Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. [Read only] - BobbyG

***** This thread is now closed, please CLICK HERE to go to Volume 3 *****

OK, I am now bored of watching all these folks struggling with their cars on the snowy roads and blaming everyone else.

So, when the forecasters predicted this heavy snowfall, warning of hazardous conditions, and advised to only travel when necessary did you:

1. Ignore the warning as you hear these all the time and usually wake up to sunshine splitting the trees?
2. Decide that your journey was very very necessary and without you at your destination, there would be serious problems which could not be overcome.
3. Be scared about being the only one who doesn't turn up for work and being seen as a softy?
4. Don't get paid if you don't go to work so felt you had no option?
5. Jump into the car as you usually do or did you take shovel, blankets, phone chargers etc?
6. Think, ya beauty, here's the snow, I am away out to play in the car in it and practice my handbrake turns.

I can accept seeing queues in the afternoons , evenings when snow has hit during the working day and folk are trying to get home, but why get up and spend an hour clearing your car and driveway and then wonder when the roads that you reach are snow bound?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 09/01/2010 at 00:36

Brave or stupid - daveyjp
I've just seen someone driving a Ferrari F430 in the lovely weather we are currently experiencing. Even braver he was joining the bypass which had a surface of frozen slush - hairy to drive on in the Aygo, heaven knows what it's like all that power going through the rear wheels.

He was taking it very steady!

I've also just heard the bypass is now reported closed in both directions due to multi vehicle accidents.

If the bypass is in such a bad condition I suspect Leeds are running out of grit.

Careful anyone who is in the area.
Brave or stupid - madf
If I can run on the roads as I did this morning, drivers can drive on them.
Simples...

(Mind you, the pavements are MUCH worse)

Edited by madf on 06/01/2010 at 17:48

Brave or stupid - Kevin
>I've just seen someone driving a Ferrari F430..

It's probably not too bad if he's easy on the throttle and brakes. Most of his power is above 4k rpm and a limited slip diff helps alot.

Kevin...
Snow - Essential journeys only? - FotheringtonThomas
did you:

1 - Yes.

2 - Not really.

3 - No. I am not a "softy".

4 - N/A

5 - Jump in as usual. Wellies and coat are in the boot anyway.

6 - Oh, yes.

Unsure what title you intended, BTW.

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 06/01/2010 at 18:21

Snow - Essential journeys only? - 1400ted
Saw a sports biker on the way to town...riding normally.
On the way back, on an ungritted dual carriageway with packed snow, I overtook a boker, less confident, on a 125, moving along at about 2 mph with both feet flat on the deck....I'm not sure why HE decided to go out ! Went in the garage when I got home and ran the Silverwing for 10 minutes to show her she'd not been forgotten. Then swept all the snow off the Note and gave her a warm up.

Ted
Snow - Essential journeys only? - Brentus
On the Net this afternoon noticed a few sites said "due to weather" lines closed hope to be back to normal soon. Then later the news on the radio said "supermarkets reporting panic buying". Then tonight on local news report of shops sold out of bread,milk & eggs.
Snow - Essential journeys only? - oilrag
Good old television news - never knowingly understated and with a tendency to turn a 50p rocket into a nuclear air-burst.

Edited by oilrag on 06/01/2010 at 19:20

Snow - Essential journeys only? - boxsterboy
6-8" round our way. School closed by pm so took the kids tobagganing on Box Hill - my it is steep when you are hurtling down, out of control. More like a foot of snow there. Then got turfed out of Waitrose in Cobham becasue it was closing early due to the weather.
Snow - Essential journeys only? - drbe
I had done two round trips to Heathrow by 09.30 this morning. Feeling a bit pleased with myself, so I decided to have a breakfast at Sainsbury's in Cobham (Surrey).

