03 1.2 Power steering, NATS & tailgate lock fault - rodent279
Have 3 problems with the 2003 Micra.

PS light is coming on, no power steering, all the time
NATS light is coming on, intermittant, can resolve by removing & replacing a fuse
Tailgate locks itself & won't unlock, intermittant & currently behaving itself.

Had the AA out, they ran some diagnostics on it, cleared the NATS light by removing & replacing a fuse, couldn't do anything about the PS. Said they were getting fault code U1001 out of the ECU.

Had a poke around, no sign of any obvious loose connections or chafed wires. Bit worried as another thread on this forum suggests up £600 for a new PS motor.

Also slighty odd that a car that has given trouble free reliable service for 3 yrs has now developed 3 problems since being serviced at the local main dealer 3 weeks ago. 4 if you count the wiper mechanism that broke and had to be replaced when we had the first lot of snow.

Any ideas out there anyone?

cheers,
Neil

Edited by Webmaster on 17/01/2010 at 22:15

03 1.2 Nissan Micra 1.2s 2003 probs - Marlinowner
Our Micra had to have a new column assembly for the power steering problem, £600, have also had problems with tailgate not unlocking but fixed it myself with new tailgate switch-water gets in. Also am now on our 4th wiper mechanism, last time it failed I took it off and used a self tapping screw to reattach the linkage, still holding...
03 1.2 Nissan Micra 1.2s 2003 probs - rodent279
Latest update-several quotes from garages £500-800 for new steering assembly. Nissan dealer quoted over £2300 for a new unit, £800 for recon! Worth it for the comedy value.

Can anyone confirm that the steering col & motor have to be renewed as one unit?

Also have NATS immobilier fault, garage unable to deal with, say it has to be a main dealer. Anyone have experience of this?

The car is a 2003 with less than 60k miles, well loked after, driven considerately. I think this is too low for these sort of problems. I think Nissan have messed up the quality of their cars, as a result I will not be getting another Nissan after 25yrs with few problems. I ran a Bluebird for over 180k miles with no major problems.

cheers,
N

Edited by rodent279 on 21/01/2010 at 13:28

03 1.2 Power steering, NATS & tailgate lock fault - clo4

well let me explain a little if i can, my 55 plate micra, PS light came on, and yes the main s******s wanted £2500 to do it, i got a recon motor for £500, in it went and then the nats light came on every few miles and stayed on, this is a seperate issue, maybe batteries too old in fobs , you can get the batteries but if you take too long putting them in, oops the immobiliser locks you out, back to main s******s with it,

so nats can be stopped (sometimes) by taking out the fuse in the car, or taking the battery off over night, if that does not work take keys to main dealers, and have them programmed

yes £70 worth but it is the main s******s, after having PS done every now and then the PS light came on, so got another pump, and same again, apparently the switch either sees it or does not, so now if ps light comes on, turn the ignition off and re start then it is ok, so after all this, the car has to go to nissan to get nats light off, same as all other nissan micras if you get a ps fault the nats light appears, maybe a connection somewhere, thinking the car is being stolen makes sense because it is an immobiliser system, i will never buy another micra, i have run them for years but never again, dumb NATS system.