saloon v VW Jetta 1.4 TSI - Brianthebubble
I would appreciate any help in choosing which of these two cars to go for. From what I can see the SX4 saloon just comes with the 1.6 petrol engine and looking at the previous posts for the Jetta, the 1.4 petrol engine is well thought of. I note that the Jetta is a lot more expensive. I would be looking for a one-year old car for either choice. I do not do a lot of miles a year. just close to home, and reliability and comfort and a quiet engine are most important. Any help would be welcome.

Brian

Edited by Pugugly on 08/01/2010 at 08:49

Suzuki SX4 saloon v VW Jetta 1.4 TSI - Pugugly
Jetta will be a better bet long term as regards depreciation and probably build quality.
Suzuki SX4 saloon v VW Jetta 1.4 TSI - Brianthebubble
Pugugly. Thanks for your reply. Which would you expect to be more reliable - engine, electrics and just generally?
Suzuki SX4 saloon v VW Jetta 1.4 TSI - NickS
I have a MkV Golf, which as far as I know is basically the same car as the Jetta. If its the 1.4TSI you're interested in then I have read only good things about it. If its the 1.4 naturally aspirated engine, then my previous Golf had the 1.4 FSI enigne and whilst it was fine around town, it struggled woefully on motorways etc.

Reliablilty wise, my Golf has been pretty good wih very few faults in the 70k miles it has now covered. Ive never owned a Suzuki, but my perception is that reliability would be good. I would imagine the Jetta would be a nicer place to be inside, and will possibly come with more toys if you go for SE spec and above (auto lights, wipers, dipping mirror, climatronic etc)

Is it Jetta v SX4 from a company list? If not, seems a bit of a strange pairing........ I would consider a Focus (saloon if thats what you are after), Mazda 3 Saloon and maybe a few others over and above the SX4. If you're keen on SX4 territory though, then the Chevrolet Cruze/Dodge Avenger look pretty good value for money......

Passat might be worth a look too?

Edit: just saw it was the TSi, so my comments re: the 1.4 FSI are now null and void :-). Id choose the Jetta. All day long.

Edited by NickS on 08/01/2010 at 10:28

NickS. HJ has just confirmed what you have said - also suggests the Cruze. Did not realize the SX4 was that low down the league. Maybe a older , older than one year, Jetta but one with the 1.4TSI engine might be the thing to go for. Thanks for your help. Just curious why you think SX4/Jetta (not from co. list) are an odd pairing, are they not in the same category?
Suzuki SX4 saloon v VW Jetta 1.4 TSI - NickS
I guess size wise they're in the same category, I just wouldnt consider them to be in the same league quality, price or image wise. Just my opinion though as i'm sure the SX4 is a good car.

The Jetta will certainly retain its value far better than the SX4 though.

I dont know when they started putting the 1.4 TSI engine in the Jetta/Golf, I wouldnt have thought it was much before 57-08 reg though..........

Have you considered an Octavia with the same engine? Might be better value........
I would prefer a saloon. Nicer looks - IMHO + greater security. My boot is my office!
Suzuki SX4 saloon v VW Jetta 1.4 TSI - stunorthants26
I drove around in an SX4 for a few days, quite a nice little car in terms of its practical use and I suspect it will be reliable.
You have to try both cars and see what suits you, its all you can do - nobody here can say what car will do it for you, only suggest a load to try really.
saloon v VW Jetta 1.4 TSI - TrevL
Brian,

I've had a SX4 1.6 for two years 40k+ miles and I find it to be very comfortable (I'm 6ft 3in tall), economical, reliable and the handling/road holding is excellent. the engine was a bit "tight" when new but benefited from 15k miles on the clock. Reasonably quiet ride, original Bridgestone Turanza tyres are not the quietest but roadholding and wear are excellent.

I've had older version Jetta model (and Vento) for a few years too and no problems there apart from bodywork deterioration pre-galv days.

As others have said it's down to personal choice in the end.

Rgds,T.
saloon v VW Jetta 1.4 TSI - Brianthebubble
My original post asked for help in choosing between the two cars. What I meant to ask for - and I only teach English as a Second Language !!!! - was for opinions on both cars. I understand only I can make the final decison and it is so personal. But, there is a wealth of experience in the Back room - that what I learn here would greatly help in making this decision. Of course, referring to HJ opinions and reviews as well. One bus mechanic a few years back once told that the German engines were agricultural in comparison with the Japanese - but the German being more simple lasted longer and that the Japanese are more 'highly strung' as he put. However, my brother had horrendous problems with the electrics of his VW Golf. My interest in the SX4 Saloon was that it is Japanese made. Once the weather defrosts, will have a test drive on both and report back.