Guess AE's new car - Altea Ego
Well. I am shortly to have what my company calls a "life event". I am to retire early in the next two months. I currently run a company (lease) car which will have to be returned.

I have just purchased a new (second hand) car. Your task is to guess what car I have purchased.

The brief I had for purchase was

3-5 years old, under 40k miles. Petrol, estate, 5 doors, manual, ins group 9 or less, alloys, metalic, aircon, not outstanding ugly, known reliability, budget £5-6k pounds.

Guesses on a post card please, prize is 10 pounds to the charity of your choice,
Guess AE's new car - Gromit {P}
My guess is AE ignored the "known reliability" requirement and bought a Laguna estate 8-)

(My thoroughly biased view is based on SWMBOs two Scenics, the current 2004 one even worse than its 2001 predecessor...)

If I'm right, £10 to the RNLI please.
Guess AE's new car - Pugugly
Skoda Octavia estate.

No need to change your alias again is there ? Congratulations on the retirement - been officially retired for four days. Its tough.;-)
Guess AE's new car - Bagpuss
Ford Mondeo (petrol)
Bagpuss. Mondy made the shortlist and meets all requirements, but another car came up and I snatched it away, so you are wrong too.
Guess AE's new car - rtj70
Well I might know the car so emailed AE instead.... potential insider info :-)

And don't rub in retirements - I wish I could quite. I am thinking what I might do if I quit my job (if I can)... I have ideas and it would have to be something I could do from here and later from a remote island (with broadband).
RTJ70

My email is broke, so you wont get the insider deal, and you are wrong anyway.
To gromit - you are wrong, and i didnt ignore the "reliability" brief the laguna never made the shortlist (if it were reliable a late mk2 goona estate would have romped it)

To PU, The Skoda was considered, but failed to meet the price/age/miles brief. so you are wrong as well

And yes I will change my name - there are no "sangyong musso"'s on here are there?
Opps no that one fails on the "ooutstanding ugly" criteria.
Guess AE's new car - Alby Back
A sensible sort of chap would have at least considered a Mondeo estate.......if they are allowed in Surrey of course ?

Congratulations on your impending freedom, might be a bit jealous....

I've always maintained that when that time comes I shall get a pair of socks tattooed on my ankles to save on bending and having to find clean ones every day ! You will be able to affect a slightly dishevelled look, in a gentlemanly sort of way of course. A bit like Lud allegedly....
Humph, sensible chap that i am, a Mondy estate was on the short list. Alas in weybridge, the modeo spaces are round the corner out of sight in the waitrose car park.
Guess AE's new car - billy25
Well, as you are a very knowledgeable sort of chap, with good taste, i would think you went for a Honda, as you stipulate petrol estate, maybe the accord tourer, and if you are reeeally posh and youthful (ish) I might go so far as to poke my nose in the type-r department! ....so my guess is Honda Accord Tourer type-R!!!
Billy, great choice and i would have fitted the bill perfectly alas does not meet the age/miles/price criteria. If you find one that does my retirement will be short and my wife will be a widow as I will kill myslef..
Guess AE's new car - boxsterboy
My first three ideas have been proved wrong above. 320 Touring?
320 touring (and any 5 touring) would fit the bill except fail the price/age/miles criteria.
Guess AE's new car - Alanovich
Toyota Avensis. Petrol.
So it's not a Mazda6 TS2 then ;-) I wasn't after the prize via email.

So what about a Saab 9-3.
mazda 6 was favourite and nearly bought one but no you are wrong.
Guess AE's new car - bell boy
oh dear hes bought a vauxhall :-(
Guess AE's new car - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}
Passat Estate 1.9 PD?
I'm on 4 days per week and hope to wind down even more.
Avensis? wrong - didnt want to look like a taxi driver from Woking.
Guess AE's new car - Lud
An impeccable middle-mileage Alfa JTD might ring AE's aesthetic bell. He's shrewd but with a sense of fun.

I thought a very nice older BMW 5 series might do it too. But what do I know? Won't be a Jag. There was a very svelte-looking Honda estate a few years back I seem to remember. One of those perhaps.

