Easy to fix car? - Paul Robinson
In the Mondeo TDCI thread, Workshop Tech suggests 'For the family man who pays his own way a popular car that is easy to fix is the best proposition'.

So what is a popular car that is easy to fix these day?
Easy to fix car? - bell boy
Dacia Sandero
a basic car with no flim flam
a car of yesterday for today and could retail for £8500 easily
but renault wont import it
a very popular car in eastern europe for a very good reason
and according to the DT write up last week it can take british speed bumps in old fashioned renault 16 ease
Easy to fix car? - Robin Reliant
My SiL has a new Agila courtesy of the scrappage scheme. Looking under the bonnet I was surprised how accessible everything seemed, even compared to my vintage Mondeo.
Easy to fix car? - madf
The easiest to fix car is the one that does not require to be fixed.
Easy to fix car? - Old Navy
Now that some individual car parts are not available and a replacement "unit" has to be fitted, will we see the sealed for life engine, (oil and filter change only), or are we nearly there already. When did you last get an engine reconditioned?

Edited by Old Navy on 01/12/2009 at 15:59

Easy to fix car? - piston power
Discovery.

There high enough to climb under to service & don't usually go wrong.

It all depends on you are you competent with spanners?
Easy to fix car? - Lou_O
Discovery.
There high enough to climb under to service & don't usually go wrong.

Eh?

Discovery has to be one of the most unreliable cars of the last few years.

Must be true, HJ says so:

www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=689
www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=815

Easy to fix car? - DP
Discovery has to be one of the most unreliable cars of the last few years.
Must be true HJ says so:
www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=689
www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/index.htm?md=815

My dad has a 97 300 TDI auto Disco and it's been brilliant. 145,000 miles on it now and apart from a noisy lift pump and split fuel hose, not a single thing has gone wrong with it. A bit of rust here and there these days, but still feels unburstable.
Easy to fix car? - perro
>>> There high enough to climb under to service & don't usually go wrong. <<<

Shouldn't this be under the funnies thread :-)
Easy to fix car? - Altea Ego
or are we nearly there already. When did you last get an engine reconditioned?

you wont ever need one. With regular oil and filter changes, and provinding nothing major breaks (like cam belt) an enine will do 250k miles.

when was the last time you heard of rebores being required? or big ends gone?
Easy to fix car? - Jcoventry
Old Ford Ka/Ford Fiesta - both pretty much same underneath, basic mechanics, easy to access all the various parts. Nothing very complex, especially if you happen to have such an old one that it has no A/C and no electric mirrors/windows.
Easy to fix car? - Altea Ego
The lancer I bought looks like a breeze. There appears to be loads of space round the engine, everything looks easy to get at, injectors, plugs, throttle body, co2 sensor, filters etc.

I can get a cable and monitoring software for 100 quid.

Looks easy peazy.
Easy to fix car? - CraigP
I want to hate my better half's Golf Mk4 1.6 petrol, totally prefer BMWs, but all said and done, it's a pretty simple car to work on, in fact i think the only "special" tool you'll need for even pretty serious stuff (like clutch replacement) is a set of spline headed drivers, and you can pick up a reasonable set of them for £20.

Having said that, i can think of one task that should be simple but isnt on that car -- spark plugs. Pretty much require you remove the intake manifold, unless you've got girls hands.