01 2.0 Blown turbo? - edharvey17
Hi, hoping someone can help me - driving along the other day about 60mph and felt a slight loss of power, then about half a mile later a much bigger loss, plenty of smoke and rattling then had to pull over. The engine started again after a few turns but plenty of smoke so called to get towed. The guy said it's probably the turbo blown - does this sound right?

Several garages have quoted about £900 - £1100 for the job and as it's outside my house I would need to get the car to them. Not sure of anyone near Stow on the Wold that can check it over for me outside my house though...

I'm not sure about the problem but if it is the turbo and it is that cost I'll probably sell on ebay or something and get amore reliable newer car.

Has anyone else had similar problems - it's only done 78K miles?

Thanks
01 2.0 Blown turbo? - WorkshopTech
Could be blown, yes, but hard to do a definitive diagnosis without seeing the car. How much oil is in the sump? Does the engine itself sound OK?
Quoted cost sounds is on the high side, but it really depends upon how much damage there is.
Sorry I really don't know much about cars!! Not sure on how much oil is in it, there was no water or leaking that I could see from anywhere - the engine rattles when it is on but just a bit concerned about starting it up in case any more damage occurs....Plenty of smoke out the exhaust on start up too.

We've recently moved to Stow and so have no knowledge of local garages and both I've called are quoting that much.

Are there any mobile mechanics that might be able to have a look at it where it is as I would probably sell it if it is going to cost that much (and will cost to get it towed to a garage) - only bought if for £1700 5 months ago (2001 Y Reg, 78K)
01 2.0 Blown turbo? - nottsruss
My 2.0 tdci went at 200k , loss of power and white smoke from exhaust.RAC advised me impeller shaft had sheared , even though engine would start very adviseable not to as some times you cannot turn engine off as it revs so high and sucks all the oil back up...!!! have to engage gear to stall. If you remover turbo inlet duct and put finger in housing to see if you can turn impeller easy.Awkward replace as inlet manifold to be removed from underneat.I bought recon turbo and got mechanic to do at total of £650 but heard of some dealerships at £1100.
01 2.0 Blown turbo? - bathtub tom
>>Sorry I really don't know much about cars!! Not sure on how much oil is in it

>>If you remover turbo inlet duct and put finger in housing to see if you can turn impeller easy

I doubt it as it seems the OP is unable to even check the dipstick!
Very nice bathtub tom - on the otherhand maybe it's because I am at work and the car at present is sat on my drive - haven't had the chance to check it today due to the fact I leave the house at 6am.
.*******
01 2.0 Blown turbo? - bathtub tom
Sorry if you feel offended, but if your car's miles away then you're probably unable to check the oil.
01 2.0 Blown turbo? - piston power
If you do manage to stick your fingers in do make sure the engine is switched off just incase the fan does spin and your fingers will be shorter!
01 2.0 Blown turbo? - TurboD
These tow-people love their instant diagnostics!. Why on earth do Ford invest in so much technology when they could just ask a tow guy?. Beats me too.
I found diesel turbos to run for at least 140K- even more, bu that is subject to proer oil changes and no abuse.
Smoke on a diesel is either blue or black ( white if head gasket/cracked head). The turbo don't 'go' anywhere. The seals break down , or the bearing wear out /shatter. Worse cenario is the bades come off. Unlikely to happen to the Mondy. Bearing wear usually will result in a noise- whirring/ticking. Seal wear will how by burning oil. Blue is oil, black is diesel.
Which do you have?
Recon turbos are availbe for all cars/vans at a - fairly high price- £500- but then need fitting. Sadly, it is the downside of having a car that does a lot to the gallon. Also Mondys lose thier value about the same as Ladas in the 70s , so the repair bill is higher than the value.
Sad really, as the car will probably last for at least five or six more years, or more.
Your 'new' car may develop other nasty repairs too. If you are happy with the car , stick with it, otherwise , ditch and get a petrol car.
01 2.0 Blown turbo? - nottsruss
I would prefer a practical test to a theory , our C-max went into Ford main dealer for fault diagnostic 5 days later and 100 pages showing Ford couldnt resolve problem , a roadside guy has no incentive to make money just get you back rolling again , scanners and diagonostic just away to print money... to many sensors that can be so miss leading.