I hope congratulations are in order AE. I can't afford to retire myself.
Maybe a Volvo V70 or similar?
Guess AE's new car - Lud
C5 Citroen perhaps. Quite likely, that.
Mitsubishi Lancer.
Damn that was quick Alonovich.

A Feb 2007 Mitsubish Lancer estate, still under manufacturers warranty, Under 20k miles, £5795.

whats your charity?
Well blimey O'Reilly.

It's got to be Macmillan Cancer Support, please AE.

Hope you enjoy the car, I've considered one of those myself given their absolute bargain second hand prices.
Guess AE's new car - henry k
A Feb 2007 Mitsubish Lancer estate still under manufacturers warranty Under 20k miles £5795.

What colour? - So those in the borough can either hoot or avoid [:-0>
Colour - metalic blue
Lud.

You dont retire and keep any pension and buy an Alfa. they are mutually incompaible. Gorgeoous as they are.

Gentlemen (and lady truckers) you are all missing the point.

This is a utility purchase. Expensive, pretty but fragile exotica is out of the window,
Not an MG-ZT 2.5l then.
Not an MG-ZT 2.5l then.

I passed one, an estate on the way to buy the car, and i did, for one mad moments, consider it.

This is a utility purchase.

Hence the Avensis guess. I'm thinking that it's gots to be Japanese.
Guess AE's new car - maz64
Great minds think alike, so... Focus estate?

EDIT: oh well...

Edited by Focus {P} on 17/11/2009 at 16:30

Guess AE's new car - dieseldogg
Subaru?
something or other
Legacy
that it
Oh ere I remember
I positively oogled an Alfa 8C? thinngy on Sat
A thinngy of stunning beauty in my non discriminiting eyes
sigh
I had a mid life crisis at 40 am I allowed another one? at 50

Edited by dieseldogg on 17/11/2009 at 16:28

Guess AE's new car - old crocks
Focus C-max Zetec, bright blue, 2-litre
Guess AE's new car - Dipstick
Can we have a sweepstake on how many people will keep guessing the answer long after AE has already wheezed out what it was (see above)?

My vote is seven hundred and four.

Edited by Dipstick on 17/11/2009 at 16:32

Ford Focus C-max, red ;-)

Well done AE. Was it from the dealer down at Ripley you can see from the A3?
Ford Focus C-max red ;-)
Well done AE. Was it from the dealer down at Ripley you can see from
the A3?

That garage closed down.
Guess AE's new car - drbe
>>
That garage closed down.

I drove past the site a week or two back. They had some nice classic cars in the showroom.
Must be reopened then. Not a Mitsubishi dealer any more tho.
Did I see sommat about Lancer above
Needless to say I missed reading it before posting "Subaru"

Edited by dieseldogg on 17/11/2009 at 16:31

I really must learn to type faster
Ok

the shortlist was

Mondeo hatch or estate. (met all requirements of brief)
Octavia estate (they are like chasing rainbows, phone up after them and they have disapeared.)
Mazada 6 hatch or estate (the estates were a bit old tired and leggy in that price range, was about to look at a nice metalic blue TS2 hatch when I bought the one I did)

I looked at a vectra 3.2 litre elite that met all requirements, except I HATE the interior of the Vectra and the insurancee company man died laughing when I mentioned 3.2 litres and a 9 points conviction on the license
Gonna change your handle to "Lancelot" ?

;-)
Guess AE's new car - commerdriver
Jammy wotsit AE, life event was at the wrong time for me so I'm staying for at least a few more years.
My guess is you've gone down the practicality route and gone for a Golf Estate
good luck anyway
Guess AE's new car - Lud
oogled an Alfa 8C? thinngy on Sat
A thinngy of stunning beauty

They are pretty aren't they diesel... there's a black one that parks round the corner sometimes.

A bit over AE's budget though.

Impressed by the Lancer. Almost certainly a brilliant buy. I remember them and their forebears in Africa. Very quiet suspension, and strong.
Guess AE's new car - redviper
a new Jag? (the current one is it the x type (i dont now for sure))
He bought the Lancer. And Alonovich wins.

