2001 1.9TDi Heater Blower resistor pack - bravewolf
My heater blower has been deteriorating for a while in terms of how much air it delivers. It lost any flow at settings 1 and 2 initially but 3 and 4 worked, now only setting 4 works! I suspect the resistor pack is faulty but do not know where it is. Any suggestions gratefully received along with any useful tips on how to replace it?

I have been quoted £20 plus £10 delivery and £4.50 VAT from online breakers yard (£34.50 total) for a used replacement with 30 day guarantee, this seems excessive! If anyone has a better alternative for parts I would also appreciate advice.

Thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/12/2009 at 21:44

20 1.9 Heater Blower resistor pack - bravewolf
Model is 2001 1.9 TDi - Ford Galaxy. (sorry-not obvious from initial thread!)

{Corrected}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 30/12/2009 at 21:45

20 1.9 Heater Blower resistor pack - percy
Don't know for certain about the Galaxy but most of these resistor packs are in the airstream of the blower (so they don't get too hot) and are usually near the blower.
Good luck!
Thanks Percy

I have now successfully located and removed the old resistor pack, it couldn't be simpler once you find out how (thanks to advice on ford galaxy owners forum).

If you drop the glovebox down and remove the cover at the top you get access to the blower unit which has the resistor pack attached to the left side by a single srew (ford type - not flat or philips!). Initially it looks like a green connector onto the blower unit (sealed) but the green connector is actually part of the resistor unit and is removeable. If you have climate control the resistor pack will be red.

Care should be taken when getting replacement parts as the part number needs to be correct or you will get odd symptoms after replacing. Mine had the suffix "BD" but apparently Ford are capable of mis-identifying and incorrectly supplying one with "RC"!

As this appears to be a relatively common fault I have added my own reply for future reference should anyone have similar problems to myself.
20 1.9 Heater Blower resistor pack - elekie&a/c doctor
Glad you got it sorted.May be a good idea to get the pollen filter replaced(bit of a mission on these)These often get neglected due to poor access and can cause reduced airflow over the resistor.Also the part may be cheaper from a VW dealer(same as Sharan/Alhambra variants).Should have vw part # stamped on it.hth
Ford - part number - 95NW 18B647 BD - £32 (new)
VW - part number - 7MO 959 263 G - £25 (new)
SEAT - No parts supplier in my area

online breakers quotes - range between £24-£35 for used parts and 30 day guarantee.

*MAKE SURE YOU REPLACE THE PART NUMBER REMOVED WITH THE SAME PART NUMBER*

Thanks for info on pollen filter, as it happens I cleaned mine out a while back when I had to repair the wiper linkage (another common Galaxy problem) as it sits underneath the linkage.
20 1.9 Heater Blower resistor pack - billyboy7298

Hi all, just to add to the posts here, I just had to buy a new one from ford, they are known as REGULATOR ASSEMBLY MANUAL AIR CONDITIONING, at a cost of £34,- just for future reference, and as bravewolf has noted previously that part No is CORRECT, thanks. billyboy7298.

20 1.9 Heater Blower resistor pack - dgdynamo

Hi I have the same issue you describe and am taking your advice on how to replace the resistor block but I am having difficulty dropping the glovebox !. Are there any tricks in doing this?

Thanks,

dgdynamo.

20 1.9 Heater Blower resistor pack - Richaber

Hi team, sorry for dragging this into 2016. I had the problem of fan only working on 3 and 4 but AC light only working on 1 and 2. Heater resistor is suffix G.

Dealer sold me suffix E, telling me it was later version...

Now fan seems to work on all speeds but AC light only comes on fan No1.

So is the resistor they sold me a duff or do I need the Suffix G?

Thanks Rich.

2001 1.9TDi Heater Blower resistor pack - Railroad.

It's worth checking but these resistors often fail because the thermal fuse on them blows. This in turn is usually due to the heater motor itself becoming stiff to rotate. You may need to replace the motor, but you could save the cost of the resistor by soldering on a new fuse for just a few pence from Maplins or somewhere similar.

2001 1.9TDi Heater Blower resistor pack - elekie&a/c doctor
This is a Vw part..So it may be an idea to check the original part no. At a Vw dealer.The resistor needs to be working correctly on all speeds for the ac to work .(if indeed it does work,which is pretty rare on these)
2001 1.9TDi Heater Blower resistor pack - Richaber

Thanks for that, so is the G and E critical? Any idea what value resistance I should get between pins.

2001 1.9TDi Heater Blower resistor pack - elekie&a/c doctor
Usually with Vw parts,the higher the letter,the later the part.So it looks like you may have been sold an earlier spec part.As to the resistances,too complicated to work it out,and I don,have the correct values .Also the heater switch uses a combination of the resistances to give the desired fan speed.
2001 1.9TDi Heater Blower resistor pack - SUKOEPOXY

I believe you can find out what you need, such as epoxy floor coating,floor paint,garage floor coatings and concrete floor paint, more hot sale products you can find from www.sukoepoxyfloor.com

2001 1.9TDi Heater Blower resistor pack - Richaber

For the sake of completeness. The green connector heater resistor suffix G is the correct and only one that works in the front blower manual air con. The blue connector suffix E is for the rear blower 3 speed. I'm sorry, I forgot to measure the resistance values on the new resistor.