Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - merganser
I have a long running problem where one of my neighbours or his visitors park opposite my drive which can make reversing out of my drive tricky. My street is very narrow so even a small obstruction can cause problems - usually the cars are parked partly on the verge which gives a bit more room but for the last three days I have had a visitor's car parked entirely on the road opposite my drive which has been a real nuisance. The car has moved a couple of times and each time it returns it parks in the same spot.

I have politely asked the owner of the car to move it and he refused, saying there was nowhere else he could park (not true) and that as there are no parking restrictions, he is within his rights to park there. My neighbours wife then smuggly informed me that the owner of the car is a policeman and can therefore do as he pleases!

I have contacted the police about the obstruction (as has one of my other neighbours) and have been told that provided I can get my car out of my drive, they won't get involved. I have tried to explain to the police that the only reason I can get my car out is because I have a double width drive and only one car, so have more room to manouvre. If I had a second car on the drive, I would be unable to get out without driving over parts of my garden. Effectively the obstruction means that visitors are unable to park on my drive which obviously puts even more pressure on available parking.

Can anyone tell me what the law is with regard to causing an obstruction, is there a legal definition? Were the police telling me the truth, or was I just being fobbed off?

Edited by merganser on 06/12/2009 at 12:59

Top Reply

Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - Altea Ego
What obstruction? if you can get your car out there isnt one.

Edited by Altea Ego on 06/12/2009 at 14:01

All Replies

Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - gordonbennet

Reverse in, then ignore the people opposite who are maybe enjoying the situation, which may be a blessing at some point.
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - Pugugly
Agreed. From what you describe not a Police matter - may be a parish council thing though
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - Old Navy
Wait untill it moves and park your car there.
The guy who used to park opposite my drive occaisionally in an empty street, stopped after SWMBO reversed into the side of his car. He now parks on his mothers drive. Not reccomended but effective.
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - M.M
merganser you have huge sympathy from me... I'm a calm guy but bad manners from parking idiots near the home would be a major irritant. Since having parking nightmares outside our first place which was a town flat we have put outside space over the house itself in almost all our places over the past 30yrs.

Last year we were involved in looking after a rented place in a group of new houses on a narrow village road with driveway access similar to your situation. The tenant was an arrogant fool who seemed to think his rental included the road outside the house regardless of the grief and stress it caused others.

Sadly there is rarely any real resolution to this once you've mentioned it and met resistance.... well just moving and that's not always possible.

Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - L'escargot
Make a meal of reversing out of your drive to make it look as if you're not very competent at reversing. Have your driver's door open and hang you head out of the door. Deliberately reverse until your car is nearly touching the parked car and then get out and have a look at the amount of room left. Get back in the car and reverse another few millimetres. Do that a few times and then the last time you get back in your car tear off as if you've hit the parked car. No doubt the owner will be watching you. Just hope he gets the message.
What obstruction? if you can get your car out there isnt one.

Edited by Altea Ego on 06/12/2009 at 14:01

Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - movilogo
Buy a £100 banger and park there when its empty.

As long as other car is parked legally you have no recourse.

Though you can write to council about this matter.

Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - Alby Back
We have similar problems here. Very narrow road and too many cars. If something is parked opposite my drive it requires a multi point turn to get in or out.

I agree with GB. Get into the habit of reversing on to your drive. Generally, it makes things easier when you want to leave.

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 06/12/2009 at 14:01

Thanks for all the suggestions. To those who feel it isn't an issue or suggest I should reverse in, I'd have to disagree. Whilst reversing in might make it easier to get out of my drive, it wouldn't solve the problem that effectively these idiots are depriving me of one of my parking spaces as I don't think you could easily reverse in with another car on the drive. There actions are all the more annoying because in many cases they park accross my drive rather than use their own drive.

I have already considered 'accidently' reversing in to one of their cars and have nearly done so on a couple of occasions. Whilst its tempting, I don't wan't to stoop that low though I might yet change my mind as my current car will be being scrapped as soon as its replacement arrives (replacement is going to be fitted with a tow bar :-) ).