I could make the thread read only but it might be amusing to see how the posts go for a bit.
Guess AE's new car - BobbyG
At what point during this thread are we going to get the "why did my post appear there" question??

Congrats AE on your retirement, can I strip your Altea of any parts before handing it back? Like the false boot floor????

Have you got decent wipers on it at £48 a set???
At what point during this thread are we going to get the "why did my
post appear there" question??
Congrats AE on your retirement can I strip your Altea of any parts before handing
it back? Like the false boot floor????

Did you never get the false boot floor? thats very handy. I would have let you have the engine sound cover, but you bought the wrong engine.
Have you got decent wipers on it at £48 a set???

whos cost 48 quid a set? I never had mine changed, they are still as good as the day it arrived., I will miss the Altea in many ways, It was a good choice.
Guess AE's new car - idle_chatterer
Did you consider purchasing the Altea from the lease company - it's often an option or will it appear on the 'returns list' (hazarding a guess at your employer from the usage of the term 'life event') ?

Edited by idle_chatterer on 17/11/2009 at 22:16

Ok here is the rationale behind the purchase.

I am retiring. Early. Whilst not being a pauper, money will be tight after paying off the fat mortage.
So I wanted a practical car, good for an ageing lab with a dicky leg to get in and out of. It needed to be reasonably young, not starship mileage, cheap to insure (the 9 points conviction lasts for 5 years to insurance companies).

The Lancer looks ok face and profile, has a plain bum tho. Its a very simple car, no fancy electronic gadgets, built in japan, and looking it over very well put together with what looks like durable materials.

It rides OK, it handles OK, Its not overly noisy, Its not overly thirsty for a petrol (I was *never* going to buy a second hand common rail diesel - new yes, misfueled no).

It does everything in an OK type of way. Its not a type of car you can love, or even get excited about driving. Its the type of car you put on the drive, use, without a second though except to stand in awe and wonder and say How can you get a car, that well made, that capable, that young for such a low price. And I know 10 years down the line It will owe me nothing
Its not a type of car you can love, or even get excited about driving

Unless it's an FQ360 or FQ400. Then you can. Same basic car is the Evo X.
1.6 or 2.0 ?
Nickname - Mitsubishi Stallion ?
When I grow up I want to be an Evo......
When I grow up I want to be an Evo......

The good point is, the lancer inside is alomost exacly the same as the Evo. So is the front so you can get lots of boys toys for it

Stand by for drilled racing pedals, full race harness, aluminium carpet protectors, big eff off spot lights, fulll body kit ..........................
Guess AE's new car - George Porge
Raull Estate...............

2.0 Turbo in 400bhp tune I hope.... Lancer = Evo X doesn't it :-) So it's an FQ400.

Well probably not ;-)
Its not an evo anything.

Its a 1.6 - the 2.0 drinks fuel apparently.
Do Waitrose have ANY spaces for such a thing ?

Only kidding !

Bloke I know bought one new with his car allowance instead of taking a company car. He loves it. He does wear cardigans though.....

;-)
Bloke I know bought one new with his car allowance instead of taking a company
car. He loves it. He does wear cardigans though.....

Where does he shop, I might need some fashion advice.
Its not an evo anything.

But the Evo X is a Lancer :-)
Guess AE's new car - drbe
An impeccable ..Alfa .

Will you stop doing that?

You have set off the oxymoron warning device again.
Guess AE's new car - dieselfitter
That's a lot of car for the money, AE. Private, dealer, auction or what?
dealer. Main agent that actualy sold the car new.

Edited by Altea Ego on 17/11/2009 at 17:46

Retirement isn't all it's cracked up to be - 4 days in and I'm considering looking for a job. :-(
you got no spine PU

you need to work at being lazy

Try wearing the springer out. That should cream cracker you.

Edited by Altea Ego on 17/11/2009 at 17:53

Guess AE's new car - stunorthants26
>>Avensis? wrong - didnt want to look like a taxi driver from Woking<<

Im guessing you still wanted to look like a taxi driver though since you bought THE car that only taxi drivers seem to buy!
really? they dont round here as there is no diesel option. Its all Avensi or grey import previas.

at least i know I can earn a crust in retirement then. That actually happened to me at Woking station with the Touran. I parked at the head of the taxi Queue to pick up my son from the station, and some total stranger hopped in and told me to take him home.

