06 1.6TDCi - DPF replenish - Focus100
Dear all,

first time post and would appreciate any help.

My engine managment light came on (ford Focus 06 1.6TDCi) this week and as I have paid for an extended warrenty from Arnold Clarke I took it down there, I bought it from them in March 09. Now they said it was that Diesel Particulate Filter and that it needs replenishing, they said its not covered under warrenty and that they had a price from a 'ford'garage for £300 to replenish and re-programme. Now as it turned out this was not an official ford garage so I contacted the offical one and they are doing it at a cost of £90, saying there is a small chance the filter may need replacing at a mammoth £700..

Anyway, I bought the car with over 38k on the clock and having looked at the log book Arnold Clarke did a service at 38k. They have confirmed this DPF replensih was not done on that service as recommended by ford ("3rd service or 37500") - have I got a case to bill them for it?? is this just a recommendation?

Cheers

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/01/2010 at 17:42

Top Reply

Ford Focus - DPF replenish - Arnold Clark - gmac
At the third service the Eolys fluid needs filling and the computer reset.
This is a standard service item which cannot be ignored. No Eolys, no DPF.

The 72k service is fluid + new DPF.

All Replies

At the third service the Eolys fluid needs filling and the computer reset.
This is a standard service item which cannot be ignored. No Eolys, no DPF.

The 72k service is fluid + new DPF.
Ford Focus - DPF replenish - Arnold Clark - Focus100
Thanks very much for that much appreciated.

SQ

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/01/2010 at 17:42

Ford Focus - DPF replenish - Arnold Clark - rtj70
I didn't think the Ford-PSA engines used in Fords used the Eolys fluid. In fact the PSA cars stopped using then when they switched from FAP (which used Eolys) to DPF.

Something sounds wrong about what is being charged for. Now if the DPF needs regenerating by the dealer that's one thing but it certainly does not need replenishing and does not use any liquids to regenerate - just heat from the exhaust. The catalyst needed is in the DPF. Eolys liquid was the catalyst needed by the FAP filters.
Reading the first post again:
Now they said it was that Diesel Particulate Filter and that it needs replenishing

I bet they said it needed regenerating? No? If it does then you might only need to drive it as the handbook says until the DPF light goes out?
Thank for the reply. They did say it needs repelnishing, they mentioned nothing of regenerating. I am not sure the ins and out of the fluid but will question them.

Is there much of a chance the filter will need replacing bearing in mind its got 48k on the clock?
A DPF does not use a fluid. An older style filter used by the Peugeot Citroen group, called a FAP filter, used a liquid called Eolys to help with the regeneration of the filter. It got injected into the diesel each time you filled up.

A DPF has the necessary catalyst in the DPF itself to regenerate but that needs the temperature in the exhaust to be raised.
Thanks again
Ford Focus - DPF replenish - Arnold Clark - daveyjp
And unfortunately if you don't do the right sort of driving to keep a DPF diesel happy this is a problem which won't go away.

You need to be doing decent mileage with regular longer trips i.e 20 miles plus. This is needed to get the DPF to a high enough temperature to regenerate.
These DPF's only need five minutes at 40mph or more according to the handbook.

The additive tank is located next to the main fuel tank and requires replenishing at 37500 and 75000 according to FordEtis.
The additive tank is located next to the main fuel tank and requires replenishing at 37500
and 75000 according to FordEtis.

Do Ford's DPFs need an additive? I thought that was for FAPs. Maybe secretly this is like the additive some Audi and Mercedes Benz use to lower emissions.
Ford Focus - DPF replenish - Arnold Clark - WorkshopTech
Yes, where fitted with DPF these have additive.
I bet a lot (including me) didn't know Ford DPFs used an additive.

I think I'd prefer the previous car I had. Mondeo TDCi 2.0 Euro IV (no DPF).

Edited by rtj70 on 15/01/2010 at 19:57

Ford Focus - DPF replenish - Arnold Clark - elekie&a/c doctor
The Ford additive is bought as a kit of a 5 litre fluid and all the reqd filling pipework.One car takes around 2.5 litres and while no special tools are needed to fill the add tank,the system needs to be reset on the diagnostic system.The re-fill kit costs around £160.hth
Ford Focus - DPF replenish - Arnold Clark - WorkshopTech
I think its fair to warn that this fluid is rather nasty stuff, so if you DIY then store is safely and take precautions when handling, wear protective clothing goggles or something to keep it out of your eyes if it splashes.
Thanks again for the help. Ford have topped it up at a cost of £100. He said there is hardly any labour and the cost if mainly for the v expensive liquid and for the diagnostic machine to re-programme.
Ford Focus - DPF replenish - Arnold Clark - Arnold Clark
Hi, I have read your post, and if you are in any way unhappy with the service at Arnold Clark, we would like to help. If you do need assistance, please e-mail us on online.customer.services@arnoldclark.co.uk - we would be happy to help if we can.

Kind Regards

Alasdair
Arnold Clark Customer Services
Ford Focus - DPF replenish - Arnold Clark - L'escargot
I bet a lot (including me) didn't know Ford DPFs used an additive.

Yet another reason for me not to buy a diesel.
Ford Focus - DPF replenish - Arnold Clark - merlie

All this makes for worrying reading .... my 06 Focus 1.6 tdci is at Dagenham motors at the moment and whilst a few garages that I have spoken to say this special oil needs replenishing and that it requires there own diagnotic equipment to recalibrate the system im concerned about the whole cost of this thing. I mean to get these emissions down they we the owner has to pay for an extra additive? wots the the point of that if one of the main reasons was to save on cost in the 1st place ?