I have also thought about parking my car opposite my drive rather than in it but I feel that that won't get the message accross sufficiently. I've decided that the best way to make the point is to park bang opposite their drive for a week or so and see if that gets the message accross. Unfortunately doing so will involve inconveniencing another of my neighbours as well, but I just had a word with him and he doesn't mind for a week or so which is very understanding of him.
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - perro
>>> I've decided that the best way to make the point is to park bang opposite their drive for a week or so <<<

Good man/woman - that's what I would have done, don't consider reversing into their car though as it may lead to fisticuffs and you'll lose - whether you win or not.
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - Dynamic Dave
Why not park across your own drive for a while? That way he won't be able to park on the opposite side of the street to you as he would block the road off.
I have a double width drive and only one car

Alternately, as you've got a double drive, why not invite him to use the spare parking space you have available?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/12/2009 at 15:05

Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - Simon
Why not play him at his own game and borrow another car to park on your drive for a short while. This way when he parks up and you can't get out of your own drive you can call the old bill with a view to them having to have his car towed away for causing an obstruction.

Even if it doesn't get quite that far I am sure it would cause him some embarrassment with his colleagues with them having to turn out to a fellow police officer being a nuisance neighbour.

I reckon that he would soon get the message without damage needing to be done.
OK, job done now parked opposite his drive, will wait & see what happens. I'm also determined that whatever the weather, I'll be cycling to work next week so the car can sit there for the week.

Simon - I like your idea, I'll keep it in reserve.
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - Simon
>>OK, job done now parked opposite his drive, will wait & see what happens

It won't affect him, he doesn't appear to use his drive... :-)
I think the orginal poster and his neigbour deserve each other.
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - ifithelps
I think the neighbour and Altea Ego deserve each other. :)
good job you dont live in my road then Ifi.

Edited by Altea Ego on 06/12/2009 at 15:46

Can you be sure that I don't?
Can you be sure that I don't?

yeah, its posh here.
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - b308
I agree with AE, if the OP can get his car out then there's no obstruction...

But another alternative would be to borrow someone's SORN'd car and park it on the OP's drive, if he really then can't get his car in and out then he will have a valid case surely?

Edited by b308 on 06/12/2009 at 15:53

Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - harib
I always find these parking games of chess quite fascinating in a strange kind of way. I think it's all the weird and wonderful passive-aggressive ideas such as parking old bangers in the way and doing the same thing back to the previous person.

Let's face it. The neighbour can legally park there, so there's no point trying law enforcement. You could deliberately or accidentally reverse into their car, but then you're at fault for reversing into a stationary object.

The way I see it, there are three solutions:

* Reverse into your drive to make leaving easier

* Park on the street

* Write a letter to the correct area of your council with pictures and diagrams showing your situation. That may make them add double yellows to that area - although I expect your neighbour would appeal against it.

Apart from that - you'll just have to learn to get on with each other.
"OK, job done now parked opposite his drive, will wait & see what happens. I'm also determined that whatever the weather, I'll be cycling to work next week so the car can sit there for the week."

See what i mean Ifi?

the Original poster is just as bad as the other guy.

Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - Lud
Of course AE is right. The OP strongly implies that it is even possible to reverse two cars into his driveway, although he says it 'isn't easy'.

What on earth makes anyone think every aspect of driving has to be 'easy'? Of course it is more than apparent that many do, for one sees them on the road every day making a pig's ear of elementary manoeuvres and systematically getting in the way. Perhaps if they understood that there are some things that are slightly more difficult then they would be able to shape up and practise until they found them at least possible.

Even a tight awkward manoeuvre becomes easier when you have done it a few times.

My recommendation is that the OP lies in wait for the irksome police neighbour and then commits an assault on him with a non-lethal blunt instrument - a rubber cosh say. That'll learn both of them.
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - Bagpuss
I always find these parking games of chess quite fascinating in a strange kind of way.

Yes, I do too. I'm wondering how long until one of the parking games on this forum ends in violence.
>> I always find these parking games of chess quite fascinating in a strange kind
of way.
Yes I do too. I'm wondering how long until one of the parking games on
this forum ends in violence.

keep watching - this one has potential.
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - Andrew-T
You'll just have to learn to get on with each other.

Absolutely, harib. If it is still possible to get in and out, you have no particular rights or control over what others do outside your property. All you can do is ask nicely whenever you need to. If the neighbour is unco-operative that is unfortunate, and as M.M. says above, extremely irritating. But if things descend into guerrilla warfare, that can be much worse.

