1.3 Multijet problem with unwanted acceleration - Grey Punto
I wonder if anybody can shed light on this problem.I am the owner of a Grande Punto 1.3 multijet diesel car.I am perfectly satisfied with every aspect of it apart from one thing.When the engine is cold and I take my foot off the accelerator pedal it slows down at first and then picks up momentum so that I am forced to brake.Then it returns to normal for awhile until the next time I have to sloe down.It doesn`t do it every time but often enough to be a problem.When it warms up there isn`t a problem.I took it back to Fiat today and the mechanic tried to tell me that diesel cars can do this sometimes.Well,I have a diesel van and it is o.k.So my question is-If you take your foot off the accelerator pedal should a car not slow down? the answer to me is obviously -YES!!!!The only thing I can think of doing if he [as I expect]tells me it`s o.k. is to ask for a test drive of another car with the same engine to see if it does the same thing.I would appreciate any input on this topic.

Edited by Pugugly on 05/01/2010 at 17:50

problem with unwanted acceleration - Altea Ego
he is right, some diesel cars do feel like this. Its because it has a lot of torque at low revs, and the engine management tries to prevent the car from stalling.

I first felt this effect with a CR diesel focus. Its a feature of several common rail diesels. Just get used to it and use the brakes.
problem with unwanted acceleration - WorkshopTech
I have driven 1.3MJ engined cars and not noticed this. Depends how pronounced it is. What happens if you dip the clutch, do the engine revs rise?
problem with unwanted acceleration - cheddar
It may have a clutch pedal position switch/sensor that needs adjusting.
1.3 Multijet problem with unwanted acceleration - sandy56
I dont know the FIAT but this is WRONG.

Take it back to Fiat and insist this is a significant fault and needs fixing.
1.3 Multijet problem with unwanted acceleration - Altea Ego
its normal the revs are dipping below stall point

try changing down a gear
1.3 Multijet problem with unwanted acceleration - WorkshopTech
I think I'd have to drive the car to say conclusively one way or the other. I've probably driven 50+ cars with the MJ engine and not noticed it, but if you are slowing right down in a high gear then you may feel something like what youre describing.
1.3 Multijet problem with unwanted acceleration - oilrag
Grey Punto,
What are the engine revs when it speeds up and what gear are you in?