Hit a Badger!! - fredthefifth
Hi All,

Last night, 40mph, jumped right out in front of me. Killed the poor thing outright and I really feel bad about it, but it has also cracked the bottom of the bumper/spoiler on my 1 year old SAAB Aero.

Going to nip down a local body shop and hoping they will do a repair for not too much, but if it needs a whole new bumper I suspect it will be an insurance job even with my excess of £400.

Just wondering, should I be a good boy and inform my insurance company, or wait till I have seen the body shop?

Regards.
FTF

Hit a Badger!! - Mapmaker
Well done!

Yummy. Badger pork.

Bad luck on the damage though.
Hit a Badger!! - mike hannon
Yes badger pork does taste yummy. I was told never to talk about it but I'm out of the country now anyway.
When I was younger there was an annual badger feast in a south Somerset village near where I lived. The local luxury product was world famous and also linked with these animals, but - no more clues.
There certainly are too many of the darn things in the UK now - the legacy of thoughtless 'protection'. As well as the TB link they can do incredible crop damage - ask any arable farmer. But if you make a fuss about it these days you probably get a petrol bomb through your window, courtesy of the cuddly bunny nutters.
Hit a Badger!! - ifithelps
... Killed the poor thing outright and I really feel bad about it...

I shouldn't - there's no shortage of these flea-ridden vermin and they are strongly linked to tuberculosis in cattle.

Can't see any point in telling the insurance company unless you are going to claim.

There's unlikely to be any third party involvement given that the other party is: a) a wild animal, and b) dead.

Bumper repair on my Focus after hitting a dog was about £300, so yours might come in under the excess.

Bit of bad luck, but at least you didn't lose control, park the Saab in the ditch or smash into something coming the other way.

Hit a Badger!! - njgleeds
It wasn't Phil, was it?
Hit a Badger!! - bell boy
Just wondering, should I be a good boy and inform my insurance company, or wait till I have seen the body shop?
>
>>> definately a no no
Hit a Badger!! - tiredeyes
tiny.cc/S4w33
phil the badger
It wasn't Phil was it?

lol
Hit a Badger!! - rtj70
Looks like a Badger Badger Badger remix.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyixC9NsLI
Hit a Badger!! - DP
There's unlikely to be any third party involvement given that the other party is: a)
a wild animal and b) dead.

Now cleaning the coffee off my keyboard. lol! :-)
Hit a Badger!! - ifithelps
...Now cleaning the coffee off my keyboard. lol! :-)...

Cheers, DP, we aim to amuse, although the odd one of late has fallen at the mods' hurdle. :)
Hit a Badger!! - frazerjp
Whilst driving home on the A40 in Stokenchurch last night, a what looks like a squirral sized creature run across in front of me then stopped, I obviously had no time to stop in time as it just went underneath the car heard a small thump, but after going over it & looked in my rear-view mirror it still stood at the same spot & then ran to the grass off the road. Hmm it obviously wasn't injured me thinks.
Hit a Badger!! - bell boy
it probably thought you were nuts frazerjp
Hit a Badger!! - pmh3
>>> Hit a Badger!!<<<

you used a capital letter - I thought that I was going tor read about the demise of an "Apprentice" contestant.

Sad ;)
Hit a Badger!! - perro
There's a bloke down ere on the Bodmin Moor who eats road kill so you could give it a try and lemme know how you get on.
I would suggest it is hung for a couple of weeks - just in time for Xmas, it'll make a change from Turkey again!

Yes, I saw that too, good luck to him, but I'll give it a miss if you don't mind!!

Thanks for the other comments. I do appreciate that they are considered vermin and the TB aspect, but they are protected aren't they?? And anyway i would prefer to leave the killing to those who do it properly.

I see what the body shop suggests - I hoping for less than £300 though!

All the best.
FTF
Hit a Badger!! - CGNorwich

Not sure about badger but did pick up a freshly killed roe deer a few year's back which was excellent. Pheasants are most acceptable too and often killed by traffic . Picked up one in October with a broken wing and wrung its neck. Drove through a flock of red partridge this morning but missed the lot
Hit a Badger!! - Martin Devon
Drove through a flock of red partridge this morning but missed the lot

Covey of I do believe.

Sorry.
Hit a Badger!! - teabelly
Best to kill it outright and quickly rather than having it suffer. It's a badger. There's loads of them. If they won't learn the green cross code then more fool them!

If the damage isn't that bad I'd just tape it up as it is highly likely another one will step out in front of you. Save the money and fix all the road kill related damage in one go when you want to sell the car :-)

Hit a Badger!! - Harleyman
If they won't learn the green cross code then more fool
them!

You'd think they'd know it by now, they've been teaching it for long enough....... ;-)

tinyurl.com/yas3qyd
Hit a Badger!! - Dynamic Dave
If the damage isn't that bad I'd just tape it up

If you take it to a vet, he might put some stitches in it for you ;o)
Hit a Badger!! - JH
Well done Fred, one fewer of the darn things. Shame about the body damage, I hope it's sorted ok.