Basically, the available space is constant, and the number (and volume) of cars wanting to park on it tends to increase. Grin and bear it - or move ...

Edited by Andrew-T on 06/12/2009 at 16:16

Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - zookeeper
some people dont know how lucky they are, apart from sundays i have to park roughly 800 yards away from my flat because of yellow lines everywhere...but you dont hear me complaining, double drive indeed!!!
I'm well aware that my neighbour and his visitors can legally park opposite my drive but I don't think its too much to expect some consideration from others. I have been putting up with this guy for about four years now and in the past have even allowed him to use my drive whilst he had a skip parked on his for a month or so, but now my patience is exhausted.

I know its petty to indulge in 'parking games' for revenge but taking the moral high ground hasn't done me any good so far, so I've decided to play him at his own game. All I'm doing is excercising my right to park legally (albeit inconsiderately) in the street, he shouldn't have a problem with that should he?

Edited by merganser on 06/12/2009 at 16:20

Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - gordonbennet
I know its petty to indulge in 'parking games' for revenge but taking the moral
high ground hasn't done me any good so far so I've decided to play him
at his own game.

Oh dear MG you sounded like a reasonable chap, and you are going into a peeing contest with someone who sounds like they're quite good at it, trying to teach someone who obviously cares not a jot about his neighbours will end in tears.

I await the outcome with a resigned sigh, good luck with this you'll need it.
...yeah, its posh here...

...see what I mean Ifi?...

Altea,

I'll refrain from pointing out the missing apostrophe 'cos I'm starting to lean towards your way of thinking on this one. :)

...yeah its posh here...
...see what I mean Ifi?...
Altea
I'll refrain from pointing out the missing apostrophe 'cos I'm starting to lean towards your
way of thinking on this one. :)

I'll have a word with the local busy body watch here, we might let you have a plot after all.
... we might let you have a plot after all...

Aw, thanks Altea.

I always said you toffs wuz alright, really.

And just 'cos I wipe me nose on me sleeve don't make me a bad person, does it?

>>but you dont hear
me complaining double drive indeed!!!

>>
It's tough here, if I have four cars on my drive I can't get the fifth one in or out of my garage.
The thing is with a situation like this is that we surmise, assume and speculate, but no one knows the actual factuals of this matter (any pics?)
I have (in my time) been both the offender and the offended where inconsiderate parking has occurred, and I've been right every time :-)
The real problem is that your road is just too damn narrow.
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - ForumNeedsModerating
The only mistake so far Merganser, has been your request to the neighbour - although it's difficult to guess peoples' reactions in advance of course. Far more effective not to have said anything - it's now become an issue. Some people seem to like causing annoyance (viz, your neighbour's wife's comment..) & relish opportunities to cause further irritation.
I doubt now, whether you'll get any co-operation from the irritants at all, so, while trying to lessen collateral damage to nice neighbours, I would park on the road occasionally and/or advise any visitors to do so.

It's surely more convenient for you to do this, and since the irritants have shown they consider this ok for them & their visitors, it's should be fine for you & yours too.

It's not petty to do this - as you can't put yourself at disadvantage by being scrupulously fair & must now accept the changed dynamic.

Forget the unhelpful comments posted here & don't be tempted into car-bumping retaliation as some have suggested.

Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - barney100
Sadly I believe there is no legal bar to parking opposite a drive, we get it once in a while and there is nothing i can do either.
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - Armitage Shanks {p}
Obviously OP's neighbour isn't a very nice person or has a short memory! OP says that he once let said neighbour park on his drive for a month while neighbour had a skip on HIS drive.
Woodbines - thankyou for your considered post, I mostly agree with what you are saying. Its interesting that you say my only 'mistake' was in raising the issue with my neighbours, but what else could I do? If you have a problem with someone, surely the right thing to do is to raise the issue with them and hope that it can be resolved. Sadly though, this often doesn't work.

On a related note, to illustrate the type of person I'm dealing with, one of my other neighbours also has a dispute with this pair (not parking related) which ended up with him almost being arrested on two occasions following malicious accusations.

