Front brake pad and disc wear. - jimbob91
My 2003 car had the brake pads and discs changed at the dealers at 44,000 miles - and now after a service at another gargae (non-dealer) I'm told that I need a new set of discs and pads again - this at 75,000 miles (cost around 280 pounds - again!). I used to own a Carina and never had a problem with discs. I think I saw on a previous post that Bosch pads were too hard, so does anyone have any suggestions on a make that won't wear out every 35000 miles?

Front brake pad and disc wear. - Mike H
Are you sure you need them now? I don't know anything about the Carina, but if the service interval is 12,000 miles and you don't normally frequent garages between services, perhaps what they are really saying is that you will need them before they next see the car - hence they feel they should replace them now. Or have your driving habits changed? What are the relative timescales?
Front brake - Falkirk Bairn
Asbestos is banned.
Pads are now more metallic and these wear so does the disc
Discs are now looked on as consumables................like tyres, wipers etc
Front brake pad and disc wear. - jimbob91
I'll find out tomorrow as I am having the discs and pads changed at another garage and these are a different make.

I believe that the regulations have chnaged on disc wear anyway with the nanny state we have now.

I know Asbestos is banned and a good thing too, but that doesn't excuse having to change the fronts every 36K miles - and I am actually driving slower and using the brakes gentler than I used to do. The only slight change is more town driving than before but not by much.
Front brake pad and disc wear. - WorkshopTech
Dont know what you mean about nanny state. There are no regulations on disc wear, min disc thickness is determined by disc manufacturer and usually stamped on the disc. We also advise customer to change discs if they are warped, cracked or scored, or uneven wear like rippling.
I have been working on cars as qualified mechanic for 32 years and would say brakes are better than ever and mostly last as long. Pads are harder and last longer, discs wear a bit more. Overall its all the same. We see plenty of cars on their original discs at 70k+, others only last 20k. Cars are heavier, more powerful and accelerate quicker. I think we all drive a bit harder than we used to, nobody has got time to live these days so late braking is the rule.
We service Toyotas and I would say they are average for brake wear. £200 all in for the job is a fair price.
Front brake pad and disc wear. - madf
Do you wash your wheels with a hose? And then leave the car?

If so the disks will rust more quickly than normal.

Do you brake gently? and never brake hard? If so, your disks may ppit with rust.

Lots of variables.

Are you near the sea? If so salt corrosion...
Do you drive on muddy roads? If so, you will get disk erosion from grit..