The cafe was shut! The staff can't get in I was told, to which I grumpily replied "That's funny, I have just managed to get to Heathrow twice"

Answer came there none.
Snow - Essential journeys only? - b308
Just number 2 and as we'd already cancelled SWMBO's last appointment and things were getting serious we felt that we had to go (to the Docs), the main roads were clear and quiet, and the Doctor's was empty... surprising how all those "illnesses" that people come down with had suddenly dissappeared... and I know that some couldn't have made it, but there was pracatically no-one in there and the roads and pavements WERE easily passable with care... As the staff there said, it proves just how many of their appointments are actually a waste of time.
Snow - Essential journeys only? - deepwith
b308, I thought the same recently, until the Receptionist said they always had cancellations in poor weather as the really elderly and infirm are frightened of falling and many do not have nearby relatives to transport them. Seemed fair enough to me - and meant we got a very quick appointment.
Snow - Essential journeys only? - Rattle
I think the comment is a little unfair too, there will be a lot of people that waiting room with cancer - they just don't know it yet :(
Snow - Essential journeys only? - b308
b308 I thought the same recently until the Receptionist said they always had cancellations in
poor weather

Yes I agree, but this was to the extreme, while we were there there was only 3 other people came in, and the place has 9 doctors and 3 nurses on duty, they are normally packed at that time of day... The receptionist did confirm that many people don't need to go, but use it as an excuse to get out of the house which then fills the place up...

Rattle, I've totally missed your point, whatever it was...
Snow - Essential journeys only? - old crocks
Last February when we had 8 inches overnight I popped in to the GP surgery to book an appointment. The reception was deserted of patients but I was told some of the doctors had made it in, so I was able so see my doctor straight away.

He was worried about getting stuck in the car so had walked 7 miles in the snow to get to work. I was amazed at his dedication!
Snow - Essential journeys only? - Altea Ego
>>I decided to have a breakfast at Sainsbury's in Cobham (Surrey).
The cafe was shut! The staff can't get in I was told to which I
grumpily replied "That's funny I have just managed to get to Heathrow twice"

SNAP - I went there as well. Decided to get the weekly shop and the wife dragged me out with the promise "i will buy you lunch"

grrrrrrr

Snow - Essential journeys only? - Kevin
>Decided to get the weekly shop and the wife dragged me out with the promise "i will buy you lunch"

Ahh, how cute!

That really, really, really sounds like my mum and dad who have both been retired for over 20yrs.

Fish and chips on a trip to Sainsburys is 'going out for lunch' :-)

Kevin...
Snow - Essential journeys only? - Big Bad Dave
"the wife dragged me out with the promise "i will buy you lunch""

Well she is the main bread-winner now AE. She has to look after you.

did you feel that...? It felt like the balance of power suddenly shifting in somebody's house-hold...
Snow - Essential journeys only? - Altea Ego
did you feel that...? It felt like the balance of power suddenly shifting in somebody's
house-hold...

you foolish boy, Do you *really* think you ever had any power in your household?
Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - Altea Ego
1. Yes
2. No I am retired - I dont care
3. No I am retired - I dont care
4. No I am retired - I dont care
5. As normal - I never carry all that rubbish
6. Yes I am retired, it was playtime.
Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - Alby Back
You don't want to be paying out all that for a Sainsbury's lunch. Might come to nearly a fiver for the two of you. Social services can get you set up for meals on wheels now....and if you do fancy a run out you can call dial a ride........

;-)
Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - Rattle
1) I am injured so cannot drive anyway
2) I am self employed = me no work, me no pay.
3) Have bills to pay
4) Need to earn money

I am walking to local jobs and getting a lift to anything further.

If I was able to drive I would not be risking it.
Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - Lud
My Rod Laver white leather tennis shoes, now decently run in, alas have smooth places on their soles, caused anyway on the left by clutch pedals, that slip on the thick but not very squishy stuff on the pavements. Having no new DMs which might be all right, I changed into the Chinese plastic A$40 walking shoes, almost new, that I got down under to walk to the pub half a mile away.

They were no better, but have wider soles, and thank goodness I still have a sense of balance even after a couple of Leffes. It must be well below zero out there.

Come on Borisovich! Where's all this adjectival salt then?

Seek pavements outside proud prospering shops and under the edges of roofs and overhead motorways. That is my considered advice for the next few days. There were dry bits in the Portobello Road but long bits where no one was doing well enough to clear the pavement.

Never mind your dignity. You don't want a broken bone even if you are a whippersnapper. Nothing like being bandaged up and unable to take a bath to make you smell old.