One another occasion this pair again parked their car inconsiderately (though not opposite my drive), and it was damaged by an unknown vehicle, so they called the police and accused my other neighbour of deliberately damaging their car despite having no proof whatsoever. Fortunately for my (good) neighbour he happened to have a rock solid alibi so managed to escape further entanglement with the police (he had been involved in a serious RTA 50 miles away at the time).
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - b308
Pleasant sort then! From your description of him I'd suggest that you are going to have to learn to live with it, otherwise you may get even more hassle, of the wrong sort... though if the other person who parks there is indeed a copper you could always try and find out where he's based and complain to his boss... though you have admitted yourself that he is not actually obstructing you so I doubt you'd have a case...
Yeah your right, I doubt if I'd get anywhere complaining about the copper. Although I've had the same car/person park opposite me on several occasions, its only now I've realised that their visitor was a cop. Perhaps explains why my unpleasant neighbours seem to be able to get the police to do their bidding.

Edited by merganser on 06/12/2009 at 20:48

so you have descended to his level and completely lost your moral high ground

smart - real smart.
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - tack
Isn't this how WW2 started? It's amazing how territorial people get about parking. A neighbour of mine used to park his car in the street outside his house during the day to stop people parking there, then he'd put it on the drive at night. I am sure people have been murdered over parking disputes.
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - Bill Payer
A neighbour of mine used to park his car in the street outside his house during the
day to stop people parking there then he'd put it on the drive at night.

>>
My grandad used to do that. It's something many people used to do - get the car out in the morning and put it away again at night.
My daughter is renting a bungalow in an area mainly occupied by old people and several of her neighbours do it.

Edited by Bill Payer on 07/12/2009 at 09:12

so you have descended to his level and completely lost your moral high ground

smart - real smart.

That's not relevant - it's not a question of morals or high ground here. The OP is simply demonstrating the inconvenience this causes in the most direct way - by example - since appeals to better nature have obviously failed.
ah but it is. One has now completely lost the right to complain to anyone in any way Official or otherwise. Ones status as an aggrieved and inconvenienced party is severely diluted.

Tho I can sympathise, clearly this episode has brought on some form of paranoia.

its only now I've realised that their visitor was a cop. Perhaps explains why my unpleasant neighbours seem to be able to get the police to do their bidding.

Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - Avant
Difficult. All I can suggest is that if you're changing your car make sure your next one has a tight turning circle. They do vary - my Octavia estate can turn in a smaller circle than SWMBO's Mini Cooper. My old Z3 is better still, probably because it's RWD.

Also I think that reversing into your drive is a better suggestion than you give it credit for.

Edited by Avant on 06/12/2009 at 22:18

The replacement car will be an Octavia hatch.
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - Jcoventry
I can understand why this situation is inconvenient for the OP, but reversing into the driveway shouldn't be too hard really.

I am not fortunate enough to even have a driveway or garage, so have to park on the road. Getting a space outside my house is always easy, but the idiot neighbour decided to start trying to box me in - he started parking his car much closer to mine. So I just kept leaving myself more space between my car and the one behind it. Besides, I don't use my car nearly as regularly as he uses his - he usually leaves every morning to goto work, leaving me plenty of space to pull out. What a tool.
Traffic densities are generally lower in the North East, so most people can get the space outside their house.

I park in the back yard - taking another car off the street - but even that has its problems.

Arrived home a few months ago to find a skip on the other side of the back lane, effectively blocking my entrance to anything bigger than a bubble car.

Skip user - the bloke whose back yard entrance is opposite mine - was quite dismissive of my complaint, even though he knows I'm in and out of my back yard most days.

No consideration whatsoever.

So time for a bit of direct action.

Another neighbour had a friend round whose car had a tow bar.

I have a tow rope, so we dragged the part-filled skip the yard or so needed for me to get access.

I thought my £9.99 tow rope would snap, but bless it, it did the job.

If I ever have a skip, I will be tempted to do unto him as he did unto me.

But two wrongs don't make a right, so I know I won't do it.

Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - turbo11
My elderly parents had the same problem with someone continuously blocking their drive. Despite continuously asking the driver not to block the drive. the problem persisted untill "someone accidently" reversed at speed into the culprit. The damage to the errant parker was to wing,drivers door and rear passenger door. The reversing car required some t-cut to the bumper. No problem, since then.
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - dieseldogg
See Me & the missis both always reverse in and drive away
Since one has NO idea how blearey eyed one will be in the morning.
I therefore get gey annoyed at dorks who "think" they have the God given "right" to reverse out into traffic. So hand on horn and keep driving.
Other than this particiular foible I am a most considerate driver.
Cheers
M
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - Badwolf
Many years ago, when I were nobbut a lad, my grandparents lived in a narrow cul-de-sac. My dad parked outside their house when we visited. The car was never opposite the drive of the house directly across from my grandparents' house but this didn't stop the thoroughly unpleasant man from that house calling the police as he maintained that he could not get out of his drive due to my dad's car. The buffoon could easily have backed out of his drive the 'other' way and gone up to the head of the cul-de-sac to turn round but he was so full of his own self-importance that he had to involve the old bill.

To the OP - do you often have two cars parked on your drive? If the answer is 'no', then why on earth don't you reverse in and save yourself all this aggravation? I know that the fella across the road is acting like a plank and it must be very annoying for you but surely you should follow the path of least resistance? Easy for me to say, I know, but is it worth getting so het up over?
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - FotheringtonThomas
Don't park your car actually in your driveway until "later", if you see what I mean.

Oh - I see you're already doing it.

Edited by FotheringtonThomas on 07/12/2009 at 13:28

Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - Mick Snutz
Why don't you buy some of those stick on scratches. From memory, Halfords used to sell them along with those stick on bullet holes and false arms that hang out of your boot.

Sneak out late one night and stick them to the other guy's driver door.

;-)
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - Westpig
If you have space for 2 cars, entrance/exit space for 2 cars, usually only have 1 car there and parking is a bit tight in the street....then what on earth is the problem?

...or is it the 'principle involved'....because when principles get involved I find that usually common sense goes out the window.

Reverse in, it's what people should do anyway, so you don't commit an offence reversing out onto the road.

Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - Alanovich
Reverse in it's what people should do anyway so you don't commit an offence reversing
out onto the road.

Absolutely agree 100% that one should always reverse in to driveways, never out. My father was killed by someone reversing out of a driveway. But what specific offence is committed when reversing out? The moron involved in that incident was not charged with any offence if I recall correctly (it was 26 years ago and I was a child at the time).
But what specific offence is committed
when reversing out?

www.direct.gov.uk/en/TravelAndTransport/Highwaycod...0

Not an answer to "what offence" but in the HC.

Edited by Old Navy on 08/12/2009 at 10:50

I always reverse in, I even reverse in for the missus because as you know - women can't reverse (IMO)
I should imagine that no law is actually broken whilst reversing but - you're always in the wrong (legally) even when you're in the right.
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - pda
>>>> women can't reverse (IMO)<<<<

Perro, shame on you:)

In the words of a typical lorry driver ''I've done more miles in reverse than you've done forwards and never hit anything yet''!

Pat
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - Alanovich
My missus has recently managed, in reverse, to run the rear nearside corner of our Touran down a concrete lampost at the corner of our drive. On the exact day that I picked my Mazda up from the bodyshop after getting its front bumper replaced.

Gah.
In the words of a typical lorry driver ''I've done more miles in reverse than
you've done forwards and never hit anything yet''!
Pat

Thats slighty wrong Pat. It should be

In the words of a typical lorry driver ''I've done more miles in reverse than
you've done forwards and always denied I hit anything''
But of course:)

Pat
>>> Perro, shame on you:) <<<

(hehe!) A Thousand apologies memsahib, if there's one area I continually fall down on it's generalization & I've been pulled up for that more times than you've not hit anything :)
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - tack
The best "harmless" and most fun revenge you can have is to buy a cheap "made in china harmonica" for about 99p. Tape it to the bottom of the front valance of the miscreants car. They will scratch their heads for weeks wondering what the heck the noise is, especially at motorway speeds.
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - Armitage Shanks {p}
In the "Old Days", when cars had steel wheels and hub caps like chromed suacepan lids great fun could be had by putting a handful of gravel in one hub cap. Horrendous noise when moving and silence when stopped.
Make a turning area in your front garden adjacent to (joining up with) your drive so that you can go both in and out forwards.
Dig down under your house then you can drive out the other side - simples.
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - danensis
Suggest to the council that they dig up all the front gardens and build a dual-carriageway.
good idea - widen the road and everyone benefits.
That would probably involve demolishing my neighbour's house, so maybe not a bad idea!
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - Jcoventry
That would probably involve demolishing my neighbour's house so maybe not a bad idea!

