Queuing for fuel - nick62
The local Tesco has been re-developed recently and now the entrance road to the filling station is only wide enough for one vehicle.

I always wait when I get to the front of the queue (i.e.the end of the entrance road) until the first available pump becomes free, as unlike a lot of other drivers, I do actually have the mental capacity to park the car such that the hose will reach from the "wrong" side!!!

I have probably had to make this "wait" half a dozen times of late as this station is very busy, (probably due to the 5p a litre discount offer). Each and every time I have been hassled by at least one of those behind me, to drive into a queue at a particular pump, (which I always ignore). I find the worst offenders to be taxi drivers, one of which I had a real go at the last time this happened.

What's wrong with these people, they seem to have no sense that I'm not actually holding them up in my quest to also get served as quickly as possible?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/12/2009 at 21:38

Queuing for fuel - adam f
I am with the people on this one, why dont you just pull up to a pump and wait rather then waiting for one to become available? When you go food shopping do you wait down the centre aisle for the next available till or do you go to a checkout and que up like normal people.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/12/2009 at 21:38

I am with the people on this one................................

....... and que up like normal people.

Adam, I'm not holding anyone up, I'm just making sure I get to the FIRST AVAILABLE pump, you obviously suffer from the "normal" British disease of liking to queue-up!!!

I rest my case.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/12/2009 at 21:39

Queuing for fuel - idle_chatterer
Happens a lot and in other situations e.g. train ticket queue, in shops even - that's why retailers introduce the 'snaking' checkout queues with barriers - average queuing time is shorter with multiple servers / single queue than with multiple servers / multiple queues, perhaps your Tesco have narrowed the entrance road to accomplish exactly this ?

Usually it's 'space' that determines which type of queuing paradigm is used.

When fuelling I also try to avoid going to a pump on the 'wrong side' too (unlike you) - simply because I don't want to stretch a hose over / round my car and risk scratching it, don't think I block others who are less fussy though, it's a personal choice.

Maybe a helpful sign to aid those without an understanding of queuing theory - along the lines of 'please wait here until a pump becomes free' ?

Edited by idle_chatterer on 08/12/2009 at 20:57

Queuing for fuel - Martin Devon
German syndrome!
Queuing for fuel - Bromptonaut
It's the sites (Sainsbury's Northampton Sixfields can you hear?) that advertise long reach/queue either side but then economise on the last 40cm of hose that irritate me!!
Queuing for fuel - Westpig
Most petrol stations would want everyone in queueing at the pumps so as not to queue back on to the road.

i've never heard or noticed anyone holding back and queueing for all pumps, waiting for the next available one...... and would find that out of the ordinary (no doubt particularly irritating if you only wanted the air/water filler and couldn't get to it).

I can see why you are receiving some conflict from other motorists...it's not the norm old chap, what's wrong with choosing a pump and then being patient.
Queuing for fuel - Dynamic Dave
what's wrong with choosing a pump and then being patient.

I tend to end up behind the person who isn't just there for petrol but also does their weekly shopping as well.

I have to agree with the OP that I'd sooner wait in a line of cars for the next available pump to become free.
simply because I don't want to stretch a hose over / round my car and risk scratching it

Use your spare hand to hold the hose away from the body work.
Queuing for fuel - zookeeper
just off topic slightly, whats more common..off side or near side fuel filler caps?
Queuing for fuel - Robin Reliant
At a guess, I'd say offside.
Queuing for fuel - Old Navy
just off topic slightly whats more common..off side or near side fuel filler caps?

>>

And is the side an indication of an original LHD or RHD design?
just off topic slightly whats more common..off side or near side fuel filler caps?

My guess is offside as most cars are designed for LHD and I observe that Japanese manufacturers and Rover of old tended to put them on the LHS whilst Ford, BMW, VAG etc place them on the RHS.

I don't think this is by any means a cardinal rule though, there are exceptions (the older Fiesta perhaps ?)
Queuing for fuel - Alby Back
Old Ka is a n/s filler
Old Ka is a n/s filler

and closely related to the Fiesta I cited I think ?
Use your spare hand to hold the hose away from the body work.