JH
Hit a Badger!! - CGNorwich
"Well done Fred, one fewer of the darn things. "

Strangely enough that's what badgers say when they they manage to cause a crash. :-)
Hit a Badger!! - old crocks
I'd wait.

A couple of years ago I damaged the front bumper on my Focus when I hit a raised manhole hidden in undergrowth while doing a three point turn in a narrow country lane.

I hadn't claimed for anything for about fifteen years and having protected NCB I decided to go through the insurance. I wish I hadn't. The repair was done alright but at the next renewal they wanted 50% more. The percentage NCB was protected but they put the basic premium up 50% because I had had an accident!

The cost to the Insurance Company was £460 for new bumper, spray to match, new rubber strip along the bottom of it, new fog lamp, new lower rad grille, straighten a few brackets and a courtesy car. If I had had to pay I would have saved on a few parts and probably parted with a total of about £300.

I'm sure your SAAB costs will be higher but with a £400 excess I don't think it will be worth claiming in the long term.
Hit a Badger!! - David Horn
Wait. Don't forget that the insurance company will claw the money back from you anyway in increased premiums.

A lot of badgers dead on the lanes round my way, personally suspect the farmers are poisoning them and dumping the corpses in the road to look like accidents. Doesn't really bother me, but they stink for weeks.
>>... suspect the farmers are poisoning them and dumping the corpses in the road to look like accidents.

Ummmm, could be nasty for those that take road kill home for the plate!!!
Hit a Badger!! - Altea Ego
I chased a rabit down the road in deepest darkest herefordshire last night.. I swear the damn thing darted left and right in front of me at 20mph for fully 100 yards. It would not leap t the side of the road, so i had to judge the moment to drive over it hoping it would pass underneath.

Hit a Badger!! - Martin Devon
>>It would not leap t the side of the road so i had to judge the moment to drive over it hoping it would pass underneath.

Underpass eh! Nice link
Thanks for advice. I will wait and what the body shop quotes for a private repair.
FTF
Hit a Badger!! - jag

i like it, "hit a badger and had to visit the body shop " jag.
Hit a Badger!! - Manatee
jumped right out in front of me.

Round here they stump across the roads at a steady pace, and deviate for nothing. That's about all you can say for them, they don't freeze or dart about unpredictably like rabbits or pheasants.

I can't imagine one passing at the road edge because you're coming so I guess they're doomed if they arrive at the same time as a car. The casualty rate certainly suggests large population and a poor self-preservation instinct for for is thought of as a shy animal.

They sure make a mess of the garden - we get them when there's a dry spell, probably the cultivated ground is easier to dig for grubs in. Blighters punctured the pond liner as well, and I'm pretty sure it was one that got in the chicken run and knocked one of the hens off.

Not hit one yet, but I did hit a fox a few years ago - it did a LOT of damage to a Galaxy, destroyed the bumper and smashed up bits of the air conditioning. That one ran off, but must have been badly injured nonetheless.
Hit a Badger!! - 1400ted
Nothing to run down like that around here, the odd feral cat or 1 footed pigeon, ( the other having rotted off through standing in it's own poo ! ) Certainly not edible unless you wish to be no stranger to the lavatory !
Oh, and if you're lucky, the odd Rattle as it staggers home from the pub ! :-)
Now that could hurt your bumper !
Hit a bee once on the bike at about 80mph,,,full in the face........that hurt ! Not very satisfying as road pizza though !

Ted
Hit a Badger!! - Kevin
They're solid little critters so if he went underneath make sure he hasn't damaged anything else.

Here in the wilds of deepest Hampshire the amount of roadkill always increases at this time of year, particularly deer and badger.

Kevin...
Hit a Badger!! - Dave_TD
First badger I ever saw in real life, lived for about 1/2 a second after I saw it.

Thinks: "Oh look, there's a ba-" *thump*
Hit a Badger!! - Lud
They are big solid animals. Killed one in a Skoda Estelle about 15 years ago, on an A road where it passes a good friend's farm. The badger crossed from left to right, fast, pretty invisible, on a bend, nothing I could do, n/s front of the spoiler knocked back, pulled it out by hand, no running gear damage.

'Oh, that was you was it?' was all the farmer had to say when I mentioned it.

Not sure I would eat a badger unless starving. I met a baby one in Wales once. Nice snuffling little creature, very bristly but cute looking, would lie curled up in your cupped hands without alarm. But you could tell by the look in its eye that it would never be tame or anything like that. I believe you can tame foxes but I don't think badgers are as bright.
Hit a Badger!! - Harleyman
Killed one in a Skoda Estelle about 15 years ago
on an A road where it passes a good friend's farm.

I believe you can
tame foxes but I don't think badgers are as bright.

Obviously not, or they wouldn't suffer the ignominy of being run over by a Skoda Estelle. ;-)
Hit a Badger!! - zookeeper
even if they learnt to use zebra crossings you still wouldnt see them half the time
Hit a Badger!! - madf
Lots of dead badgers round us..The live ones steal peanuts from the bird feeders : stainless steel ones are essential : wire ones get chewed up.

Not as bad as deer. Or sheep. Or cows. All of which appear on country roads from time to time.