Ford Focus ECU Problem? - timp
Have had some strange problems with my 99T Focus 1.8 starting from today:

1. Turning on the ignition this morning, the rev counter and speedometer shot straight up to 7000rpm and 140mph and stayed there for several seconds. Eventually they dropped straight down to zero. (During this time, the engine was at idle and I evidently wasn't going at 140mph). After a few more seconds they returned to correct readings.

2. Coming back from work this evening, I turned into my drive in 2nd gear as usual, and it became very jerky - almost kangarooing up the drive. I changed into first gear, with a resultant complete lack of power - the engine became almost silent, the oil light came on briefly, despite that I was applying a little pressure to the accelerator. It didn't feel or sound as though it had stalled, there was just no response to the accelerator.

Has anybody got any ideas as to the cause of the problems? I suspect they may be associated and to me they suggest a problem with the ECU. The car is always parked outside. Is it likely that damp has affected the ECU?

Thanks,
Tim
Ford Focus ECU Problem? - David Davies
I would suggest that this problem is caused by a power supply failure and is unlikely to be an ECU fault.It could be as simple as loose battery connections.Check these and if OK move on to the main power feeds to the fuse box in the engine bay.The instruments will behave as you describe after disconnecting and reconnecting the battery.Hope this helps.
David Davies (Tune-Up Raglan)
Thanks, I'll check this.

Looking back at previous topics, the problem seems very similar to the thread 'Focus Speedo fault'. Is it likely that the vehicle speed sensor would affect the rev counter as well as the speedometer?
I seem to have solved this one myself - having found the ECU, I re-secured all the connectors. Everything is now behaving itself!