07 1.6 Poor AM radio reception - Mazda-Man
I've recently been driving the wife's Focus and found that the AM reception is poor when the engine is running with all sorts of weird interference some of which sounds like some sort of digital interference as opposed to the normal sort of buzzing I've had in the past on old cars with poor aerials. She never uses AM but I like Radio 5 so is there any easy way of improving the reception? The car was bought from a Ford Direct dealer at about a year old and I've no idea if the problem's always existed or something's happened since she got it. Any advice gratefully received as always :)

Edited by Mazda-Man on 10/12/2009 at 18:20

07 1.6 Poor AM radio reception - bell boy
apparently if the previous owner put loctite in the aerial you will get poor am
personally i find this as believable as chucking salt over your shoulder after you cut a major artery on a broken mirror
anyway
your radio is duff
07 1.6 Poor AM radio reception - shara
Is this the Ford CD6000? If so mine is the same. Rubbish am reception, maybe just be loose wires in the back of the unit but if you do a forum search it is a known problem/characteristic of this unit.
07 1.6 Poor AM radio reception - Galaxy
I had this problem with my Ford radio.

Turned out the aerial lead had almost dropped out of the socket on the back of the radio. They're a very poor fit, not like the older type of car aerial lead.

Worth getting hold of a pair of extraction tools and pulling the radio out to check. Pushing the plug back in certainly did restore my radio's AM reception and, being a radio enthusiast, I actually do listen to AM quite a lot.

I cured this problem myself after having reported it to my local Ford Main Dealer who used to service the car. They obviously didn't bother doing anything, a very familiar pattern in their case!

07 1.6 Poor AM radio reception - Singlish
I had a similar problem fixed under warranty! the poor AM reception was caused by bad earthing, dealer cleaned up various earthing points, I understand the earthing point one that gave the most problem was behind the radio in the dash.

Andrew
Thanks for the replies guys. Will have a look at the radio and see if I can get it out. Anyone got any idea where I could get hold of the removal tools?

TVM
07 1.6 Poor AM radio reception - elekie&a/c doctor
These late focus models do not use the old style removal pins.The radio surround panel has to be un-clipped ,then the radio is attached to the dash by 4 torx screws.hth
Thanks for that.

Just thought, is the radio supplied with these cars code protected? We've never needed to input a code and don't recall ever getting one when we bought the car so will we to use one if I remove and fiddle around with the unit?

TVM