(Can I stamp on BBD's face after you've finished with him AE? Pretty please!)
Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - captain chaos
Seek pavements outside proud prospering shops and under the edges of roofs and overhead motorways.
That is my considered advice for the next few days. There were dry bits in
the Portobello Road but long bits where no one was doing well enough to clear
the pavement.

Sadly, M'lud, 'tis a foolish proprietor indeed who clears the pavement outside his establishment, due to the slip and sue brigade.

Mrs B managed an involuntary and spontaneous 180 in the Mondeo estate this afternoon at the bottom of the only significant hill for miles. Another few feet and she'd have slid backwards into a busy main road. She had her mother in the car at the time who didn't particularly notice and still didn't draw breath from talking even during the spin. Mrs B decided not to apprise her of the nature of the change of direction and drove back up the hill to the corner shop they had just visited on the pretext of having forgotten something. She went in and bought a bottle of whisky..... some of which she is now drinking........

Must put some new tyres of any description on that car soon.
Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - 1400ted
Lud, Don't bother with the DMs. Been trialling a new pair this week. Nice in the snow and in the car, very warm.
Did at least 4 attempted pirouettes in them between Greggs and the bank this morning. Only 25 yds or so.
Disgraceful, lot's of oldies use this area 'cos of the Post Office.
Ended up walking back to the car in the gutter like some sort of tramp !
AE now of an age where velcro shoes might be useful to him...easy to get off when the ankle is broken !

Ted
Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - Nsar
Freelander v. 30 inch drift.

Freellander wins!

Finally the day has dawned when the Subaru is defeated. There now follows a 1 minute BR silence, nobody post please.

Anybody in Bury, I urge you to go to the bottom end of Willow St and witness the glory that is the 3m, possibly 3.5m high snow giraffe that someone has built in their garden. It is right up there with the Sphinx and Burj Tower in terms of human achievement.

Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - midlifecrisis
The main roads around me have been cleared (sort of), but my road is a steep incline that has never seen sight nor sound of a gritter. There's still 12 inches of snow on it, so the cars are going nowhere. We walked 3 miles across fields to get to the shops as we'd run out of essentials. (Which could lead to another thread about idiots buying 15 pints of milk and 20 loaves of bread, leaving nothing for anyone else!)

I doubt the road will be passable for a good few days and there is more forecast for the weekend. I'm meant to be getting my new car on friday..think I'll leave it in the showroom.
Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - Blue {P}
Definitely 1 and 6 for me.

In my eyes they've cried wolf too many times for me to take any notice when I'm told that it should be essential journeys only!

Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - captain chaos
I stopped taking any notice ages ago
I only listen to what the voices in my head tell me
Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - Harleyman
5. I'm no sort of hero, just a truck driver; but if I don't go to work, farm animals don't get fed.

Been so bad round here that many dairy farms are having to pour milk down the drain because the tankers can't get to them. That's the farmer's living quite literally down the drain, and no they DON'T get compensation for it.

Puts it into context when you hear the city boys whining 'cos they can't find any double cream in Waitrose!

Drove back tonight from Pembrokeshire, having taken six hours to do a two-drop load that I'd normally complete in two and a half. Blissfully quiet on the main roads (there had to be an up-side) but lethal on the by-ways; forget your supermarket car park handbrake turns, try sliding a fully-loaded 8-wheeler tipper sideways, it only weighs 32 tons!

Ice Road Truckers? Pussies!! ;-)
Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - BobbyG
try sliding a fully-loaded 8-wheeler tipper sideways, it only weighs 32 tons!

Respect!!!!
Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - Harleyman
It's not actually as difficult as it sounds Bobby, and there are times when you have to do it to turn the vehicle round on a sloping farmyard; if anything slurry (cow muck) has a lower coefficient of friction than sheet ice, combine the two and it can get very interesting!

