05 1.8 Recommended oil & timing chain noise. - perro
My 30,000 mile 05 1.8 petrol Almera has always been serviced by a Nissan dealer using 0w-30 Elf or Total oil (French)
I have noticed on some cold starts, especially if not used for a day - that the timing chain is making its presence heard for a few seconds and although the car is no-way due for a service I think I'll change the oil anyway - just to be on the 'safe side'
So. the question is - what is the best oil to use for max protection on cold starts?
Using the opieoil site + my own experience I'm contemplating using Castrol Edge Turbo Diesel @ £40 a throw.
Although this oil was designed for TD's its also recommended for petrol engines.
I reckon this oil is one of the highest performing engine oils on the market.
The spec is as follows:

?VW 502 00, VW 505 00, VW 505 01
?Mercedes MB 229.51
?BMW Longlife-04 / BMW LL-04
?Ford WSS-M2C917-A (WSS M2C917A)
?ACEA A3/B3, ACEA A3/B4, ACEA C3
?API SM/CF

Can any see a reason *not* to use this oil in my petrol engine?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 29/11/2009 at 14:16

Almera timing chains - ifithelps
...using the opieoils site...

perro,

One of the guys from opieoils used to post on here as 'oilman'.

Seemed to know what he was talking about, and as opie are local to you, I'd be inclined to have a word on Monday.

www.honestjohn.co.uk/index.php?url=/forum/search.h...m

Almera timing chains - bathtub tom
I'd be tempted to change the car, not the oil.

My own Almera's around the 30K mark and I listen very carefully on cold starts. I'll flog it without compunction if it starts rattling.

I did a timing chain job on a Micra years ago. I don't want to do another similar. I ain't getting any younger!
Almera timing chains - perro
Cheers iffy, I was quite surprised to see opieoil's Ph. No. was Cornwall,

comrade bathtub, I know what you're saying but its just annoying to suffer from these inherent weakness's in a 21st century Jap car (with a French chain)
I'ma gonna stick this high spec oil in and see how it goes from there :)
Watch this space!
Almera timing chains - bell boy
they all do it a bit even mine,dont beat yourself up over it,its only a car dear ;-)
>>> they all do it a bit even mine,dont beat yourself up over it,its only a car dear <<<

Yea! I realise that bb & it'll probably go on for another 100k ... probably.
Almera timing chains - Lygonos
Thcker oil *may* quieten down the rattle, but I doubt it will make the chain last longer than a 0W-30 oil that will be circulating as quickly as anything else you can find.

Regular oil changes are the key.

If the noise is getting worse, then get rid. If it stays the same or improves in warmer weather then don't worry.
Almera timing chains - WorkshopTech
Stretched timing chains on these engines are well known to the trade. we take the cover off and look to see how far the tensioner is projecting, more than about 10mm and get rid.
The key is not fancy expensive oils, its use the standard spec oil but change it every 6000 miles or 6 months maximum, and use a genuine Nissan filter.
Almera timing chains - John F
Yes, my work colleague has one - the engine management light is permanently on owing to a 'stretched timing chain' - only 70,000 or so. As repair would cost more than the elderly car I advised her to just keep it until it breaks down. Was I right? What might happen? It actually sounds and drives fine. She says it's 'sluggish'. Is the engine management system compromised?
And should not this thread be in 'Technical Matters'?
Almera timing chains - Dynamic Dave
And should not this thread be in 'Technical Matters'?

Yep ----> kick.

Thanks guys, my thinking with a 'top spec' oil was that it would be more likely to adhere to the chain etc., and hence give max protection on cold starts.
Re: changing oil every 6 months/6ooom - that's exactly what HJ advised me when I 'discovered' him in the Telegraph nearly 3 years ago, so I'd better get on & do it :-)
>>> One of the guys from opieoils used to post on here as 'oilman'. <<<

I received a prompt reply from opieoils and they suggested Motul X-lite or Gulf Competition engine oil because the Ester based oils leave a thin film of oil all over the engine internals - even when its not running, which reminds me of my Molyslip days, so I'll be taking that route for max protection on cold start up.