New Motor - something for the weekend - WellKnownSid
My quest for an enjoyable weekend car is finally over. I'd originally set out looking for a Series III Jaguar XJ6 - having spent many a childhood weekend helping my father maintain his Series II. Sadly, every example I've seen here in Spain has been pooly maintained and an obvious money pit.

This weekend I picked up my (new to me) 1988 Mercedes-Benz 300E (W124). The car is immaculate inside and out and is an absolute delight to drive. Much quieter than the 2001 W203 I had from new - in fact it wafts along silently with no thunks, clunks, squeaks, rattles or groans - clearly those clever Germans knew how to build a car in those days!

Under the bonnet, it's obvious there has been no expense spared, and everything including the ABS, climate control, slide/tilt sunshine roof, windows, locks, mirrors, rear headrests, aerial, and memory seats all work perfectly.

The dealer was fantastic, and prepared the car beautifully, attending to all the items I'd picked up on without hesitation - including a small oil leak from the gasket front of the engine. He even attended to some items I hadn't picked up on! And he also wasn't joking when he said it came with "full history" - a fully stamped Mercedes Benz service book, all the manuals, and every invoice and MoT certificate for the last 22 years!

I even have the original bill of sale - the car was bought from a dealer in Marbella for 9 million pesetas (around £40,000 - the price of a small house in Milton Keynes in 1988 if I recall correctly!).

The burden is now upon me to maintain the car in the manner to which she has become accustomed. Thankfully that shouldn't be too hard - around here garage rates are a whopping 27 euros an hour and every workshop is teaming with old men that have all grown up with these cars. Plus, with no DPF or DMF to worry about, I don't think I'll be losing much sleep.

Heidi is now asleep under her protective cover. She may venture out and take the kids to school one day this week, but only if it's not raining...
New Motor - something for the weekend - sandy56
sounds GREAT

good luck with it
New Motor - something for the weekend - corax
Good luck with it, I love those W124 Mercedes, especially the coupe and 500E.

In Madeira, all the taxis are Mercedes, and the drivers dote on them :-)
New Motor - something for the weekend - gordonbennet
Well done WKS one of the best motors from the best years, i'm firmly of the opinion that your model..pre facelift was far better built than the later facelift motors (i've owned both and still have one facelift a keeper), the very best of luck with it.
New Motor - something for the weekend - SteveLee
That's a decent Merc designed before they really went down hill at the hands of the bean counters. I am surprised after giving up on the hard to find series 3 you didn't look at the X300 XJ6 - these are the most reliable Jags ever made, often finishing ahead of BMWs, Mercedes and Lexus in the reliability stakes. Still, you've got a nice car that should last.
New Motor - something for the weekend - WellKnownSid
I am surprised after giving up on the hard to find series
3 you didn't look at the X300 XJ6

The Series III XJ6 would have been an unashamed 'heart' purchase rather than a 'head' one - mainly for the look of the thing and the fond memories it brings.

The X300 certainly came into the equation. In the end, the shorter production run and the rarity of the brand here means that there are few good examples in Spain, and I wasn't prepared to go RHD. Importing can be expensive, especially as prices for decent older LHD cars are steep throughout Europe at the moment - probably down to scrappage.

The W124 was the practical choice, deemed to be a reliable car backed up with plenty of spares and lots of knowledgeable mechanics - something the Jag wouldn't have enjoyed. That said, the Merc was by no means a compromise for the 'heart' side of things though. Out of all the new and expensive hire cars I've driven in the UK last year, including MBs and Audis, this car feels the most solid and well screwed together - despite the 22 year difference in age! Put simply - it brings a smile to my face every time a drive it. And isn't that what driving should be about?

Of course, if I ever stumble upon an immaculate LHD Series III in black with full history - well, just don't tell the wife!!
New Motor - something for the weekend - craig-pd130

Sounds lovely, I've long fancied a 2-door W124 "coupe", they're a timelessly elegant car.

My only quibble is, MB only put the V8 motor in the LHD 500E. A W124 coupe with the V8 from a 420 or 500 would be a wonderful thing :D