I should add that most farmers put more salt on their Sunday dinner than they put on their access roads.... what's that about stereotypes? ;-)

Edited by Harleyman on 06/01/2010 at 22:51

Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - Westpig
Ice Road Truckers? Pussies!! ;-)

That last series, where they're on roads rather than the water....blimey, rather them than me. The 'roller coaster' even looks awesome on the camera footage...which means in real life it must be terrifying.
Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - Brentus
Humph hope Mrs B is OK. By the way tonight i am going to follow what a nieghbour is doing putting a blanket over the windscreen/wipers etc. Hope it was a good whisky.
Oh she's fine thanks ! She likes ice dancing anyway........
the Dial a Ride wouldnt come down my road, it wasnt gritted.
I am sure there is a joke in there somewhere.......
Had no post for two days now I am expected an important delivery too, the passport for the rest of my life :(

Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - Nsar
Our postie in his 1 delivery since 22nd of December basically had given up, saying if you want your post, better go to the sorting office.

I think today will be the big day for bumps and bashes in the North today, a lot of drivers this morning had obviously thought "the worst is over, we can start driving fast again".

No that's still ice you're on.
The ice here in South Manchester is far worse than it has been, not only may people think the worse is over, it is actually far more dangerious than it has been.

Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - Armitage Shanks {p}
Parked my car up in Bracknell on Sunday evening;cleared a foot of snow off it this morning and started OK. Temp -16C 20 miles away! Dreadful problem getting off the drive and to the nearest road that wasn't a sheet of ice,about 400 yards, then a steady 65 - 70 mph, M3, M25 clockwise and A1 to Grantham. Snow much less in evidence North of Biggleswade and 200 yards of sheet ice to negotiate up my home road to my own drive. Not impressed with 44 mpg against maker's combined stated consumption of 55mpg but you can't have it all!
All my journeys are essential! With the price of fuel and in this weather, who goes out for "Fun"?

Edited by Armitage Shanks {p} on 07/01/2010 at 15:10

Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - Kevin
>the Dial a Ride wouldnt come down my road, it wasnt gritted.

Winter tyres needed?

tinyurl.com/yjoq9lm

Sorry AE, I'm jealous, wasn't worth it for me :-(

Kevin...
Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - helicopter
Well I managed to get SWMBO and myself to work today on time in her Yaris, the most difficult part was getting off the drive and down my road ( still 6 to 8 inches of untreated snow ) . I turned the car the other way down my road which took a bit longer but avoided the small incline which stopped the Accord yesterday.

Once we got on the treated roads it was a doddle but the back roads and car park at SWMBO's work werepart sheet ice and part thick snow , my office car park likewise.

I have now got a path to the door cleared and sanded and my local independent garage about 100 yards away has kindly allowed our staff to park in his yard. One of our lady employees whose husband is away working lives out of town on a farm.

She awoke to a power cut, shovelled for four hours to clear her access road to get here after feeding and watering her sheep and lambs and arrived at 10 .30 am. Thats dedication.......

took my lad to work in Dorking at 07:30 this morning (the trains were patchy)

Parts of the side roads were sheet ice about 4 inches thick. M25 clear, A24 dangerous in places around the foot of Box Hill.

The A3 southbound around the junction of the A244 was lethal, It looked like a giant had just brushed the cars aside into the undergrowth, many with bemused owners still sitting in them.
Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - Brentus
Just listened to a debate on local radio about all schools closing. Poor parents not been able to work having to look after kids etc. Not once can i recall having to not go to school due to weather. 54yrs old now i must have seen quite a bit in my time. Anyway the debate on the radio went on . What if the power stations were to shut down because workers couldnt get there, even the hospitals, fire stations,ambulance stations. Dare i say council offices. Schools should employ local teachers to teach local kids. Right just done the nightshift of back now for a 2-10 keep safe.
Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - the swiss tony
Schools should employ local teachers to teach local kids.

This is a big problem, not just for teachers....
I have a 25-30mile each way trip to work, fine in the summer, terrible in this weather!
I've been looking for a job nearer home, but no success as yet.....
it was -17 here last night, roads are now an ice rink.

I see a return of 1979 coming on, sadly without the punk.

Conditions are so bad I decided not to have a bath as the bathroom is freezing and a fault on our heating system (suspect a relay) means we cannot have the heating or hot water on the at the same time, there is an element in the hot water tank which is getting no power. It means the boiler has to warm up both the water tank and the heating. This is fine in normal weather but not in the current -8c.

Just told a 72 year old customer who wanted to drop a laptop off not to bother, it is too risky for him, I am looking out of the backstreet behind my bedroom window and can see cars dumped in the middle of the road because they have got stuck.

Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - madf
-18C here (North of Stoke on Trent).
Spent a fascinating 30 mins watching cars turning out of a right angle T junction - one way traffic only and up a very slight incline - maybe 7 degrees? Road was partially covered in hard packed snow.

Almost every car started off with far too many revs and spun wheels for first 20 metres.. including a large ugly Pajero.

It was so cold ice formed on inside of windscreens at 11.30am...

No problems in the 106 or yaris: I cleared the entrance to our yard and garages .. Just as well as snow is very hard today. Looks like only urgent drivers only in car parks but schools all open and main roads gritted as Staffs Moorlands expects snow in winter. Side roads are never gritted so of course range from impassible to extremely icy.

We have had only 20cms of snow so a mild winter apart from the frost..
Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - perro
>>> -18C here (North of Stoke on Trent). <<<

My Brother lives up that way - Biddulth, he managed to take the missus shopping the other day in his funny little Agila- with a sharp shove from a kind neighb.
Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - helicopter
.....took my lad to work in Dorking .....

I used to like Dorking as well but I find at my age its difficult to Dork for any length of time.....

You got the sledge with you AE ? Get onto Box Hill and go for it . Mind out for the speed trap at Mickleham Bends on the A24.....
The camera was obscured by ice and snow.

Really good snow man tho outside the italian.
Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - jbif
Altea Ego:
Your dog Fifi is in the telegraph:
tinyurl.com/yec3v2r
"A dog shows what he thinks of the weather outside his home at West Byfleet"

Errm jibif, I think you may need to brush up on your birds and bees?

Fifi is a girl. That mongrel was cocking its leg....
Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - boxsterboy
dangerous in places around the foot of Box Hill.

But a heck of a lot more dangerous toboganning down Box Hill, as I and three junior boxsters were yesterday! I reckon about a foot of snow on the hill. Great fun!
Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - henry k
Clearing your path / drive or the pavement in the UK and what do some other countries do / demand.

news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8443745.stm
Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - perro
This is where I live in Truro ~ www.flickr.com/photos/43576259@N04/4254421480
Nothing like 'upcountry' I know, but, this road would usually be fairly busy @ 4-30pm.
The vehicle coming up is a 4X4 pickup.
Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - Robin Reliant
I wish people wouldn't clear snow from their paths. I work on domestic deliveries and the places where you risk a broken neck are where the path has been cleared of snow and left a thin film of moisture to freeze into a skating rink. Much safer walking on the snow itself.

Fair enough if people have grit to put down, but nobody has.
Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - madf
We always have a bag with 12kgs of salt and grit in the garage for winter.
I was annoyed to see on TV tonight some smug Head of the National Association of Head Teachers. Reporter was pointing out the amount of schools closed, why do they need to close, why can 2 schools half a mile apart have one open and one shut?

The guy just turned round and said "when the Police and Authorities are telling you essential journeys only and as a teacher you try this and crash, who do you think is going to be sued?"

What a load of nonsense!!! I mean, I fully understand the argument that you can't have 200 local kids walking to school to find out that only 3 teachers have been able to make it in as they live further afield. Thats fair enough but why give the answer he did!!! Grrr!

Its like the schools who send the kids home as the boiler has broken down and there is no heating, so all the kids immediately go out and play in the snow!!
This is annoying me too, all my local shchools are still shut. I can't see any reason for it, keep the kids inside, maybe host assemblies if their is a teacher shortage.

I hope our taxes are not paying for teachers days off.
Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - tyro
who do you think is going to be sued?

Fear of being sued is a major reason for school closures.

The situation is ridiculous of course, but if courts keep making stupid awards to litigious people, schools are going to close.

In parts of the USA, I believe that they have (or had) regulations that stipulated that school days missed because of bad weather had to be made up in the holidays or on Saturdays. That would concentrate the mind wonderfully!
>>Its like the schools who send the kids home as the boiler has broken down and there is no heating, so all the kids immediately go out and play in the snow!!

you mean you never knew how to sabotage the classroom boiler? Oil fired ones were great, you used to stuff a sweaty football sock in the air intake outside, and the incomplete combustion would fill the classroom with black oily soot stuff. result, next morning your hated classroom of choice was out of action.
How much? - Kevin
My local MP was apparently snowed under :-O with complaints from constituents about the lack of gritting in Basingstoke during the snowfall before Christmas that left 2000 people stranded.