Have you considered moving to an area where there are fewer neighbours or even no neighbours at all? :-) I guess we can all dream.
>>> or even no neighbours at all <<<

I tried that a few years back, I only had one neighbour ... we fell out (I'm not joking btw.)
... only had one neighbour ...

Perro,

Shouldn't that be padmate?

>>> Shouldn't that be padmate? <<<

paws for thought!
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - SteelSpark
Isn't this how WW2 started?

Not sure, but apparently WW1 started when some fella called Archie Duke shot an ostrich 'cos he was hungry.

merganser - I am intrigued by this situation, but am trying to imagine exactly how difficult the parking situation is. Any chance of a suitably anonymised photo, or quick sketch to rough scale?
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - dieseldogg
Bound to be somewhere in Australia with enough room.
I can't see the problem, why don't people choose houses to suit their requirements?

Including parking.
That's one requirement that can change very suddenly though
As parking is high on some peoples list of priorities, I would have thought more consideration would be given to it when choosing where to live.
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - jbif
As parking is high on some peoples list of priorities, I would have thought more consideration would be given to it when choosing where to live. >>

You can choose your location and neighbours carefully when you buy, but the day after you move in you may find that the neighbours you chose are moving on and have sold out to new neighbours from hell. ;-)

I live in a lovely neighbourhood with all the neighbours on very good terms, with plenty of on and off street parking. However, I suffer from the same problem (albeit on very few days of the year) from exactly the same type of inconsiderate parking as the OP. The irritating thing is, there is plenty of space on the road but the particular visitor in question always parks opposite my drive.

Edited by jbif on 09/12/2009 at 11:14

... I would have thought more consideration would be given to it when choosing where to live...

Yes, but as PU says, things can change a few years down the line:

Partner get different job and needs a car.
Adult son splits with his wife and moves back 'home'.
Children learn to drive and want their own transport.
Let a room to a student who has his own car.
Job change brings works van.
Spare cash means chance to dabble wth a classic.
Child's hobby needs garage space, so car has to live outside.
Garage needed for unexpected new arrival, so car has to live outside.
Family needs a trailer for any number of reasons.

The list could go on, and on and...

iffitelps you forgot one :-

You blow your pension on a stable if always wanted cars :-(
Yes but as PU says things can change a few years down the line:

You may end up driving a mobility scooter and cease to have problems entering/leaving your drive. There but for the grace of God etc.
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - teabelly
In my old house I had plenty of off street parking but those without would continually block the drive or park so close to it to make getting out safely a nightmare. Even with white lines the bozos would leave parts of their car overhanging. Reversing in wasn't really possible as there were always people parked opposite the drive and the angle required not to hit the house and squeeze past into the yard wasn't do-able by me. Reversing out turned out to be much safer as I could see further up the road and when I couldn't see the back end of the car was clealy visible to those approaching. Generally I could actually turn round on the drive and both drive in and drive out but with too many cars at one point not all of them could be turned round in the space left!

The main perpetrator had their comeuppance as while they were away one weekend a joyrider slammed into their car and wrote it off. They stopped parking there and finally took to parking outside their own house.
After a couple of days of blocking my neighbours drive in the same manner he has been doing to me, I feel the point has been made and my car is back on the drive. Word on the grapevine is that they were none too happy about it, so hopefully they will behave a bit better in the future.

If they don't, I may find some creative uses for a potato (cheers perro).
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - Dynamic Dave
If they don't I may find some creative uses for a potato (cheers perro).

Let's hope for your sake that he doesn't read this forum, seeing as you've just publicly announced your intentions towards his car.

Personally I don't know what you're getting all het up about. You don't own the road he parks on. You've also admitted that you've got a drive wide enough for two cars and therefore have ample room to manoeuvre in and out.

And what's your solution to the problem? Doing exactly the same thing as him - how childish.

I guess it's as someone else said, it's just a territorial thing.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 10/12/2009 at 00:55

Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - George Porge
>>
Let's hope for your sake that he doesn't read this forum seeing as you've just
publicly announced your intentions towards his car.