When I have to I do, also pumps with the 'gantry' type hoses are better, generally I dutifully join the queue behind pumps with the hose nearest to my offside and watch others who are less fastidious or have fuel fillers on the nearside whizz through at other pumps - it's a personal choice - I admit it.
I can see why you are receiving some conflict from other motorists...it's not the norm
old chap what's wrong with choosing a pump and then being patient.

Because despite the apparent general perception it is actually slower (on average) for all concerned ?

I'd add that I don't do this and neither can I think of any fuel site which has a single queue or the room to provide one.
In the 1960's my dad would pull on to the forecourt of our local Esso station. A polite, overalled and flat capped cheerful chap would greet him by name and would fill his car for him and while doing so check the oil and finally scoosh in a "shot" of Redex for every gallon. He would then write down the transaction in his little notebook and my father would settle his account once a month. In and out in a trice. It might even have been a reasonably pleasant experience. If the fellow was busy he could fill several ( well four ) cars at once in a practised plate spinner sort of way.
Queuing for fuel - carl_a
If anyone wants to check outa really well designed filling station get to Leamington Spa Sainsburys. Three pumps each side, a lane in the middle to escape, only trouble happens when a plonker parks in this lane to go into the shop... oh well nothings perfect.
Queuing for fuel - the swiss tony
If anyone wants to check outa really well designed filling station get to Leamington Spa
Sainsburys.

That is a very well set out place.... I used to fill up there at least once a week, very pleasant staff as well!
Queueing for fuel - Old Navy
I try to avoid petrol stations where the pumps are an add on to a small supermarket, the one I use only sells sweets and papers.
I don't recall Sainbury in Leamington being much different to any other Sainsbury filling station ? It's certainly had long queues when I've used it whilst in the area but then its prices are usually 2p (or more) less per litre than Surrey

Edited by idle_chatterer on 08/12/2009 at 22:17

Queuing for fuel - carl_a
I don't recall Sainbury in Leamington being much different to any other Sainsbury filling station

They recently (well this year)closed if for a few weeks and remodelled it, now the best designed place I can think of. I very rarely fill up there however as the shell station towards the town centre is always the same price. Leamington does have cheaper fuel than elsewhere, not sure why.
Queuing for fuel - fredthefifth

I agree with the OP, but at our local Tesco there is now a sign asking drivers to join a queue at the pump.

No way - some customers seem to do their weekly shop while paying for the petrol!!!

We have the same layout and they haven't allowed enough queueing space so they are simply moving the queues into the lanes at the pump.

FTF
Queuing for fuel - FotheringtonThomas
What's wrong with these people they seem to have no sense that I'm not actually
holding them up in my quest to also get served as quickly as possible?

I don't know. Try buying your fuel elsewhere.
im surprised tescburies dont have a fuel online service, like they do with the shopping?...buy online and get re-fueled at night outside your own house whilst your fast asleep in bed, leave the keys under the wheel arch, or front door mat for the delivery bloke ......
Queuing for fuel - Dave_TD
Now THAT is a good idea... Wonder if the customer would accept a £5 per delivery charge though? ;-) (bearing in mind how far some people drive to save 1p/2p a litre, ie £1.20 on a full tank!)

Edited by Dave_TD {P} on 08/12/2009 at 22:31

Queuing for fuel - catsdad
The best system, which I haven't seen for years, was where you drove after filling up to a kiosk in a payment lane. You still took your chance at the pump but at least nobody blocked the lane while they went off shopping. Of course filling stations want to sell us lots of other high margin stuff so they probably don't like the kiosk system. A few round our way are also introducing pay at the pump but its no quicker when most people seem to opt still to go inside to pay. I wonder however if these will go the way of the kiosks if people start to use them and shop takings fall?
Stopped at a completely unmanned Asda filling station somewhere in Oxfordshire a few months back, pay at pump only.

The whole world is going self service, the saving in personnel costs will outweigh any lost sales in many locations.

Still used a pump with the hose adjacent to my filler cap though ;-)
Asda at leicester north is the same, they send someone over every hour to check for spillages etc but otherwise there's a trolley with sand and fire extinguishers on it.

How do you stop people chatting on the phone / smoking while filling up at them?
that asda north leicester (thurmaston) is a pain , its in the superstores car park which is one way in one way out, murder at weekends....i use the total garage on the a46
Queuing for fuel - Bagpuss
How do you stop people chatting on the phone / smoking while filling up at them?