Edited by Altea Ego on 17/11/2009 at 18:17

My first company car was a yellow Cavalier Mk1. I lived in Edinburgh at the time which attracts a lot of American tourists. I was quite often hailed or approached as a taxi. Never had the cheek to follow it through though. I often wonder if that car was some kind of initiative test or more probably the fleet managers revenge on the young whippersnapper who got a company car when he didn't...It was actually quite good.
Guess AE's new car - Lud
That's one of the hazards of driving around in an old but still superficially respectable black cab, something I have done a few times in the past. You have to keep the doors locked because would-be punters can be quite insistent and stroppy. They don't care that there's no light showing.

Oddly enough when I was driving a minicab it didn't look much like a taxi to most people, and it was illegal anyway to pick up punters at random like that. Some drivers did it a lot - they called it blagging - but in my experience it wasn't a very good idea.
Guess AE's new car - dieselfitter
Good post, AE, as it wasn't an easy one to guess. Nightmare depreciation for the first owner, presumably. His loss is your gain.
Guess AE's new car - ifithelps
I was wondering what AE might have bought had he retired in the 1970s.

An Austin Maxi?
Oooo thats cruel.

...Oooo thats cruel...

Wasn't meant to be - the Maxi was unfairly maligned, in my view.
I think you could compare the Lancer to the avenger estate, if we were in 1973 say.
I think you could compare the Maxi to Susan Boyle......
Or perhaps a Renault 12 estate, or a 16, if we assume the wide-lapelled and kipper tied 1970s AE was an early adopter of 'foreign' cars.
He was, but he hated those strange french things they were not at all cool.
Guess AE's new car - commerdriver
I think you could compare the Lancer to the avenger estate if we were in
1973 say.

AE, A 2 year old avenger would have lasted about 2-3 more years maximum in the mid 70s, standard company car where you work in 1975-77, universally hated in the branch I joined in
Guess AE's new car - Pezzer
All the best AE hope the Lancer works out. Too young myself so no decision to make but my future looks much less assured. I sincerely hope there aren't too many multiples of 3%.
I sincerely hope there aren't too
many multiples of 3%.

5 x 3%, but thats way better than 4 or 3 x 7%'s. If I ever got allowed to go! It was a no brainer for me.
Guess AE's new car - helicopter
Retirement - Is it all its made out to be?

I reckon you will soon be bored witless watching Cash in the Attic and Countdown and looking for another job.

Friend of mine retired at Christmas last year had looked forward to it for years , went to Canada for 3 months and then returned for a month , got bored and ended up getting another job next door to where he worked before, three days a week paying more than when he worked full time.

I actually considered cutting down the workload to four days a week when I turned 60 but SWMBO soon put the kibosh on that... She does not want me lounging around the house while still capable of earning.

So its 42 years in harness and counting....

You're not far wrong - I have some stuff in the pipeline, consolidating some property and relationship in the next few months, will re-asses after that. The flip side a lot of people I know have died young (in harness) recently and life is for the living.
Retirement, particularly early, seems to suit some but not others.

I know of several police officers who retired at not much over 50 who went rapidly downhill and, in some cases, didn't live very long.

However, I know of plenty more who are well-chuffed, drawing a pension more than most of us earn and working part-time as well.

Seems to me it's a bit like winning the Lottery.

There are winners who say it has ruined their life, but the overwhelming majority are more than happy.

My dad retired early at 55 and after a couple of months started as a volunteer at the local Hospice, driving patients a couple of times a week.

He is now 77 and still doing this (in his words driving the old ones about!!) and I firmly believe that as well as the usual family etc etc, the hospice has kept him sane, kept him focussed and also kept him with some structure to his week.
Well good history in the family - Dad's 85 and active - still does some odd bits of hands off work (due to his speciality) and he had a hand op in September and made a remarkable recovery according to his consultant. So there's genetic hope.
Well said, Bobby G.

