing up), but since it has warmed up the issue still exists.

Obviously this is not electrical as the washer jet motor does come on.

Any ideas ?

{changed year in header from 20 to 09 - following a forum search of your previous postings to establish correct year}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/02/2010 at 09:54

20 1.5 problem with windscreen washer jets - shara
Are the jets blocked by anything? I've had issues in the past where bits of road dirt in and around the jets has caused an uneven flow of water.
20 1.5 problem with windscreen washer jets - diddy1234
I don't think so as when water does come out, the water comes out of each nozzle hole.

I think the problem could be further back as when the water stops coming out the pump motor speed rises (like it is not pumping water).

I also checked for leaks but there are none and also the water bottle level is still the same.

Edited by diddy1234 on 18/01/2010 at 13:07

09 1.5 problem with windscreen washer jets - CraigP
If the front and the rear are both suffering the same symptoms then that suggests to me either the water reservoir, the pump, or the piping between the two (or immediately after the pump too i guess) is where the fault lies.

The fact the pump actuates suggests electrics might be ok, so i'd check the pump first to ensure that the mechanical side of it works properly. With any luck it'll be somewhere nice and easy to reach and you can disconnect the feed out from it and have someone actuate the washer stalk to see what like the flow is from the pump?

Don't know of an easy way to check for blockage in the reservoir, other than by removing it from the car. Maybe there's a trick someone else knows?

I imagine there's very little slack in the piping, it'll all be very efficiently routed so i doubt there will be any kinking, but there could be a puncture somewhere? Although if it was leaking you'd probably smell the antifreeze?
ok thanks for the tip

I will have a look.
I got the dealer to check it out and the washer pump motor is blocked.

Due to be changed next week by dealer.

Just thought id let you all know.

Thanks for all of your posts.
09 1.5 problem with windscreen washer jets - CraigP
the washer pump motor is blocked.
Due to be changed next week by dealer.

Can they not just clean it out / repair it? That's an outrage! :-)
not that I know of.

I have been told its an hours work, so I will pop in and wait one lunch time next week.

I wouldn't be surprised if they clean it out then plug it back in and tell me its been changed !
09 1.5 problem with windscreen washer jets - zookeeper
just pull the pipe from the driver side jet ( under the bonnet) the one furthest from the pump , and then blow down it as hard as you can.....worked for me, all it was ,was a bit of gunge blocking the pick up pipe in the ressy bottle
09 1.5 problem with windscreen washer jets - MarkSh
I had the same problem with my 2.0CRDi Carens a couple of weeks ago, despite checking everything including blowing down the pipe into the bottle I could not get them to work for more than a short blast at a time. The car is over 3 years old and still under warranty (5 yrs) so it went back to my Kia dealer, who have been extremely responsive and helpful whenever I have had dealings with them. The problem was a blocked filter on the pump which they removed, cleaned and refitted. Despite it being under warranty I half expected them to say that this was a maintenance issue not a warranty item but no the work was completed under warranty with no charge to myself. My faith in both Kia and the dealer was maintained and my intention will be to replace the car with the new Sorento when the time comes.