09 2.0d Front Tow Ball - aviator
I intend to buy a new (and economical) vehicle. The vehicle will pull a trailer loaded at no more than 1000kg.
Would it be a simple matter to fit a tow ball on the front of the Patriot in order to make moving trailers in restricted areas a little easier ?
I might also like to fit a 12V winch.
Which ever new vehicle that I buy, it is important to me that moving trailers in confined spaces and retrieving boats from water, usully a slipway, is within the vehicle's capability.
09 2.0d Front Tow Ball - gordonbennet
The only times i've ever seen front towballs being truly useful was on a 4x4 manoeuvering mobile homes into place, and similar on trucks when moving an A frame trailer, which are very difficult at the best of times.
My SWB Landcruiser had surprisingly good turning circle and i could get most trailers anywhere with it only having a normal rear towbar.

I don't suppose it would be too hard to get someone to make something similar to a towbar for the front out of simple angle and box section, bolted to the bumper mounts...it won't ever be used on the road as a towbar so construction/type approval regs shouldn't come into it.

I think i'd want a quick release towball fitting though, could be nasty jutting out from the front bumber permanently.
09 2.0d Front Tow Ball - Altea Ego
I think i'd want a quick release towball fitting though, could be nasty jutting out from the front bumber permanently.

And would be illegal.
09 2.0d Front Tow Ball - jc2
Very useful-particularly if offset so you can see up the side of whatever you're pushing into place and surely only illegal if it has sharp edges-same applies to rear mounted ones.
09 2.0d Front Tow Ball - MerlinTec
Patriot is not a vehicle for this. You need a proper 4x4. Patriot is only a Golf engine and 9.000 miles service compared to the golf at up to 20.000 and the golf has better fuel economy but you wouldn't use a golf to pull trailers on slip ways.