I expect most of us who are in full-time work curse the job at times, but it gives you something to get up for in the morning.

My lifestyle for many years involved being astonishingly busy for chunks of three months punctuated by being more or less stood down for a further three months. So you go from working 16 hour days pretty much 7 days a week to virtual retirement and then back to the busy periods.

I found that apart from the first "free" week when I more or less slept for most of it that it was very important to have some structure to my days. A hobby such as swimming or something which you do every day at the same time.

Edited by Humph Backbridge on 18/11/2009 at 12:26

Dont get mne wrong guys I need to work! The pension will only pay off the (admitedly rather large) mortgage, and pay the food and utility bills for the house. I wil lneed to work to pay for holidays and eating out and keeping the overworked wine rack stocked.

But I can take a few months off and recharge the batteries after 39 years non stop employment.

I have a job, nay career in mind for the next phase of my life and have put my name down on a waiting list for consideration. Rob (rtj70) knows what it is. And no, no contest or clues on this one.
Guess AE's new car - JH
AE,
I suspect that it is "congratulations" on the early retirement, and good luck with the new career. Gordon has given many people an opportunity which they are enjoying. Shame about the others.

Good luck and let's see if we can recognise you when you come back in disguise.

JH
Good luck and let's see if we can recognise you when you come back in disguise.

Just come back to this thread. His new name will be reflected in the thread author's name.

I hope the new name ends up being really cheesy. Lancer-lot maybe ;-)
Guess AE's new car - Big Bad Dave
"I have a job, nay career in mind for the next phase of my life"

Delivering pizzas is not a career.
Guess AE's new car - Lud
Delivering pizzas is not a career.

And if you must do it in a Lancer, make it an Evo can't you?
You can't top delivering pizzas :-)
...You can't top delivering pizzas :-)...

PU,

You've had all day, sat in the house, doin' nowt, (while some of us are hard at it keeping the country's lights on) and that's the best you can come up with? :)
I'll have you know I've been out for a paper, coffee in my favourite caff, a natter with a chum that called and done some painting......oh and sent the dog for a walk on its own !
Guess AE's new car - Big Bad Dave
"and that's the best you can come up with?"

I thought that was pretty good, I had to wipe a tear away.
You can't top delivering pizzas :-)

>>
ho Ho HO - perhaps he plans a a seasonal job with elfs and no safety?
Guess AE's new car - R75
Ummm, I assume my post went walkies as it was a correct guess!!!!!
>>Seems to me it's a bit like winning the Lottery.
>>
and the weather is always good when I go out.
( if it is poor I stay in)
and the weather is always good when I go out.
( if it is poor I stay in)

Which is why we're all on here today!
Guess AE's new car - perro
I retired at 39 and I'm neither dead nor bored at 57... I'm between 12 &13st @ 6ft, don't take any statins, beta blockers, calcium channel blockers, ace inhibitors etc., etc., etc.
I haven't visited a GP for 16 years (praps thats why!) as I am my own healer.
When I sold my small mobile tuning business back in 92, I went to Tenerife to lay on the beach for 3 months to clear my ed (yes, I'm married)
I used to talk to people over there that just could not un-wind (or retire) work was/is their life!
I might start work again in a couple of years though - when the property market picks up, the ideal is to do something you actually enjoy doing (and the money helps!)
I met a Farmer once up on The Moor, he told me he never takes a holiday, "why's that I asks" cos he luvs his work and everyday is a holiday to him :)
Guess AE's new car - tunacat
Sounds like a good buy, AE, but I do have one question:

They're not actually terribly big, those Lancer estates,
is it really big enough for someone who's used to having an Altea or a Touran?

Guess AE's new car - Stuartli
0-100 in under 24 hours...:-)
0-100 in under 24 hours...:-)

about the same perfromance as the car then
Guess AE's new car - RobertyBob
Both Mrs RB and I retired early two years ago. Best thing we ever did...

As so many of my retired friends say... ?How on earth did I ever find time to go to work??

Our retirement car? The MX-5 of course :-)