97 1.8 Instrument Panel - hairybob
My rev counter and fuel gauge are playing up. The rev counter is sticking at 2000 rpm, and only comes unstuck if I press or tap the plastic screen. And the fuel gauge drops to zero sometimes, and comes back up when I go round corners. I am thinking of getting one from the scrappers but I need to know is the mileage stored in the ECU or the Intrument panel.
Anyhelp Cheers
97 1.8 Instrument Panel - elekie&a/c doctor
The odometer/mileage info is only in the instrument pod on this year 406.So whatever is on the s/h pod will be displayed.hth
So to make sure I got this right. If I change the intrument panel the mileage that was on the car the second hand panel came from will be displayed. That could mean its a bad move because it could put hundreds of miles on the car. Is there anyway I can enter the mileage on to the s/h unit to keep it right.
97 1.8 Instrument Panel - Dynamic Dave
Is there anyway I can enter the mileage on to the s/h unit to keep it right.

Quite a few advertisers in the rear of car magazines claim they can do mileage correction. Without going into too much detail, a digital odometer is usually easier to alter than an old mechanical one. Laptop, some software & a cable is generally used.

Personally though, I would just record the mileage of the existing odometer, note the date it was changed, along with the odometer reading of the replacement in the service book (or some other document relating to the car), and then show this info upon selling the car. Perhaps even take a couple of photos with a newspaper date nearby for evidence of the before and after odometer change.
97 1.8 Instrument Panel - mjm
Before you ditch your own panel have a good look for bad/dry solder connections on the back of it. These have been known. If you are getting a used unit there is no guarantee that it hasn't got the same faults developing. If you have got the tacho working by giving the panel an encouraging slap then, together with the other gauge not working, it sounds like a connection problem.
97 1.8 Instrument Panel - agcode
i too had this problem.read the thread posted by reggie whre i posted my solution.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?f=4&t=74...3

agcode:)

Edited by agcode on 30/11/2009 at 17:05

Thanks for the feedback on this. I have decided to have a look at the unit for signs of bad solder joints etc, and will let you know how I get on. Just got to get some dry weather thats the hard part. bob

I know its been a while but I thought I would let you know. Quick fix I bought a second hand one off e-bay, and it works fine.

bob