I read it as a joke! Builders expanding foam works much better in conjunction with a long piece of plastic pipe............................ ;o)

Personally I don't know what you're getting all het up about. You don't own the
road he parks on. You've also admitted that you've got a drive wide enough for
two cars and therefore have ample room to manoeuvre in and out.

I have the same problem, we have a double width drive and 2 cars on it, directly opposite their drive, sonny owns 2 cosworths and his daily that he uses as a security gate to protect his precious fleet. They've stood and watched me struggle out of my drive, "I'm OK, don't care about you".

And what's your solution to the problem? Doing exactly the same thing as him -
how childish.

I did the same as OP after sonny went to work I parked in a similar fashion inconveniencing mummy and daddy for 10 hours, the situation has been 98% better since, a result in my book
I guess it's as someone else said it's just a territorial thing.

Not at all, give an inch and they take a mile. I've had a situation where I've arrived home after a night shift the street was completely full of badly parked cars, so much so that I couldn't park on my vacant drive and guess what, Halfords had sold out of sky hooks!
>>> And what's your solution to the problem? Doing exactly the same thing as him - how childish.
<<<

Without knowing the full facts of this matter, it's difficult to pass judgment either way IMO but I can imagine a scenario where the access road is far too narrow - like on so many new builds these days whereby having someone (quite legally) park opposite ones driveway would create difficulties.
Karl Benz has got a lot to answer for!
Without knowing the full facts of this matter it's difficult to pass judgment either way
... I can imagine a scenario where the access road is far too narrow
- like on so many new builds these days whereby having someone (quite legally) park
opposite ones driveway would create difficulties.

This is exactly the situation, a new build estate with a road that is only just wide enough for two focus sized cars to pass. Most of the drives in the street are opposite one another, meaning that people don't park opposite them as it would not be possible to do so without blocking someone elses drive. In my case there is a grass service strip on the other side of the road in front of my house, so people think its OK to park there because they aren't directly blocking a drive.

In most cases when people park opposite my drive they do so with their car parked mostly on the service strip which doesn't cause too much of a problem, but if its parked entirely on the road as happened over the weekend it does cause difficulty.

Although my drive is double width, it is only just wide enough for two cars so if there is a second car on the drive, you don't have much room to manouver if some one has parked opposite. A normal reverse out would involve reversing until your rear wheel contacts the service strip, so if anything is parked more or less opposite it does get in the way, even if mostly parked on the service strip.
I love the next step of escaltion. "If he parks there again I will disable his car"

Well that will remove the obstruction - not.
Well done merganser. They irritants do sound like a slightly bullying crowd from your descriptions anyway, so asserting yourself in this way could have deflated them somewhat.

Often it's a case of lack of imagination - they couldn't perceive their (parking) actions as anything other than ok & what suited them. You've now lessened that imaginative shortfall
so they understand, a little better the social 'cause & effect' principle & idea of c-o-m-m-u-n-i-t-y. You have to make allowance for slow learners!

Just as in the Pavlovian experiments with slavering dogs, if the lesson needs re-inforcing at regular intervals to hard-wire the respect for others' principle, it should be done immediately so the cause & effect idea isn't lost on them.

To heighten the effectiveness, I suggest you act perfectly normally - in fact be a little 'kinder' if you can; perhaps keep a guile-less smile on your face at all times & don't spurn an opportunity for a cheery 'good morning' etc.

Finally, I would caution against any escalation - don't make it easy for their (probable) sense of grievance at this learning experience to crystallize on any hostile act they can latch on to; so the ideas some posters have about forms of physical retaliation/damage
should be firmly resisted.

Do keep us up to date!
I like the Pavlovian dogs analogy.
I've watched all of this thread in amazement!

Surely the answer is to reverse into your drive but there seems a certain reluctance to do what is, after all, the safer option?

Is being stubborn really worth it?

Pat
Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - whisk4eva

Hi Merganser,

Did you ever get this matter resolved ?

Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - nortones2

Probably too busy ducking and diving. Groan:)

Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - Avant

We haven't heard fom him sinc 2010 so we shll probably never know. Perhaps he learned how to reverse into his driveway and avoid the problem.

Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - FoxyJukebox

For me this is all about inconsideration,bad manners-plus ignorance.Thus here are a couple of innocent "get back at 'em" tricks to consider

I would suggest you do nothing for a week--then when it's quiet and dark-go out with a moderatly loaded rag containing white liquid car polish and streak once and long on an area of the car furthest away from your property. The impact of this is that in the morning when it has dried hard, the owner on approaching the car might think it has been heavily scaped by another motorist (not you-of course!). They might even go as far as ringing their insurance company and making a claim-rather than carefully examining , cleaning and maybe re-positioing their vehicle?...another little trick .......crawl out carefully before dawn maybe-and scatter very small bits of tasty bread all over the roof. This will be a lovely gun fire cereal breaky for the birds when they wake up and start their activities!

Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - MSW
I have a long running problem where one of my neighbours or his visitors park opposite my drive which can make reversing out of my drive tricky. My street is very narrow so even a small obstruction can cause problems - usually the cars are parked partly on the verge which gives a bit more room but for the last three days I have had a visitor's car parked entirely on the road opposite my drive which has been a real nuisance. The car has moved a couple of times and each time it returns it parks in the same spot. I have politely asked the owner of the car to move it and he refused, saying there was nowhere else he could park (not true) and that as there are no parking restrictions, he is within his rights to park there. My neighbours wife then smuggly informed me that the owner of the car is a policeman and can therefore do as he pleases! I have contacted the police about the obstruction (as has one of my other neighbours) and have been told that provided I can get my car out of my drive, they won't get involved. I have tried to explain to the police that the only reason I can get my car out is because I have a double width drive and only one car, so have more room to manouvre. If I had a second car on the drive, I would be unable to get out without driving over parts of my garden. Effectively the obstruction means that visitors are unable to park on my drive which obviously puts even more pressure on available parking. Can anyone tell me what the law is with regard to causing an obstruction, is there a legal definition? Were the police telling me the truth, or was I just being fobbed off?

Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - MSW

Lots of sympathy. My street is like a war zone with not abandoned cars, though sometimes you'd think they were the way they park. Pass your driving test then ignore all the rules seems to be the way it is round here. No regard for anyone. If you're in a wheelchair, pushing a pram then you're on the road as no way of getting past on pavements. People can't or won't park on drives or see need to have more cars than they need. It would be quite funny watching the way some of them park if it wasn't so b***** dangerous. Fire engines, ambulances have no chance in an emergency so really hope that it's one of their houses emergency services need to reach and can't because thicko has parked their car in such a way that they won't get past.Got one woman who reverses onto her drive to empty her shopping into house then goes and parks like an idiot on the pavement. Makes my blood boil.Only my wife reigning me in that stops me banging on doors but always hope that some runaway vehicle will come down our street and wipe a few of these cars out. Serve them right. How are they going to explain to their insurance companies when they've probably told them they park on drive.

Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - up north

Live on a new 'new build estate' and 2 bed houses have one parking bay and 3 bed two. If anyone parks on the road you can't get your car off the drive because the road isn't wide enough. So visitors park on the path because there is no other option. The developer is to blame and the local authority. Off street parking bays for visitors. A wider road. Simple.

Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - galileo

Live on a new 'new build estate' and 2 bed houses have one parking bay and 3 bed two. If anyone parks on the road you can't get your car off the drive because the road isn't wide enough. So visitors park on the path because there is no other option. The developer is to blame and the local authority. Off street parking bays for visitors. A wider road. Simple.

You have identified the guilty parties who have caused this problem all over the country:

1) Greedy developers who want to squeeze as many jerry built hovels as [possible on the plot they've bought (hence garages too narrow for modern cars)

2) Greedy local authority planners who are widely believed to receive brown envelopes or other inducements from the said developers to approve planning applications. (recent examples of approval to build on land which has flooded every winter for years, despite local protests: claim this is mandated by central government housing rules)

3) Developers allowed to change details such as reducing the number of affordable' houses, as they are less profitable, claiming the contribution to facilities originally specified makes the scheme unprofitable, so are allowed to delete the obligatio

None of this will be a surprise, politicians of all kinds in all positions claim to care about their electors but invariably care more about themselves.

Inconsiderate parking - what can I do? - galileo

Further supporting evidence, this morning I read that a number of Protected 200 - year old oak trees have been illegally lopped at a planned development: will the local council prosecute the guilty parties? Will a 100 to 1 outsider win the Grand National on Saturday? Comparable odds, I think.