Ford Focus - DPF replenish - Arnold Clark - MikeTorque

Yes exactly, there is a cost involved with this type of DPF. The current range of DPFs uses different technology that doesn't require the use of special fluid to burn off the soot.

However, cost is not the only consideration, the exhaust emitted is substantially cleaner than diesels not fitted without a DPF, which translates to fewer people either dying or who's health suffers adversely, those are the main reasons diesel engines vehicles are fitted with a DPF, there are unbelievers who don't accept these facts but that's humans for you.

Ford Focus - DPF replenish - Arnold Clark - Big John

As far as I know diesels that use Eolys fluid can regen at a much lower temperature(this is good!). Without this much higher temperatures are required for passive regen otherwise regens require extra CR diesel injections - just before exhaust strokes - this feeds DPFs with diesel equired for regens but also can have a side effect of diesel bore wash and sump oil contamination.Ultimately this can cause many problems - premature failure of bores, big ends, main bearings and catastrophic failure due to engine runnaway on diesel contaminated sump-oil.

Ford Focus - DPF replenish - Arnold Clark - unthrottled

Point well made. I would add that Eolys leads to less wasted diesel. Eolys gets a bad rep, but it's not all bad. It's a shame that the refilling precedure is such a palaver.

Ford Focus - DPF replenish - Arnold Clark - ChannelZ

Point well made. I would add that Eolys leads to less wasted diesel. Eolys gets a bad rep, but it's not all bad. It's a shame that the refilling precedure is such a palaver.

Cheaper in the long run to get the DPF totally removed and it's functions removed from the ECU. Total cost £300. Better than £200 for fluid refill every 30-40k and new filter for £1000 at 72k.

I can see a lot of 1.6TDCI cars being scrapped prematurely when they get to 6 years old as it's not worth spending the money on them.

Heck, Fords are disposable at 8 years old now as it is (my mondeo is only worth £1k - any bill more than £500 mean it'll be going to the big scrapyard in the sky!).

Ford Focus - DPF replenish - Arnold Clark - MikeTorque

Not so, there are plenty of 6+ year old Ford Focus 1.6 TDCi motors running around with well over 100k miles with plenty of life in them yet. As long as they are well maintained with regular oil & filter changes & services and quality diesel used then far fewer issues occur, and their life expectancy is on a par with any other diesel motor.

Ford Focus - DPF replenish - Arnold Clark - paulab

I have had endless problems with my 1.6 TDCI from a brand new purchase on an 09 plate. In regards to the DPF I began to notice my mpg drop ridiculously last summer followed by it going into limp mode on 3 occasions. The 1st two times Ford forced the car into regeneration which cleared the problem and on the 2nd topped up the serum. On the 3rd breakdown whilst travelling on a motorway in the outside lane when my speed dropped from 70 - 40mph in seconds was a terrible experience to try and get back over to the inside lane. Mileage wise I had reached the magic number approx 73,000 - on this occasion Ford advised I needed a new DPF so with the £900 fee for the new DPF plus over £200 spent on the 1st and 2nd breakdown I was not happy. I did look into the DPF cleaning and the removal of it completely from the car but had also heard negatives about future computer problems when the car is to be MOT'd etc. So I paid Ford Gates more money for the new DPF hoping this would be the end of my troubles (well atleast untill I hit 150,000). This was at the end of January. Since then when washing my car I have noticed a coke like liquid (like glue) splats all over the back of my car and on my driveway. I have just had my service and asked them to check the DPF as ever since I have had this liquid splatted over the car. They have now advised me that the DPF Tank needs replacing at a cost of a further £805!!!!! When will the costs end???? So my car is only 4.5 years old and at 86,000 is finished, how ridiculous, you expect a Ford to be a reliable car to last a good 10 years but these cost are massive and this DPF is a nightmare. My father-in-law owns the 1.8 TDCI and does not have this problem. I deeply regret buying the 1.6. Does anybody have a cheaper alternative to changing the DPF Tank please? Has anyone experienced this additional problem? Otherwise it looks like I am going to have to cut my losses and change the car avoiding the FORD brand or avoiding a Diesel. Suggestions please....many thanks

Edited by paulab on 13/09/2013 at 01:50

Ford Focus - DPF replenish - Arnold Clark - dieselnut

It sounds to me like Ford Gates could have damaged the Eolys tank or left a pipe loose when they filled it last. You could get a second hand tank from a breakers for probably £50 then get a local garage to fit & transfer over the remaining Eolys fluid.

Ford Focus - DPF replenish - Arnold Clark - paulab

Thank you for message.

Yes it does seem strange how the tank has only become a problem since they changed the DPF although Ford Gates do not want to hear about it and will not even consider that they could be at fault. I really regret buying this car, I actually enjoy driving the car and it has all the space I need but the Ford garages have been so incompetent . On one occasion whilst it was in for it's 1st service they had took a chunk out of the paintwork in the side door, thankfully I noticed straight away so they agreed to repair the damage but my whole experience with Ford dealerships has been a huge let down.

I will seek out the part at a breakers and ask my local garage if they are able to fit it as I certainly do not want to take it back to Ford Gates.

Thanks again for the advice :-)

Edited by paulab on 14/09/2013 at 14:02