99 2.0 HDi Not starting - ianjoh
Hello to all.
Nothing intermittant about this one, the dash board lights up as normal except for an extra yellow light with a key symbol and the display reading 'ignition fault' when cranking.
I suspect the ecu is no longer programmed to the key (i have tried another key), there is power and data on the key reader on the ignition barrel and the ecu knows a key is in the ignition when the door is opened.
Has anyone any suggestions that I could try before in gets dragged off to a main dealer for a plug in, (this would be a last resort!).
Thanks
Ian
99 2.0 HDi Not starting - steve_earwig
How do you know that there's data on the receiver aerial? I presume both key have the transponder chip in them, so it's something on the car. I suppose you could try another aerial, they're about 20 quid.
Thanks for the reply. Its not the remote control, that works ok as i can lock the doors, the problem is with the immobiliser on the key itself thst is not being recognised. I put a 'scope on the data lines and it seems to be communicating with the ecu.
Ian
Just read on another forum that it may be the inertia switch under the bonnet - does anyone know where this is located or what it looks like?
Open bonnet, switch on r/h suspension turret as you stand in front of it.
I should add, they don't all have them.
99 2.0 HDi Not starting - Dr Dave
I can't for the life of me see it being the inertia switch - the yellow key indicates a coding/immobilser fault.
Me neither but it can't hurt to look. I'm fairly sure that's either the transponder aerial around the barrel or the receiver itself.

Edited by steve_earwig on 03/01/2010 at 16:04

Hi and thank you for for replies.
The inertia switch was ok so I resigned to towing it into the dealers for a reprogram, however, whilst under tow I switched the ignition on to put the window up and noticed the immobiliser light was out, gave it a try and it started! But the rev counter was all over the place even tho the engine was steady, but it did cut out a few times before driving it home.
It aint an immobiliser fault as such and I suspect salt and damp is having an effect. When time and weather allow I will have a look at the multi-pin connector just behind the rad.
Any suggestions appriciated!
Ian