Only ever seen people smoking at a filling station twice. Once in Southern Italy and once in in the middle of nowhere in Alabama.
Only ever seen people smoking at a filling station twice

I worked in one in 1993-5 part time. Used to have to issue a tannoyed rollicking for it about once a week. Luckily this was just before every Tom, Dick and Harry had a hand-held mobile phone.

Saw a builder filling up his van whilst smoking AND on the phone at the BP near the river in Londonderry when I was making a delivery there once...

Edited by Dave_TD {P} on 08/12/2009 at 22:54

Aye but to be fair, they weren't too fazed by the odd bang round there.....
Queuing for fuel - L'escargot
Saw a builder filling up his van whilst smoking AND on the phone at the
BP ..........

Suicide bomber?
To wander off piste, am I correct in thinking that the mobile phone rule has more to do with interference with pump metering systems than safety ?

Even further off piste, I recall turning up to visit a customer based on the same site as a Royal Ordinance Factory in about 1997, I was asked by the security guards (who where MPs with guns - not the Westminister kind either) to turn my phone off, when I (politely) enquired why they had this rule I was told 'because the production line workers don't take kindly to detonators going off on the production line sir', I dutifully turned my phone off.....

Edited by idle_chatterer on 08/12/2009 at 22:56

Queuing for fuel - Bagpuss
Even further off piste I recall turning up to visit a customer based on the same site as a Royal Ordinance
Factory in about 1997 I was asked by the security guards (who where MPs with guns - not the Westminister
kind either) to turn my phone off when I (politely) enquired why they had this rule I was told 'because the
production line workers don't take kindly to detonators going off on the production line sir' I dutifully
turned my phone off.....

And even further off piste. I then early 80s I worked for a company who built solid fuel rocket engines for guided missiles. Before visiting the assembly area we had to leave our digital watches with the security guard because of the (alleged) risk of the engines being detonated by "interference" from the watches.
Queuing for fuel - Dynamic Dave
To wander off piste am I correct in thinking that the mobile phone rule has
more to do with interference with pump metering systems than safety ?

No, it's case you drop the phone and the battery falls out, which *could* then result in a spark.
Queuing for fuel - the swiss tony
The best system which I haven't seen for years was where you drove after filling
up to a kiosk in a payment lane.

Asda High Wycombe uses this system - they also have some pay at pump on the same site.
mobile phone rule has more to do with interference with pump metering systems than safety

I'm sure this has been discussed at exhaustive length on here, but to summarise it I was given to understand the explosion risk argument is used to scare the public into compliance - the actual reason is that inattentiveness could lead to putting more fuel in the tank than the customer has funds to pay for, with all the attendant paperwork and delays that generates.

After all, how often do you hear in the news about filling stations exploding?

Edited by Dave_TD {P} on 08/12/2009 at 23:05

Queuing for fuel - AshT
Payment at a kiosk on the way out is used at Asda fuel stations in Caerphilly and Cardiff as well. Seems to work very well, hardly any queues even on a Saturday.

Try buying your fuel elsewhere.

To help you do this, you could use www.petrolprices.com. Supermarket prices aren't always competetive within a few miles, and if you happen to be passing another serrvice station... HTH.
........... I do actually have the mental capacity to park the car such that
the hose will reach from the "wrong" side!!!

I have no intention of dragging the hose across the back of my car and scratching the paintwork. I go to the end of the queue for my chosen pump and wait my turn. Life is too short to worry about having to wait a few minutes to fill up.

Edited by L'escargot on 09/12/2009 at 07:15

I have no intention of dragging the hose across the back of my car and
scratching the paintwork.

>>

Get an estate car with a nice raked back window and the hose never comes near any paintwork.