Her response has been a repeat of that used by the County Council. Basically that the Council is strapped for cash and that other "front-line" services would suffer if they wasted money on preparing for bad weather.

The Federation of Small Business today gave an estimate (no doubt inflated) that transport problems are costing UK plc. approx £1B per day through lost sales, lost production, export delays and absenteeism.

Go figure.

Kevin...
How much? - ifithelps
Our education system is turning out a generation of youngsters, many of whom can barely read or write.

The solution is obvious, shut the schools for six weeks and use the money to buy some more grit and snow ploughs.

As regards the teachers, if they still want to draw a salary, they should be made to report to their local council depot for snow clearing duties.

Not as daft as it sounds, since in most parts of the country, both functions - schools and gritting - are carried out by the same local authority.

How much? - b308
Thats not a bad idea, when I worked in a bank if the weather was really bad you reported to your local branch, though I never had to... I know one branch which was in commuting distance from one of the head offices got mobbed by HO staff one day 'cause they couldn't get into their own office!

I agree with the earlier post as well, the law needs to be changed so that as long as the school have gone to reasonable lengths, such as clearing snow or ice from paths, they will not be held liable for any injuries caused if the kids start messing around.
How much? - daveyjp
It's not only the UK where schools are closed. My wife's HQ is in the US mid west. They have metres of snow every year, but the schools are closed for the rest of this week.

Daughter's nursery was only closed for a day - first time in 14 years apparently. The school it's attached to has been open throughout.

Fear of being sued is a lame excuse - local authorities have public liability insurance and they are very good at defending claims.

Our local TV featured the highest school in England - 1100 feet above sea level and snow in May is not uncommon. It was open.
How much? - tyro
>>I agree with the earlier post as well, the law needs to be changed so that as long as the school have gone to reasonable lengths, such as clearing snow or ice from paths, they will not be held liable for any injuries caused if the kids start messing around.

That reminds me of the situation in our local high school a few years ago. The janitor couldn't find anything about clearing snow in his contract, so he watched as female teachers set about trying to clear snow from paths.

The situation in our local high school at the moment is interesting. The guys who have the contracts for driving the school buses decide whether or not they will take the buses out. They err on the side of caution, because they don't like the thought of being responsible for what might happen to other people's children.

It used to be that when the buses didn't run, the school remained open. About half the pupils were within walking distance. The school board, including parents, took a decision a few years ago that if only half the kids could come in, the school should shut. There was a feeling that it was unfair to keep the school open, because those that were not able to get in missed lessons, fell behind, and hence were disadvantaged. Teachers also found it frustrating having half the class in an exam class covering material and the other half missing out.

The result is that the school is often closed when all the roads are passable.
How much? - b308
Surey in these days of the 'net it would be possible to contact those who couldn't get in and set them something to do?!
How much? - tyro
>>Surely in these days of the 'net it would be possible to contact those who couldn't get in and set them something to do?!

Good teachers are already doing it - not necessarily using the internet, though. Other teachers, however . . .
How much? - Pugugly
Overheard a conversation in a shop, obviously two teachers - seems if schools are shut for more than 3 days they're expected to make the time up in the Easter break. A close relative had to stay on for seven hours after his normal finishing time to look after kids who had not been able to get home as the buses stopped running - unpaid - My theory is stop moaning and get on with it, a few days off school isn't going to cause a recession.
How much? - deepwith
The taxi driver who takes my son + three other lads to college arrived several hours late home on Tuesday due to the conditions on the roads - he told us, rightly, that he was unlikely to attempt the journey the following day. Heaven knows what time he got back to base near the college. The (6th form type) College has been closed since but all students have been sent work via their College email - they have access to their computer work on the College site.

Closure of schools is seldom taken lightly by heads. If you are a small, well behaved school, probably junior, where they can merge classes and still manage control and education - then the school will not close. If you are a large comprehensive in a difficult area, usually where the pupils are all local but the staff are not, then 15% of staff who managed to get in cannot safely managed 1,600 pupils (having allowed for the 200 who have bunked off).

