Medium size car with flat back entry???? - llanwrst2
Hi
I have never bought a car before without the advice of my Dad who worked in the motor trade for 40 years. He passed away last year and in 2010 both I and my Mom need to buy nearly new or new (me) and motability (Mom) cars.

My Mom drives a small scooter which I currently get into the back of my Fiat Marea up a small ramp - very easy because it has a drop back and flat entry so I just drive the scooter into the back (riderless - i.e. I drive it from the side of the scooter - hope this makes sence). This car is nearly 9 years old and becoming unreliable as it gets very little use - I want to trade this and my 9 year old Fiat Punto as well - so 2 cars will become one (I cant afford 2 cars anymore!)

We are both looking for small or medium sized estates or hatchbacks with flat entry into the boot - Can anyone help with makes/models that have this? Once I get a few names I can arrange test drives and look at reliability etc but at the moment I cant find anything!

Thank you in advance
Tina
Medium size car with flat back entry???? - teabelly
The brand new Astra has a flat entry to the boot. Not sure if it is big enough for a scooter though. The fiat stilo multiwagon also has a flat boot entry as you could get it with a drop tailgate. Think it was on higher up models.

I also think the citroen berlingo has a flat boot entry as that could also fold the tailgate down so you could sit on it. The squarer looking models from a couple of years ago certainly did. Not sure about the current ones.
Medium size car with flat back entry???? - Altea Ego
The touran has a flat boot entry and a nice high tailgate. Plenty big enough for a scooter
Medium size car with flat back entry???? - LikedDrivingOnce
The Vauxhall Zafira is very practical as well. You can fold down the rear seats in all sorts of combinations, and you'd easily get a scooter or two in there.
Good luck with the hunt for a suitable vehicle - come back and tell us how you get on.
Medium size car with flat back entry???? - gordonbennet
Kia Ceed/Carens
Mitsubishi Lancer
Chev (Daewoo) Lacetta..better than you'd think IMO.
The usual suspects...from ford/VX/VW/Skoda etc.

A budget figure would help.

Edited by gordonbennet on 10/12/2009 at 22:56

Medium size car with flat back entry???? - teabelly
Thinking slightly laterally for a moment. If the scooter doesn't need to be taken inside the car that much would a small trailer be a more practical solution instead? Then you could have a smaller car generally. Or even just add a towing hitch to the punto if that is still reliable assuming the towing weight was within what the punto could do.
Medium size car with flat back entry???? - 1400ted
Our Nissan Note has a flat floor with an upright tailgate.
The boot is deeper as well, because the flat floor is removable. So you can carry other stuff and have the scooter on top. The roof line is fairly high and as a further bonus the whole back seat rolls forward to give more boot length. I'm not sure if a brand new one has this feature now but our 3 yr old has...Nissan engineering as well !...Made in England.

Good hunting
Ted
Medium size car with flat back entry???? - grumpyscot
Citroen Berlingo - my mate can actually drive his motorized wheel chair straight in - and because it's quite low, he doesn't feel threatened by a steep ramp.

Fiat Dublo is another similar version .

You might notice that this type of vehicle is very popular as taxis, simply because of the loading advantages.
Medium size car with flat back entry???? - barneybear
My in laws have two types of scooter - a lightweight shopper and a more rugged all terrain style. Either one drives into the Fabia estate with the rear seats up. They have liked it so much they are just about to get the second on Mobility scheme.
I have a Megan estate which is bigger and with rear seats down I can just get both in as its very square at the back end.
Medium size car with flat back entry???? - ijws15
Octavia with the variable boot floor (saloon or estate) You can get the floor from the dealer to add to any Octavia.
Medium size car with flat back entry???? - llanwrst2

MAny thanks to all those that helped with the search -and this is the result.......

Mom on the Motorbility scheme unfortunatly opted for a Ford Focus estate - I say unfortunate because the dealer pursuaded her to get the car without trying to get the scooter in first because they did not have one on the forcort to try out!!! Well it will not go up the ramp into the car because there is not enough clearance and the lip is too high. So Mom now dismantles the scooter and has to get a passerby to help her load it in the boot!! - Rubbish!! I'm now trying to get her to go back to Motorbility and get the car changed.

I have tried loads of cars - we have £10k and wanted a year old small estate with automatic gearbox. We looked at the ford focus, Vauxhall Astra, Skoda fabia but have plumped for a Peugot 207 SW 1.6 Sport on a 59 plate. The scooter goes straight in although there is not much room for shopping. we have 2 we are looking at and hope to get it at £10k including admin, tax and Gard-X. Does this sound a good deal?

Having never bought a 2nd hand car before does anyone have any hits or tips on what we should be asking the 2 dealers - one has dropped the asking price by £495 already and I'm waiting for a 'bottom' price from the other dealer.