I think there are fuelling "mimsers" as well as driving ones?
Queuing for fuel - grumpyscot
What gets me is that Asda (Walmart) is an American company, yet their pumps are card only - no option to pay cash - and all "self service" - and this from a company whose parent organisation looks after big fat americans who won't do anything for themselves, least of all get out their cars to fill up unless, of course, they aim to go to the gas station shop for coffee, donuts, pizzas, ice cream,.....................
Queuing for fuel - DP
Most cars, as mentioned above, seem to have their filler caps on the offside. Certainly both our VW and Volvo do. This means that in queues for petrol stations, there will often be empty "left hand side" pumps with huge long queues for the right hand ones. I simply drive up, pull the hose across (never had one not reach yet), and fill up while people sit there and wait. It's their choice at the end of the day.
I've always done this, and can honestly say I've never noticed a single scratch or mark from fuel hoses on any car I've owned, ever. But if people want to sit and wait (completely unnecessarily IMHO), it's a free country. My life is hardly the epitome of epic excitement and clogged diaries, but I certainly have better things to do with it than queue for fuel when I don't have to ;-)
Queuing for fuel - mustangman
here in the midlands we have a Tesco station in Cradley Heath this small, has narrow lanes & it is almost impossible to get out of the main road exit.
On a slightly different tack, I think a lot of queing is due to there being significantly less stations around than there was a few years back, around here all the small ones have closed.
Queuing for fuel - DP
In our small town, we have two petrol stations within 300 yds of each other. One Esso, one Texaco. Texaco consistently more expensive by 1 or 2p per litre, but the Esso has a Tesco Express franchise (with no Pay @ Pump), meaning the queues can be epic. It's taken me 20 minutes to buy fuel there before. I will often swallow the cost and go to the Texaco garage where I can be in and out in 2 mins.
Queuing for fuel - daveyjp
Easy solution, don't leave it until the last minute to fill up then if it's busy you can drive past knowing you won't run out and fill up when you see a quiet station.

Most people in urban areas still have fuel stations which are open for very long hours (24 hours at pay at pump stations) so why is it necessary to go when it is busy?

Queuing for fuel - Cliff Pope
I take the point about the two alternative queuing systems - ie individual queues at each checkout (eg Tesco) or single snaking queue (eg banks or big PO).

But the snaking method isn't appropriate at a filling station because there are usually two pumps per aisle, and often it isn't possible to get to the further pump until the first car has moved. Or if already served and paid at the first, you can't get out until the irritating driver in front has chosen his crisp variety or done the lotto card.

So the individual queues don't move evenly and smoothly, but go in jerks, often both pumps suddenly becoming free simultaneously. As in supermarkets, you need psychology to spot the slow moving queues, the about-to-clear checkouts, the dumb and fumbling operator, the machine that's running slow.
Everyone enjoys the game of trying to spot the quickest moving lane, and you are spoiling their fun by trying to impose the "snake" principle.
Queuing for fuel - andyfr
What gets me is that Asda (Walmart) is an American company yet their pumps are
card only - no option to pay cash - and all "self service"

All the gas stations we used in the US were like that. Much quicker as no having to queue to pay.
Queuing for fuel - dieseldogg
Tescos at Ballymena is perhaps worse,
I was pulling away from the pump when a dork attempted to get past me to access the pump in front of me??? I had just got into the vehicle too, could he not work it out?
I fuel to whichever side....... is free the joys of driving a 12 year old car
and the Steyr Puch fuels at the rear.
But the main problem is everyone leaves their cars at the pumps and pays at the kiosk
payment at the pump is an option but no one uses it
I have queried why does Tescos NOT reduce the pump paid tranasactions by a couple of pence a litre.
that should work.
Cheers
M
Queuing for fuel - Big Bad Dave
I always use an unmanned station and very rarely have to queue. It's a few pence cheaper, nobody buying fags, mars bars and newspapers and the VAT receipt comes in the post. Very occasionally though, there will be a simple-minded moron stopped right at the entrance waiting for a particular pump so everyone behind is backed onto the road. And of course you get the dribbling, brain-dead monkeys who can't follow the simple, idiot-proof steps to operate the payment part. No love, you can't put coins in the credit card slot.

It's slightly out of my way though and on the wrong side of a dual carriageway so to make it worthwhile I'll tie it in with a trip to a nearby store that I probably wouldn't visit otherwise - Lidl. It's also the site of a huge road-building programme with multi flyovers being constructed and they've temporarily banned left-turns so it's another 3 km before I can do a U-y and head for home.

