2001 2.0DTi Thermostat renewal - mickyh7
I need to renew the thermostat on my Vectra DTi. But since it comes in a housing,its going to cost almost £30 ! Is there a way of fitting an ordinary stat into my existing housing ? Seems stupid to have to replace the whole lot to me.
If not - Where's the cheapest place,on the net, to get the whole lot ? Thanks.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/11/2009 at 14:00

20 2.0 Thermostat - piston power
e bay have them so do autovaux are they held in with a circlip?

You may have to buy the whole lot but even at £30.00 that does not seem too bad.
20 2.0 Thermostat - Dynamic Dave
Depends where you buy it from. Some suppliers will just sell you the thermostat that fits into the existing housing, where others will sell you the thermostat and housing.

btw, what's the correct year of your Vectra? It's obviously not 20. Let us know and either I or one of the other mods will edit it for you. DD
20 2.0 Thermostat - mickyh7
Sorry 2001 2.0 DTi . It doesn't look like the stat comes out of the housing. That's why I posted Dave,to see if there was a 'Trade Trick' to get it out ? Seems like a bonkers waste of money for a £3 thermostat !
20 2.0 Thermostat - piston power
Seems like a bonkers waste of money for a £3 thermostat !

The last one i got for the ford Ka was £10.00 and that just fits in £3.00 maybe 20 yrs ago.
Sorted,Quinton Hazell part No. QTH600K £5 came with a removal/refitting kit. 1/2 hour job. Old stat was stuck open.
Thanks to all who replied.

bigtee - Its an internet world now and we are in a recession. If you search around, you can find proper prices. After searching the Net,for 5 minutes, I only had to drive 1.5 miles ! That's £25 saved to spend on fun things tonight !!!
20 2.0 Thermostat - Chris M
It's a good feeling saving money and one I like myself!

One thing to bear in mind though with buying off internet is what quality are you getting. I'd be very happy with QH, but if the part just came in a plastic bag, you may have wasted time fitting a part that was little better than the old one.

Another advantage of fitting a complete housing, at least from the trade's point of view, is there's no wasted time cleaning up the mating surface and having to use tons of sealant.
Another advantage of fitting a complete housing, at least from the trade's point of view, is there's no wasted time cleaning up the mating surface and having to use tons of sealant.

I don't understand this - If you remove the housing you still have to clean up the mating surface and use new sealant ?
Changing the stat took 10 seconds, once the housing was off and 10 seconds to fit the new one (just twists in). My part,once sourced from the Net,was collected from the Factors,in a box with a removal/refitting tube,a sachet of rubber grease and three 'O' rings. And full comprehensive instructions.

Bargain in my book !

Edited by mickyh7 on 07/11/2009 at 13:29