03 1.9d Am I being taken for a ride? - adnileb
My car is currently in the garage, having £800 worth of repairs done on it... It's done about 45,000 miles, and they are replacing the belt (cam belt?) and doing something which is costing about £200 to the front brakes.

The guy said that it was the 'brake holders' which he was replacing. But I've never heard of brake holders? Are they made up...?

Am convinced he's cheating me, not least because he was trying to charge £350 (inc VAT/Parts/Labour) for the belt, but the VW dealership said they charged £295. He dropped that price to £300 when I asked about it but am still pondering the rest (which i'd already asked him to do... )

Any ideas? Obviously I can't do much about it since he's done the work now but reassurance would be nice...
03 1.9d Am I being taken for a ride? - craig-pd130

£300 all in is fair enough for the cambelt, if it's done properly.

Did you identify a problem with the brakes, or did he advise you about it?
03 1.9d Am I being taken for a ride? - WorkshopTech
Brake holders? He could mean caliper carriers, but you wouldnt normally need to replace these. Could he mean the calipers themselves? They can sieze. Were the discs going rusty on their friction surface?
The brakes were working ok - though I did think they were feeling a bit rough. I don't know - if you could give me a question to ask him which would get the answer, I'd feel much more brave! I don't want him to think I'm clueless (though in all honesty, he's probably already worked that one out)!!
p.s. I didn't mention the brakes to him - this was all 'discovered' in a service...
03 1.9d Am I being taken for a ride? - TurboD
Ask what exactly needs replacing on th brakes, and how long can it wait before being replaced. The MOt should falg these uep - take it somewhere else for the MOT. It is a new car - to me- but may need discs by now- and pad of course, but never calipers
I suppose a garge could soon run a fair bill on these though being VW.
(ps I loathe belt driven cams and chose a chain model to avoid these nasty replacements)

03 1.9d Am I being taken for a ride? - jc2
Calipers can and do fail-usually the seals which will either leak or cause the whole assembly to seize.
03 1.9d Am I being taken for a ride? - quizman
What oil is this garage using in your Passat?

03 1.9d Am I being taken for a ride? - sandy56
ask him for a written list of faults and costs.
The you can google the technical terms if you dont know.
Also you can phone up the main delaer and get prices for the repairs as listed.

and if you dont know ASK HIM!
Thanks all - will get a proper breakdown of costs tomorrow!
03 1.9d Am I being taken for a ride? - David Horn
Note that cambelt is less than £300 at a VW dealer, and you get your car valeted for free.