I get my air at a different station. Has to be in the daytime though, the numbers on the gauge are pale orange and when you look at it under the sodium lamps all you see is a blank white panel. Well thought out. Not.
Queuing for fuel - drbe
What gets me is that Asda

>>

Don't buy your fuel there, then!

Edited by drbe on 09/12/2009 at 17:42

:-D

>>

There probably are, maybe I'm even one of them..... however what of those who only put £10 in ? Surely they will eventually use the full tank, the price will almost always have gone up by the time they put the next £10 in so this is a false economy The ratio of fueling time to queuing time must make this inefficient and therefore delays other motorists......

Of course this will get the 'what if you can only afford to put £10 in' response but with a little fiscal planning this is a spurious argument, I guess there are some circumstances (hire cars, courtesy cars etc) when it might apply but not many I'd contend.
Queuing for fuel - injection doc
I detest those that fill up & leave the car at the pump whilst they buy 2-3 carrier bags of shopping !!!!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAaHhhhhhhhh that really winds me up! if i am getting anything other than fuel or if there is a queue behind me I usually move the car & park. I have never experinecd any one panicking thinking I doing a drive off!
I recently whilst towing the caravan in france pulled up in a motorway filling station behind a british car ( should of known better ) & 5 women in a BMW touring & they all queued for the loo's & then bought lunch & then got coffees! still parked on the pump! When i asked politley if they wouldn't mind moving I just got loads of verbal abuse! Typical english abroad! due to how busy the forcourt was on the auto route I couldn't reverse to a suitable pump & ended up unhitching the van & squeezing in front & reversed up to the BMW to fill up. I was so tempted to ram my tow bar into the front of their BM but then i would of been no better than them.I had the pleaseure of leaving it there whilst i went to pay & then the kids did the loo stop & bought lunch! by this time the women in the BMW were getting really abusive but with a tow bar 3mm from their bumper they were well & truly stuck. What goes round comes round & the whole escapade took over 35 minuets & a very long queue behind
they all queued for the loo's & then bought lunch & then got coffees!

Plenty of time to let their tyres down, then.
Queuing for fuel - diddy1234
When I fill up, I do think of moving the car forward (freeing up the pump for someone else) but I don't want to be done for a drive off.

Needless to say I don't move the car after filling up.

Some pump station computer systems can not allow the next person to fill up until the previous person has paid from the pump.
When I fill up I do think of moving the car forward (freeing up the
pump for someone else) but I don't want to be done for a drive off.

You can't be under those circumstances. Even if you *do* accidentally drive away without paying, you can't necessarily be "done".
Queuing for fuel - Armstrong Sid
Re: the problem of filling up on "the wrong side" and scratching paintwork.........

If there is enough space in the petrol station area, I do a quick 3-point turn and reverse alongside the pumps so that I can park at the side of the pump which would normally be on my "wrong" side".

It just means that my car is pointing in the opposite direction to everyone else in the place
You can't be under those circumstances. Even if you *do* accidentally drive away without paying
you can't necessarily be "done".

>>

A few years ago a friend forgot to pay for fuel, a few hours later the police arrived at his house and invited him to return to the petrol station to pay, and then departed.

Would this happen these days, or would action be taken to help achieve a "target"?

Edited by Old Navy on 09/12/2009 at 12:11

Queueing for fuel - stevied
I think in some areas it would happen yes. In London he'd probably be shot... : )

I remember now why I moved out of London. :-)

Edited by Old Navy on 09/12/2009 at 12:21

Queueing for fuel - FotheringtonThomas
a friend forgot to pay for fuel ..the police arrived at his house and invited him to pay
Would this happen these days or would action be taken to help achieve a "target"?

Difficult to meet "targets" with no chance of conviction (unless the target's just X arrests).
Queueing for fuel - Alby Back
Don't do queues. I slide out after 9.00 pm for a swim and fill up on the way home while she's watching yet another drama involving dead bodies. Roads are quieter except for the ubiquitous Saxos and Corsas with unfeasable exhausts.
If you say to the driver of one of these chav chariots at a petrol station "hey mate, there seems to be something wrong with your car... the revs are going up and down by about 2000rpm as you are slowly moving forwards in that queue, and did you know your exhaust is blowing?" then you very quickly learn the latest late teen/early twenties insults. I found this out on Saturday evening on my way home from the pub, emboldened after a couple of Hobgoblins. Very amusing.
Ah, so can we take it that you've been at the Shell garage next to Tesco Express on Nantwich Road on a Saturday night too ?