How much? - ijws15
Remember about 12 years ago my son slipped on ice in the school grounds at 0830 before they had salted. Broke his wrist.

Largely his fault as he admitted they were "sliding".

Headmasters main concern for weeks was that we were going to sue ! ! !
How much? - Rattle
Same thing happened to me but not in snow. About 6 months earlier they had resurficed the playground the problem is they replaced the drain grids with some really cheap ones. One of them cracked as I walked over one, I leg fell in the hole and I was badly injured. We didn't sue but the head teacher got he contractor to replace all the grids with better quality ones.

How much? - ijws15
The issue on schools is simple

Children should live within walking distance (with one exception - county school and aloocated house) I always did. Parents to choose shools a long way from home should think about this.

Then children will allways make it to school - by walking

Teachers should also live close to their school - so they can walk.

If you choose to live a long way from your place of work it is your responsiblity to get there.
BTW I commute 30 miles and have got in every day - shovel and warm clothes in boot for a week.

How much? - Rattle
I live in a suburb and I have lots of primary schools near me (2 of them are 2 minute walk away) and both schools have been shut this week, think they opened today. Most the teachers live in the next suburb down which is 2.5 miles away, the pupils mostly live local, there is no reason at all city schools should close.

How much? - Pugugly
Rattle the teachers live away from their schools and can't get there for the reasons you've given in previous posts, dodgy roads, pavements and unreliable public transport.
How much? - Pugugly
Teachers should also live close to their school - so they can walk.

Maybe in a Stalanist Utopia - what about partners that travel the same distance to their job in opposite directions ?

I know we'll build concrete tower blocks so kids and teachers can live there together.

The idea might work in an urban area what about rural areas ? There would be so much demand for housing within walking distances of schools that no-one would be able to afford to buy them.

Get over it the schools are closed because of exceptional circumstances - it's only a few days at most meanwhile kids are getting real world experiences of sledging and throwing snow-balls.
How much? - rtj70
I think the country should spend several billion in case we get a winter like this again in the next few years ;-) Said tongue on cheek.

This is exceptional/rare weather and may never happen again for decades. Or it might be more common and then the country will need to deal with it appropriately, i.e. spend money.
How much? - FotheringtonThomas
Get over it the schools are closed because of exceptional circumstances

I do not agree with this statement, and the "get over it" is downright insulting, and inflammatory.

Schools local to here have closed due to "adverse weather". The majority who could get their children looked after elsewhere has gone to *work*. Many others have walked or driven to sledge and play in the snow. I have myself driven on the roads around and about two schools closed in this locality. It is now and was not on the second closure day difficult to drive. It's not good enough. A letter of complaint to the Chairman of the Board of Goveners will be sent directly.
How much? - Pugugly
Not half as insulting to teachers and professionals which make schools work - how insulting is it that professionals should be expected to live where they're told. Governess will be more interested than staff in being risk-averse and avoiding litigation than keeping schools open in exceptional adverse weather.
How much? - Rattle
There is logic in it though, if people live closer to work then ti will solve a lot of traffic problems. Easier said than done in a lot of cases. It was tried with places like Milton Keynes and Warrington but it didn't really work.
How much? - Pugugly
It would solve some problems Rattle - but people still have freedom of choice as to where they live in this country, hell of a thing if you needed a "chit" from local or national government to live outside the radius of some bureaucrat's pencil mark on a map.
How much? - Rattle
But is all about choices,. I not saying make any laws or anything like that. I mean give people incentives to work close to where they live. It is far easier said than done in todays over complicated work place environment though.
How much? - daveyjp
"I mean give people incentives to work close to where they live"

What more incentive is there than not having to spend hours every week sat in a car going nowhere in rush hour or on a packed bus or train?

6 years ago my wife was given the job of relocating their business. It was 8 miles from home, it's now 1.5 - I wonder how that happened?!

Edited by daveyjp on 08/01/2010 at 14:02

how insulting is it that professionals should be expected to live where they're told.

