97 2.8 Oil change at National - 5W30 or 10w40? - VR6
Just checked my oil and its looking a bit black, so I looked at National Tyres website for a oil & filter change. £30 for up to 7l of oil.

They recommend 5W40 Castol Edge Fully Synthetic, but I usually use 10W40 semi-synth. Which would you recommend? I've not heard of the 'Edge' stuff before.

Engine milage is not known for sure, but car has done 160k, and estimated engine has done 80-90k. Its only been doing about 8k/yr for the last 2 years, but used to do 20k+/yr for the 4 years previously.

Also, I get a 'tappety' noise on start up for a few seconds if the car has been standing for a couple of days.

Edited by VR6 on 31/12/2009 at 15:02

97 2.8 Oil change at National - 5W30 or 10w40? - quizman
Castrol Edge oil is a good oil which retails for about £40 for 4 litres. So how National can do an oil and filter change for £30 beats me.

Some will say that if you have used semi synthetic for 90,000 miles you should continue. But I don't think using full synthetic will harm your car, I have started using synthetic in my Landrover with no ill effects.

I wouldn't worry about the tappety noise, the Castrol might cure it.
97 2.8 Oil change at National - 5W30 or 10w40? - dimdip
Some people (me included) find that changing from semi- to fully-synth causes oil leaks from seals. Also, with a higher mileage engine, it might be advantageous to stay with the slightly higher viscosity anyway.

With regards to the noisy hydraulic valve lifters, I think a little noise on startup after a period of disuse is to be expected. The guys on the performance sites recommend using up to a litre of cheap ATF in with the oil for up to a couple of hundred miles before an oil change to remove deposits from the oil system, and report good results.
I would definately NOT put a litre of ATF in my engine. If I wanted to clean the inside of the engine I would use Forte oil flush, which is put into the oil and run the engine for ten minutes as instructed.

I am inclined to agree with dimdip's first paragraph, maybe you should stick to what you have been using.
Well, I defiantly do not want an oil leak, so I will go for the 10W40. I may run some Forte cleaner before I have the change carried out.
97 2.8 Oil change at National - 5W30 or 10w40? - dimdip
I would definately NOT put a litre of ATF in my engine. If I wanted
to clean the inside of the engine I would use Forte oil flush which is
put into the oil and run the engine for ten minutes as instructed.

Since it's an older engine, I understand there's a risk with using flushes of mobilising gunk, and subsequently having it block small oilways? I haven't read into it in depth, but think the ATF trick is reckoned to be a more gentle clean, and particularly good for quietening noisy hydraulic tappets. If it was my VR6, I wouldn't be using the oil flush! :-)
OK, but putting in 1 litre of thin ATF would dilute the oil by 25%. Surely this cannot be good for the car for 200 miles?

I've used oil flush stuff in old tractors and cars, I've never had the problems which you mention. The new oil stays clean quite a bit longer.

97 2.8 Oil change at National - 5W30 or 10w40? - Halmer
Edge 5W-30 or Magnatec 10W-40 A3/B3 are recommended for this vehicle by Castrol.

I've just seen the same thing on the Castrol website too. I'll put in 10W40 as recommended. Its due for a service in May anyway, so the oil wont be in there for too long, and I'll ask my mechanic about flushing it at service time.
5W30 or10W40 - baspom1
stick to 10w 40 do not flush you have a naturally formed seal in piston ring groves to remove even partially without new rings will be disastrous to your oil consumption you could add a couple of cans of STP if you have to add more than 1/2 litre between oil changes change your oil+filter now run vehicle for 6000 miles change oil +filter again but add STP to this fill up this time you will i assure you be pleased with the results all will have improved i have done this to my VR6 recommend this 100% on high revving worn engine's of any type tappet noise on start up goes away quickly should improve on carrying out these instructions (mechanic garage prop. 50+years exp. happy new year everybody