;-)
Er... you're scarily close... I am awestruck! I have been there, yes... but I meant the garage at Nantwich Morrisons! Humph... have you got me on webcam?!!
No don't worry of course not ! Just from reading some of your posts I had guessed that you must live quite near me. I use the car wash at that Morrisons when I'm feeling lazy. Big guilt trip afterwards though.

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 09/12/2009 at 13:23

You're very good! I actually live more or less in Morrisons: in the houses opposite. Are you a Wistonian then?
No, just off Welsh Row, not too far away.
Homesick now! : ) This working away in the week is getting to me.

Speaking of garages, as I had best get back to the topic before a Dabbers post gets set up, the Morrisons pay at the pump is good except for one thing: if you have even the smallest mark or scratch on your miles card, it won't work at the pump. So you have to go and queue in with the weekly shoppers.... grrr.

Steve - you have mail at the address in your profile.
Excellent! Will have a look shortly.
Queueing for fuel - idle_chatterer
I'll bet the chav puts just £10 worth in too....

Edited by idle_chatterer on 09/12/2009 at 12:52

Queueing for fuel - Alanovich
I had occasion recently to put only £10 of fuel in to a car. It was a rented car and I needed 10 pounds worth in order to return the car with the same amount of fuel as it started with.

So there are times when putting a silly amount of fuel in is not related to cash flow issues.
Queueing for fuel - daveyjp
Some friends of ours only ever used to put about £20 in.

Fine when you are only doing a few miles, but when we went on holiday with them to Scotland and covered about 800 miles in a week their constant stops for fuel didn't half wind us up - I never understrood why they didn't just fill up every time.
Queueing for fuel - Dynamic Dave
I never understrood why they didn't just fill up every time.

Maybe they had a hole in their tank that only leaked fuel if it was over ½ or ¾ full?
Queueing for fuel - Alanovich
Thanks for reminding me of my old Citroen GSA, which could never be more than half filled for that very reason.
Queueing for fuel - perro
You'll have to excuse me as I stumbled onto this thread purely by accident ... Queue 4 Fuel? I thought that only happened during The Budget or a fuel delivery strike.
I think I can put up with the wind & rain in Corwall after all.
Anyway FWIW - I wouldn't dream of holding others up at the garage entrance, I pull up at the pump with the least cars, like most normal people would.
Queueing for fuel - FotheringtonThomas
I never understrood why they didn't just fill up every time.

If you're stopping and starting, having a full tank means you use more fuel. If you're going along at fairly constant speed having a full tank makes little difference.
Queueing for fuel - commerdriver
So there are times when putting a silly amount of fuel in is not related
to cash flow issues.

The other obvious reason is the one my wife and daughter use, put in enough to keep going till I get back, then ask me to fill the tank please :-)
Queueing for fuel - Gotanoldhondar

The company i work for has its own pump so i use that, no queues just the odd pallet that
needs shifting.
Queueing for fuel - barneybear
This has been one of the best threads for a while. Amazing branches off and then suddenly back on track. My normal fill is Tesco, Newton Aycliffe, Co Durham. Little or no queing space and its on the way into the store, so on occassions the queue snakes back onto the main road and non-fuel shoppers can't get into the store - very poor design. I use Pay at Pump, except when I have the 5p off voucher - and queues are more frequent during such promotions. I too tend to fill up at quieter times, like Sunday evening after dropping a youngster off at friends before heading south for a working week 300 miles away.
Asda in Luton is staff-less, but when its windy they don't dispense receipts, but staff will write one for you inside the store!!
The queing schemes in post offices and at longer self-service tills in supermarkets work well, and car queing would work in the same way IF there was space. But generally x8 cars takes up a long length, so good practice is to form a series of small queues where some will be quicker and some slower. (and yes as a sad-o I have studied such things in "Lean Thinking" see Nissan and Toyta manufacturing, but at least it did help to bring down long waits for the NHS - long story, dont ask)

I also use petrol price checker, but 1-2p difference and an extra 20miles isn't worth it..