06 1.9 Diesel/steering problems - atb66
Hi
Earlier this year I bought 56 plate D4D Avensis, 44000k, full Toyota service history - attracted by Toyota reputation for reliability. Since then, now having 2nd new turbo fitted, also a new pump did not fix a steering vibration/noise so a new steering rack going in today (all under warranty). Additionally, engine noisy very when cold, maybe injector noise - dealer says no problem detected.
Am I just unlucky or, as the warranty runs out in January, should I get rid of this car asap? Also, just found out on this forum about head gasket problems with this engine. Does anyone know how widespread this problem is?

If anyone can give me any feedback on any of these issues I would be very grateful.

Cheers
06 1.9 Diesel/steering problems - bell boy
sounds a lemon and a money pit
why would it have to have two turbos? did they tell you why the first one went in your keeping?
cant say i would be looking forward to january>>
06 1.9 Diesel/steering problems - Galad
Trade it in for a 1.8 petrol version - I get 44 mpg on mine, the servcing costs are reasonable and it hasn't missed a beat in 3 years. I have little faith in modern common rail diesels, whatever make they are, being an avid HJ reader.
06 1.9 Diesel/steering problems - delboy85
I bought a 57 plate Avensis 2.2D-4D 12 months ago with 8000 miles on the clock. I recently experienced a lack of power and the VSC/TRC lights came on. I took the car to the Toyota agents and they have decided to renew the injectors, a gas valve and the turbo at a cost of £5000. The car is still under warranty but has only done a little under 20,000 miles. The warranty expires at the end of the year so I am thinking is it time to be rid of it. My opinion on Toyota reliability has taken a big dive especialy since I have been advised by a Toyota mechanic that it has been a common fault on vehicles after 15000 miles.

Del
06 1.9 Diesel/steering problems - 659FBE
I'm still not yet convinced that the Japanese makers have diesel development fully accomplished. The all important fuel systems are generally produced locally under licence from a European designer (often Bosch) with somewhat variable results.

When I see a fully Japanese designed diesel fuel system which has been in trouble-free production for about 5 years, I'll put my money on the table. Until then, if I had a requirement for the model on offer, I'd take the advice given above and buy a petrol engine.

So far, the only makers who have produced some (not all) good small diesels are French or German. As I had a specific requirement for a diesel, I bought a non-DPF VAG PD. So far, I'm very pleased with its performance, economy and reliability. At the time of purchase, it obeyed my "5 year" rule.