Why no AWD saloon models from BMW and M-B? - Lou_O
Why don't BMW and M-B bring the 4wd versions of their saloons/estates to the UK?

In other parts of the world there are E Class, S Class, 3 and 5 series with 4wd, but not here.

Is it that the cars would be too expensive for the market, LHD/RHD integration problems or not wanting to cannibalise sales of X3,X5 and ML?

Perhaps it's all of those and factors and more, anyone have a more definite idea?

Audi sell plenty of quattro's with a decent markup on the 2wd equivalent., I'm surprised that the other players haven't gone for a piece of that market.
Why no AWD saloon models from BMW and M-B? - Old Navy
May be because we have a warmer wetter maritime climate compared to most of Europe and the small market for 4x4 cars doesn't warrant the the cost of RHD versions. I don't know the proportion of 4x4 cars (as opposed to SUV's) sold by those who sell them but I wouldn't think it is a lot.

Edited by Old Navy on 30/11/2009 at 16:08

Why no AWD saloon models from BMW and M-B? - Old Navy
Late edit -

If the manufacturers of 4x4 cars are building lots of LHD 4x4 cars it's no hassle to export some to LHD markets as premium models..
Why no AWD saloon models from BMW and M-B? - WellKnownSid
I have a copy of 4x4 magazine (Spain) somewhere... and have to say it's astonishing just how many 4wd cars there are that the UK just don't see.

Audi have one of the biggest ranges (obviously) - but MB come a close 2nd with Volvo third and BMW trailing behind. We also have cars like the Opel (Vauxhall) Insignia, Skoda Octavia and Superb, and the Saab 9-3 with 4WD too.
Why no AWD saloon models from BMW and M-B? - Lou_O
Audi have one of the biggest ranges (obviously) - but MB come a close 2nd
with Volvo third and BMW trailing behind. We also have cars like the Opel (Vauxhall)
Insignia Skoda Octavia and Superb and the Saab 9-3 with 4WD too.

Octavia and Superb available with 4wd here too.
Why no AWD saloon models from BMW and M-B? - Alanovich
I suspect many people in this country will only pay for 4WD if they can be seen to driving something with 4WD, to make sure everyone else thinks they're minted and have horses in the country. I.e. a big SUV type thing, or a Subaru, which everyone knows is almost guaranteed to have 4WD.

I expect that's why manufacturers consistently push SUVs here and don't try to sell many 4WD, standard looking saloon cars. Which is a shame.
Why no AWD saloon models from BMW and M-B? - Altea Ego
Most merc, audi and BMW purchases in the UK are company cars. The CO2 emissions of 4x4's are worse than the the normal cars so suffer a higher BiK tax value,