I have no such expectations. I do however have expectations that staff - and not just teachers - will get on with their work when it is possible to do so - and it is and has been possible to both drive and walk locally within at least a 10-mile radius, as the vast majority are indeed doing, and have been doing.
Governess will be more interested than staff in being risk-averse and avoiding
litigation than keeping schools open in exceptional adverse weather.

Staff should do the flippin' work. They have not been doing so, when they could have. It is just not good enough. The Governers will be told this - and it should noted that litigation in these circumstances would be extremely difficult, and that in any case the LEA is insured.

The local schools mentioned above haven't been doing a proper job. It's quite disgraceful. I strongly urge anyone who feels that their school has also been slack to write to the COTBOG.
How much? - bathtub tom
>>Teachers should also live close to their school - so they can walk.

I'm sure you wouldn't want to live near the school SWMBO worked at. We certainly didn't

If teachers had to report to their nearest local school, ours could end up with more staff than pupils. ;>)

Edited by bathtub tom {p} on 08/01/2010 at 14:09

How much? - deepwith
ljw15,

>>Teachers should also live close

Then how exactly would you staff schools in un-desirable areas? I taught in Stockwell/Brixton during the time of the riots (yes, those were my pupils you saw on the news) - I loved teaching there - but would not have lived there. Because I taught there, why should my husband have to live nearby -he worked in Shepherd's Bush? Would you bring up your children there? when the favourite method of mugging at that time was to slash the face of children in buggies so their mother would hand over valuables? I think not.

And Yes, I did walk there when the snow fell in '79 because public transport did not run but many other staff could not make it and the school did close for a day. In '81 I also walked from the school I was then in, in Streatham, home as public transport did not run. I have to say, it was surreally beautiful walking through the silence of London in the snow, but very cold! As with PU's relative, I had also spent several extra hours making warm drinks and snacks for a gaggle of pupils who could not get home/parents could not get home.

** having seen PU's post - would mention that we are with the little darlings all day - are we not entitled to some private life?

Edited by deepwith on 08/01/2010 at 13:15

How much? - Rattle
Still got no post :( I feel like going down to the sorting office and inserting a large garden gnome in then :(

Anybody got a spare Austin 1100 to complete the scene? Hopefully in red.
How much? - perro
scuse if this has already had a mench, but another reason sooooooo many skools have closed is because of attendance figures not being met - if they opened.
scuse if this has already had a mench but another reason sooooooo many skools have
closed is because of attendance figures not being met - if they opened.

Attendance figures are not affected if there's "good reason".
How much? - bathtub tom
>>Still got no post

Anyone's postie still wearing shorts?
How much? - the swiss tony

I haven't seen a postie all week - that said I haven't seen any gritter lorries either......
How much? - perro
>>> Anyone's postie still wearing shorts? <<<

Er, what's a postie ... or a dustman come to that!!
How much? - Robin Reliant

Yes, one of ours is always in shorts no matter what the weather.
How much? - Dynamic Dave

tinyurl.com/y94m4ms

tinyurl.com/ydhv7na
How much? - perro
>>> Attendance figures are not affected if there's "good reason". <<<

okey dokey, just something I heard on the wireless.
How much? - pda
Could it be that people are more resentful over the schools attitude to closing, because of the problems parents have who want to take their children out of school for a week to go on holiday out of season?

This causes very real problems for those who can't afford high season prices, yet it seems not to matter when the boot is on the other foot and the school wants to protect it's financial situation regarding being sued.

Pat
How much? - Rattle
Local road near me shut by the police most likely to be an ancident :(
How much? - Harleyman
The issue on schools is simple
Children should live within walking distance (with one exception - county school and aloocated house)
>>

I take it you live in an urban area. Come out here to the Welsh countryside, where people still live and work in agriculture, and count the former local schools that are now fancy houses for second-homers, usually closed aganst the wishes of the local community; see also post office, pub, shop etc.

What's your logical progression of that suggestion? Ban people who live more than a brisk walk away from having children?
Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - Avant
"Governess will be more interested than staff in being risk-averse...." (PU, above)

Brilliant - PU has just solved the problem: a resident teacher in every house. :)

No, I didn't have a governess either, although the Queen did.
Snow - Essential journeys only Vol 2. - Pugugly
A Freudian slip - I had spotted it and decided to leave it !